YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>OK, so a mate of mine is doing my PADI Deep Diver Spec. in a couple of weeks time, but I don't have a manual.

I don't really need it for reference etc., I just need to do the knowledge reviews beforehand.

Has anyone got a copy I can borrow for a couple of nights in the Nottingham area?

Even better, has someone got one for sale at a bargain student price?

If anyone can help, please e-mail me at [email protected] PM me or call on 07813873189.

Digs.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi,

I would urge you/your mate not to waste money on the deep specialty and do the PADI basic nitrox course instead as it is far more usefull. I did the deep course a few years ago when I knew no better

Mark.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Trouble is Mark if you dont do it and go beyong current cert level i.e. 30m AOW you might invalidate any life insurance.

Regards
Matt

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ May 18 2003,18:05)]go beyong current cert level i.e. 30m AOW you might invalidate any life insurance.

Regards
Matt
<font color='#000080'>So don't dive beyond your cert level/training

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

In that case Matt he should stick to 30 mtrs and get a normoxic trimix or equivalent to do the deeper stuff and get proper training. This PADI scheme to get people to dive deep on air usually with Recreational kit is ludicrous and dangerous. Going deeper than 30 mtrs realistically ventures into deco and therefore eliminates the ESA (Emergency Swimming Ascent) advantage of rec diving. I know this will be controversial to some but its the truth.

WL

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Mark
in one breath you are saying dont do the deep speciality in the next get correct training. Which is it? If Diggers mate wants to do a deep (>30m) dive surely he should do a course/speciality. Yet you seem to advocate do a Nitrox course which I didnt think included a deep dive.
Matt

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Matt,

I said don't exceed you training. Like WL says, if you want to dive deeper than 30m there are far better ways of doing it than on air with recreational gear and a poxy PADI deep diver ticket. I found the course to be very short on information and mainly just to give you the experience of being narked at 40m on air. Whats the point of that? If you want to dive deep do a normoxic trimix course. The nitrox course will be of far more overall benefit than the deep ticket (even if it is only to 30m - which is a good thing anyway).

Mark.

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

So what started out as 'any body got a manual' has ended up as a push to do normoxic trimix which needs Eanx as a starting 'badge' for somebody that might want to dive to 35m which would excedd his AOW 'badge'.  Is this not a bit of overkill chaps. I might do Scapa next year so I'd need some sort of training to go deeper than 30m or risk life insurance invalidity but now you guys are suggesting I go trimix with stage cylinders etc.  

Matt

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>The Padi deep dive speciality was part of my adventure diver cert. It explained the basics of narcosis and how it can affect the diver and it went into kit configuration for safety, dive planning for deep dives etc. BUT the PADI idea of a deep dive is in the 30m range.

It was an OK course as an introduction to someone who has only done 15-20m so far. I dont regret doing it. When I did it it was my first 30m dive.

Whilst I aplaud the use of Trimix in the 40+ range I think leeping from 15-20m dives streight into normoxic trimix is a bit much. Bear in mind that TDI have a max training depth of 60m for that course. I did a lot of 30 somthings and a fair few accelorated deco before venturing into that zone.

On my deep dive the instructor sugested using a redundant air supply for low viz diving so he wasn't actualy advocating single tank diving in any thing less than the clear blue waters of PADI land.

So my advice is, if you are venturing into 30+ for the first time it's an OK course. I am sure the UK instructors will do a bit of adapting for ambient conditions. That said, get a pony now or twin up, NO ARGUMENT unless your planning on Red Sea only and IMHO even in the clear blue stuff redundancy is a good thing.

Any course is a good course if the instructor is a good instructor.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Mark Chase

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Mark (Chase)
ow = 18m
aow = 30m
deep = 40m
all depths are max.
I agree with you in that Padi regard deep as 30/40m and as such is suitable for somebody who wants to dive to 35ish m.
Beyond that is beyond the scope of 'Deep' at which point some other course needs to be taken, maybe trimix.

Matt

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Yes Matt it seems to have gone a bit awry. By the sounds of it Digger is teaching this course and needs a manual for his student. I cannot help him but you raised the point of wanting to dive deeper and needing a cert card. I think its a bad idea and a bad policy of PADI.

My point is that why do you NEED to dive deeper than 30 mtrs. Your example is Scapa. There are unfortunately plenty of incidents in that particular area because it is seen as recreational diving and plainly isn't.

Mark Chase agrees that its doubles or pony minimum. More kit, more familiarity, possible gas switches to accelerate deco. That takes care of gas but what about narcosis ? Some of those wrecks are 40 mtr +. I'm sorry Matt, I have to disagree that the PADI course is a good idea or necessary at all.

I'll shut up now. Start a thread if you want to debate further.

WL

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ May 19 2003,18:14)]Going deeper than 30 mtrs realistically ventures into deco and therefore eliminates the ESA (Emergency Swimming Ascent) advantage of rec diving. I know this will be controversial to some but its the truth.

WL
Sorry, WL, but I simply can't agree. Firstly, a dive to, say, 35 metres doesn't necessarily mean you're in deco, unless you're doing a square-profile dive, which I rarely do. As regards getting narked (the usual reason put forward for not diving deeper than 30 metres), I dive to between 30 and 40 m on practically every dive I do (and I dive more than most) and have NEVER experienced nitrogen narcosis. I've done "dry dives" to 50 m and been quite capable of doing failrly complicated mathematical calulations and other tests of logical reasoning and getting the answers right, so don't try to convince me that I'm narked without realising it. Several of my buddies say the same. It's just not true that everybody is more or less narked over 30 m. Some are – some are significantly affected shallower than that – but some of us are not. I'm not saying I'll never experience "the raptures of the deep" but I've done 1250 dives without doing so up to now.

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

John
I have started as suggested a new thread as this one's been hijacked. Surface Interval - Padi Deep.
Matt

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ May 18 2003,18:58)]By the sounds of it Digger is teaching this course and needs a manual for his student.
LOL - Whoops - Well spotted. I'm sure Digger will fill his course with lots of excellent information

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Easy! Christ, I only wanted to borrow a manual.

FYI, I dive air to 50m, and I know what I'm doing. I know that will shock and appall many, but that's me. I'm a deep air diver, and that's just the way I am. Most of my dives are for pleasure, and the challenge of deep air diving gives me that.

I'm doing the course so that once I get my IDC done I can teach it, and also it opens the door for PADI TecRec. I don't even want to open that can of worms yet, but it's an option I'm not writing off.

I have got my amusing BSAC 50m on air ticket, otherwise known as a DL cert. No preparation offered in BSAC for these sorts of depths on a highly inappropriate gas, to be honest.

So, has anyone got a manual out there? I just want to borrow it for a few days...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

if you dive deeper than your cert level you are not breaking any laws, just club recomentations, furthermore if mr jo public went out and purchased a full set of kit dived to 100m and killed himself, would he then not be insured by his life cover?? as legaly he has not broken any laws

just a thaught

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Steve
depends on what his life cover says, possibly something along the lines of ' we shall not pay out if diving is beyond the qualification level' i.e. if you are not certified you aint covered.
You may not have broken the law but you have broken the insurance contract.

Matt

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

All this talk of PADI deep courses... I'm sure I did a Deep dive as an option for my AO in '91.  Have things changed?  I did about 42m on that dive and learnt my maths isn't any better at 40m than it is at 0m...

Didn't come with a manual - sorry Digs.  (Got that switch by the way.  Nice one.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts