YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is is possible to take the DM as an "intensive" course rather than an internment, sorry, ship? If yes, what are ball-park figures for cost and time?

Reasons for asking are:

1. Wife has expensive tastes so I need to work :embarassed:
2. Don't believe in cheap labour (wait for it....)
3. As per no.2, I refuse to spend 2 or 3 months filling cylinders and making tea for sad tossers with "Instructor" embroidered on their caps :teeth:

Much thanks.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
no.
2 sugars in mine please

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi madderthanfish ,
You could probably look at doubling your course fee without internship , plus you shouldnt have to be there full time just when ya can .regards

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Is is possible to take the DM as an "intensive" course rather than an internment, sorry, ship? If yes, what are ball-park figures for cost and time?

Reasons for asking are:

1. Wife has expensive tastes so I need to work :embarassed:
2. Don't believe in cheap labour (wait for it....)
3. As per no.2, I refuse to spend 2 or 3 months filling cylinders and making tea for sad tossers with "Instructor" embroidered on their caps :teeth:

Much thanks.
You actually get as much out of the DM course as you are prepared to put in. If you are only thinking about getting signatures in boxes, then you need to ask youself why you want to do the course in the first place.

The forms need to be signed off by the 'sad tossers', and one of the areas they look at is attitude. A key part of being a decent DM is attitude, working with a team, mucking in etc. Most instructors, you will find, will fill as many cylinders as the DM's. I don't think i have ever met one who wasn't prepared to do whatever jobs were necessary. I know a couple of CD's who spends as much time filling cylinders and drying kit as they do teaching.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The forms need to be signed off by the 'sad tossers', and one of the areas they look at is attitude.
Presumably with my attitude, does that mean that they'd fail me and I'd have to spend the rest of my life wearing a cap with "Rescue Diver" embroidered on it?

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Presumably with my attitude, does that mean that they'd fail me and I'd have to spend the rest of my life wearing a cap with "Rescue Diver" embroidered on it?

YEs, IMVHO, as one of the 'sad tossers' you mention, my day today started with cleaning the cups from yesterday's GUE course, doing 3 last minute 32% fills where IMO air would have been fine, topping off an RB O2 CYL, then the usual mundane dive shop stuff.

If you want to work in the dive industry, remember that classrooms have to be hoovered, fills have to be done, boxes of kit have to be opened and checked, and tea has to be made for the people that pay your wages. If you're not prepared to play a part in ALL of the jobs involved in running a dive centre then you're probably wasting your money doing a DM course and my advice would be save your money and spend it on dives for yourself.

If this sounds bitter, then it's not, the jobs have to be done by someone and yessterday morning, I was filling in PICs and tidying the dive store while Brian (my boss) was hoovering the classroom and tidying the shop.

Diving is an industry where we can't afford office cleaners like my old IT job.

r
P

·
11,158 Posts
However, after my 'rant', training a marine who has just finished a tour in Iraq and signing his logbook where his comment for OWD3 is "Saw my first starfish." is priceless!

r
P

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YEs, IMVHO, as one of the 'sad tossers' you mention, my day today started with cleaning the cups from yesterday's GUE course, doing 3 last minute 32% fills where IMO air would have been fine, topping off an RB O2 CYL, then the usual mundane dive shop stuff.

If you want to work in the dive industry, remember that classrooms have to be hoovered, fills have to be done, boxes of kit have to be opened and checked, and tea has to be made for the people that pay your wages. If you're not prepared to play a part in ALL of the jobs involved in running a dive centre then you're probably wasting your money doing a DM course and my advice would be save your money and spend it on dives for yourself.

If this sounds bitter, then it's not, the jobs have to be done by someone and yessterday morning, I was filling in PICs and tidying the dive store while Brian (my boss) was hoovering the classroom and tidying the shop.

Diving is an industry where we can't afford office cleaners like my old IT job.

r
P
It does sound ever so slightly bitter, in my opinion :) but where did I state that I wanted to work in the dive industry???

If I wanted a crap, mind-numbingly boring job with pathetic wages and the potential to be hurt, (or worse!), I'd rather go back to driving a lorry, thank you all the same.

·
11,158 Posts
It does sound ever so slightly bitter, in my opinion :)
Well it isn't.

madderthanafish said:
but where did I state that I wanted to work in the dive industry???
MSD is the highest non-professional PADI qualification, DM is generally accepted to be a qualification for those who intend to make money - or expect free or cheap diving.

madderthanafish said:
If I wanted a crap, mind-numbingly boring job with pathetic wages and the potential to be hurt, (or worse!), I'd rather go back to driving a lorry, thank you all the same.
See my follow-up post, there are some things that you can not put a price on.

·
to far from a ocean
468 Posts
no.
2 sugars in mine please
None for me and just a bit of milk ...ta
OR
I am sure if you were to fly to America there are lots of places that would love to take your money and sign you off, then you would be a real DM then
have a nice day :)

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
It does sound ever so slightly bitter, in my opinion :) but where did I state that I wanted to work in the dive industry???

I'll ask again, seeing as you didn't answer Scubee's question - why do you want to become a Divemaster?

Sue. Who apparently must be another sad tosser, with no baseball cap, or t-shirt that says instructor on it, enough pay to get by on, but with a fantastic lifestyle in the Med, diving everyday with people that come out of the water with faces beaming.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts

and is there a problem with that - what are your motivations for wanting to do a DM course ? Doen't sound like you or your wife actually wants to use the qualification, after all DM's are just cheap labour :D

Sorry Sue you seem to have asked the same question.

Is there really that much kudos in being a DM :wink:

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Like it or not the DiveMaster qualification is the first rung on the Professional ladder and needs to be approached with that in mind. Even if you don't intend to move up the ladder or work in hte industry, then to wear the badge, you have to be as professional as those that do.

One of the key roles of a DiveMaster is to support the Instructor in all ways, be it carrying stuff, filling stuff, cleaning stuff.....whatever. The role is not designed for those with vanity and ego because the focus should be on ensuring that students get a quality training experience.

One of the most fulfilling parts of the role can be when a student asks the DM for advice. This happens frequently because the DM is often seen as more easily approached and if the DM is working well in a team with the Instructor then the Instructor can be sure the student is gettting sound advice or help.

The Industry is full to the gunwhales of DiveMaster Cert holders .... but there are a lot less who actually perform the role on an on-going basis.

HTH
Mal

1 - 20 of 44 Posts