YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Hi all,
Started my DMs last weekend....has anyone got any advice, hints, tips or suggestions on how to get the most out of the course?
Cheers..
Be prepared to lug endless amounts of kit around, spend a lot of time bobbing up and down between 6m and the surface, and hold people's hands.

Am partway through mine and still enjoying it, although I'm dreading the swimtest (which I'll probably do in Crete in Sept).

Good luck and have fun :)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Well done on starting your course... the DM Internship (which I presume you are doing) is all dependant on you really... you really do get out of it what you put in...

so.... ask questions, show willingness, support the instructor and you will find that you are given tasks and responsibility and skills that will eventually make you a super DM...

be alert, help with student diver flow, keep an efficient eye on students both on surface as well as underwater, whilst on skills and underwater tours stay with the group and be a strong support for the instructor... nothing worse than having to worry about the group staying together and the DM staying with the group...

and most importantly.. smile and enjoy... hard work but worth it... :)

B x

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
help with student diver flow,
What does that mean?

Best tip for a DM is to spend alot of time watching people, spotting problems and managing them in a way that prevents them re-occuring.

It's fine line ... sometimes you need to step in and fix the problem for the student where immediate safety is concerned, other times you have to be there to support the student whilst they fix the problem themselves.

A little game I used to play with other DMs was who could resolve the most problems. It requires you to be constantly assessing the situaion, pre kit up, during kitting up and then in the water. Always make sure you're closest to the problem so you can resolve it.

Be professional about this of course and always support your instructor....if the Instructor is talking ... shut up ... the students want to listen to them not you! However some students will find you more approachable than the instructor so use your judgement to give sound advice or defer to the instructor. Always let the Instructor know what you did .. especially at the beginning.

Make sure your own diving is squared away.

HTH
Mal

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
What does that mean?

Best tip for a DM is to spend alot of time watching people, spotting problems and managing them in a way that prevents them re-occuring.

It's fine line ... sometimes you need to step in and fix the problem for the student where immediate safety is concerned, other times you have to be there to support the student whilst they fix the problem themselves.

A little game I used to play with other DMs was who could resolve the most problems. It requires you to be constantly assessing the situaion, pre kit up, during kitting up and then in the water. Always make sure you're closest to the problem so you can resolve it.

Be professional about this of course and always support your instructor....if the Instructor is talking ... shut up ... the students want to listen to them not you! However some students will find you more approachable than the instructor so use your judgement to give sound advice or defer to the instructor. Always let the Instructor know what you did .. especially at the beginning.

Make sure your own diving is squared away.

HTH
Mal

Well said.. you are good eh...

student diver flow... a true PADI term... oh my god I have been brainwashed... :teeth:

B x

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
What does that mean?
Officially, it means making sure the students are lined in the optimum position up ready for the next exercise, and then adjusting as required during the exercises.

Unofficially it means grabbing them by their tank valves and lugging them from here to there, then doing Barbara Woodhouse impressions .... SIT! .... STAY!!

:)

·
A man of many talents - sadly all well hidden...
1,339 Posts
Unofficially it means grabbing them by their tank valves and lugging them from here to there, then doing Barbara Woodhouse impressions .... SIT! .... STAY!!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Unofficially I thought it meant sending them straight from the changing room to the till to pay for the kit you've just advised them is a 'must-have'! :teeth:

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
If you are old enough to remember MASH, react like Radar and do things before being asked.

Make sure you can kit up and de-kit really quickly.

Be subtle when correcting people so that you don't humiliate them.

Learn how to fix things and trouble shoot with equipment.

If bits won't fit together (like inflator hoses) use spit. It's magic.

Watch how the instructor works with students and if you respect and admire the instructor, pick up hints and tips and use them (I did and I learned a lot of tricks).

Work through all of the Diving Knowledge Workbook. If you can answer all those questions you will be fine in the theory exams.

Best of luck. :)

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Can't add much to the sage advice of the previous posters. However, be prepared to deal with some 'trying' people. Grin and bear it, shrug it off, but keep your cool.

A lot of people (blokes especially*) are embarassed when they learn to dive and find they aren't immediately dive-gods, or struggle to pick up seemingly simple tasks. Some get stroppy, some become a bit obnoxious or arrogant. Mostly they are covering up their own apprehensions or embarassment.

Hxxx

*My worst student, however, was a woman so far up her own arse I'm surprised she didn't turn herself inside out. I don't know what she was doing on a course as she knew it all already! :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Instructors Job

Hi all,
Started my DMs last weekend....has anyone got any advice, hints, tips or suggestions on how to get the most out of the course?
Cheers..
Just a thought ...has your Instructor given you any advice on this?

I would have imagined that your question would have been covered very early on by the person(s) training you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a thought ...has your Instructor given you any advice on this?

I would have imagined that your question would have been covered very early on by the person(s) training you.
Yes, he gave an in depth breifing about all aspects of the course....just wanted to draw on experience of others who have done it. any hints or tips or experiences they've had on the course.

Thanks for info everyone!!!

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
Make sure that you can bend over and pick things up from the floor while fully kitted up. you'll be amazed at how many times you have to do this.
Above all else, remember it is supposed to be fun.:)

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Make sure that you can bend over and pick things up from the floor while fully kitted up. you'll be amazed at how many times you have to do this.
Do not wreck your back by bending to pick up stuff when you are weighted up! Use your legs, down and up!

The last thing you want in the middle of training is to knacker your back. You've only got one and injuries can keep you out of the water for a long time. And remember its not just you, you are being a role model for your student divers who may not be quite as fit and strong as you.

Stay healthy, you'll dive for longer!

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
It's not all drudge. :)

A lot of posters have (correctly) pointed out the things that you need to watch out for.

However remember you are not the instructor's slave, more of an apprentice.
Yep, you will be asked to make tea, fill out dive logs etc.etc. and another poster on another thread felt that this was a bit below them, but don;t forget the instructors are doing this 7 days a week, not just during the day or so per week that they work.

The payoffs, though not financial, are great, I can remember how 'made up' Kirstie was when a student wanted to hold her hand, as she can remember being the hand holder rather than the hand-holdee :)

As Mal said, the students will find you more approachable, but they will also express appreciation to you at the end of the course.

It's a good feeling, helping someone take what can be a life-changing step as the learn the sport that we all love.

Learn all you can from your instructor, but don't copy them, nick their best ideas and try to have your own style.

Be honest and be yourself.

hth
P

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.