YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just after somw advice...
Im a BSAC dive leader and OWI, but I don't have a clue about PADI...yet!

I want to get my PADI DM on the way- ideally theory over here and somewhere abroad for the practical part. I live down south... (Bournemouth) and wonder if any of you have any ideas for me. (Looking for a cost effective route as I have just splashed out on new kit :money: )!

Thanks in advance for any help! :teeth:

Lou

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Why not do the OWSI? PADI DM is a bit of a no-mans-land.

Chris

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hi guys, just after somw advice...
Im a BSAC dive leader and OWI, but I don't have a clue about PADI...yet!

I want to get my PADI DM on the way- ideally theory over here and somewhere abroad for the practical part. I live down south... (Bournemouth) and wonder if any of you have any ideas for me. (Looking for a cost effective route as I have just splashed out on new kit :money: )!

Thanks in advance for any help! :teeth:

Lou
OWI - Open Water Instructor? If that is the case you are looking at doing a crossover to OWSI (Open Water Scuba Instructor) which means doing the IDC (Instructor Development Course).

Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
I second that.. If you want to start to earn and teach, OWSI is the best route...
I would start with the Assistant Instructor then straight into OWSI

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Theory for DM, AI and OSWI basically can all be gleamed by getting hold of the diver knowledge workbook. The questions, format, answers are all in there and the standard is identical to the exams.

Its definitely worth getting hold of that, the encyclopaedia of recreational diving and if possible the open water + divemaster books.

Those really contain everything you'll need or at least most of it.

I went from BSAC DL & IFC to PADI DM then PADI OWSI then crossover back to BSAC so ive bounced around a fair bit.

PADI is VERY different to bsac in its approach to instructing and format of courses so it takes a while to get used to this far more rigid approach.

However it has to be said the padi written materials and media are far superior to anything BSAC offers.

It'll take some getting used to, you dont NEED to do divemaster before crossing over but working as one will get you introduced to how padi works in general so could be beneficial.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the quick replies.
Was thinking DM because I don't have a scooby about PADI...

Im not too interested in earning pennies, but I would like the option to help out abroad and have a cheap holiday here and there.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Lucy,

I went the other way....PADI DM then crossed over to DL. I'd say if you're BSAC OWI then you'll be looking to an instructor grade in the PADI system rather than DM....but depends on what skills PADI determine as transferable.

If you're looking for a cheap way of crossing over then PADI might be the wrong move at the moment !!!! But I can lend you the Instructor Manual if you want (I'm in Weymouth but work in Christchurch).

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Buy a PADI instructor manual off ebay and have a read. If you can teach you can teach. What you need to learn is the sylabus. DM does that but it is covering old ground for you. (mind its cheaper than OWSI)...

To retain OWSI status you need to cert up at least 25 students a year (or at least you did in my day) Someone will give you a more current figure no doubt.

Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice... scuttler I am interested in borrowing your manual for a week or so. Would be nice to read up on what to expect!

If I have to train 25 students a year it might be more sensible for me to do DM then? And by "train" do you mean instruct a whole grade?!

·
Top Bloke
2,674 Posts
To retain OWSI status you need to cert up at least 25 students a year (or at least you did in my day) Someone will give you a more current figure no doubt.

Chris
Never heard of that before it must be a very, very long time ago.

Lucy,

I went the other way....PADI DM then crossed over to DL. I'd say if you're BSAC OWI then you'll be looking to an instructor grade in the PADI system rather than DM....but depends on what skills PADI determine as transferable.
PADI do not transfer any skills you have to be able to do all the PADI skills.

It is quite a task if you have only ever done BSAC but not insurmountable. Just make sure you get a good CD that can help across to the other side :)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
You dont need to teach ANY students to stay current. There's no annual minimum with PADI at all.

The only one i can think of time limited is if you dont teach EFR for something like 2 years you have to attend a refresher.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Being a PADI Instructor is not cheap! You have to maintain subs (about £100 a year IIRC, plus insurance (unless your organisation will cover your liability insurance) you have to have a current First Aid or Emergency First Response certification. Obviously you'll have to pay for the actual course(s).

I suspect that PADI will ask you to do the IDC and IE.

*next bit taken from PADI website*

To qualify for training as a PADI Open Water Instructor, you must:

• PADI Assistant Instructor certification or be an instructor in good standing with another training organization for at least six months (check with a PADI Course Director or PADI Office for qualifying credentials.)
  • Hold a dive certification for at least six months
  • Have 60 logged dives that include night, deep and navigation dives
  • Proof of CPR training within the last 24 months
  • Medical clearance signed by a physician

Now what they don't tell you is that you will need 100 dives to actually qualify!!....you can start the course after 60 dives but until you have 100 dives you won't get your cert card........have to say I doubt many would take you on before you had 100 anyway.....but who knows.

PM sent regarding the Instructor Manual but bear in mind.....nothing contained in the manual will tell you anything about what is required to be an instructor......it only tells you the course requirements for the courses between Open Water Diver and Divemaster.....and none of the specialities.

The Instructor course may also require you to have access to some other manuals/materials (depending on who you do it with). These are:

The Law and the Diving Professional

The Business of Diving

The Best of the Undersea Journal

Children and Scuba Diving Book

PADI Instructor Manual (Paper Version)

or PADI Instructor Manual (Digital Version)

Instructor Candidate Workbook

Aware Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Outline

Project AWARE Specialty Outline

Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Outline

Confined Water Lesson Preparation Slate

Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning Slate

Confined Water Cue Cards

Open Water Cue Cards

Adventures in Diving Cue Cards

Rescue Diver Cue Cards

Open Water Diver Quizzes & Exam booklet

Rescue Diver Exam Booklet

Divemaster Exam Booklet

Diving Knowledge Workbook

The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving

RDP Table

RDP Wheel

eRDP

Open Water Diver Manual with RDP/Imperial

Adventures in Diving Manual & Data Carrier

Rescue Diver Manual w/Slate

Divemaster Manual

Divemaster Slates (4)

DSD Instructor Cue card

I have some of these but some places will charge between £200 and £400 for a material pack and between £300 to £500 for the Instructor course.

·
Top Bloke
2,674 Posts
I suspect that PADI will ask you to do the IDC and IE.
They most certainly will require you to do both.

The list of materials you quote is a little out of date though and it is not..

The Instructor course may also require you to have access to some other manuals/materials
It actually is you MUST have your own personal set during the course and afterwards for reference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wow, lots of kit and money by the looks! Im on dive 101 at the moment, and the first aid shouldnt be a problem as I have regular updates in my job as a qualified nurse.
I guess I need to find a place then. Any suggestions?

·
Top Bloke
2,674 Posts
Where ?

North of Watford Gap I would suggest Go Dive. Price £299
South of that I would suggest Diverse Scuba (obviously) Price £499
If you insist on doing it near home then Fathom and Blues. (just tell Dale I suggested her) Price £750.

These prices are for the full IDC which is the AI and OWSI parts of the course.

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
Go to Forward Diving (Poole) and have a Chat with Steve Axtell, he's also a member on here (sas steve) so you could PM him.

He's a PADI course director and will be able to tell you anything you need to know and point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wicked I'll have a look around- Im bout half way between Poole and Southampton so might be onto a couple of good leads! Thanks! x

·
NULLI-SECUNDUS
1,016 Posts
After you have done the IDC you have to do the IE (extra 2 days) which is a extra £360-£400 paid to PADI.
Pop into Forward Diving and speak to Steve.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 54 Posts