YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Recevied an email the other day offering EFR course.  Has anyone done it and if so was it any good ?

I did the BSAC O2 Admin and First Aid for divers in 96 / 97 so I am a bit rusty.

Cheers

FB

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

I did the EFR (and EFR Instructor) courses this year.

The course materials are comprehensive.
The quality of the course itself, like many will partially depend on the instructor.

The preferred method is home study - book/video, followed by practice sessions.

The course concentrates on basic first aid (ABCD'S) airway, breathing, circulation, debrillation and shock/serious bleeding/spinal injury management.
Emphasis is placed on keeping yourself safe (dangerous environments, protective barriers) and actually trying to help.

You will begin with (practice in) correct procedure to open airways including in possible cases of spinal injury.
You then repeat this plus checking for breathing and providing rescue breathing.
You then repeat all this plus checking for circulation - while checking a pulse is demonstrated, the main way is to check for movement.  Studies have shown that looking for a pulse can waste time and be ineffective.  Chest compressions are provided if necessary.
Use of an Automated External Defibrillator is an optional additional skill.

Dealing with shock, serious bleeding and potential spinal injuries is then added to the practice circuit.

Second aid is covered for determining and dealing with less serious injuries.  
Provision of Oxygen with continous flow/demand valve is an optional skill.

It's a comprehensive course which is worth doing.  Concentrating on practicing skills and trying to help - if they're already dead you can't make things any worse.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skipper @ Jan. 30 2004,14:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gary Jeffries @ Jan. 30 2004,14:07)]Agree with the above...... but it is a bit cheesy
A bit!

err.... its "very" American  
<font color='#0000FF'>In that case as I am not a huge fan of the Americans I'll give it a miss and just re-read my old O2 stuff.  Just thought I needed an update.  I'll save the 85 squid and go diving instead.

Hopefully will not need the skills, Hadn't even heard of the "D" after ABC.    

Fiona

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skipper @ Jan. 30 2004,14:16)]err.... its "very" American  
<font color='#000080'>aren't all the PADI courses? i just loved the little scenarios at the start of every chapter of my DM course, they were unbelievably cheesy!!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Frogman,
Yes it does! (I "volunteered" to become a first aider at work for this vary reason!)
One thing I would say, though, is that there are some differences between the UK "First aid at Work" course and the American EFR course... and your RD exam requires the EFR answers, not the FAAW ones....  

(had a few good discussions with my RD course leader on these...  
)

Hope this helps,
abucks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phil Ennis @ Jan. 30 2004,15:02)]Any CPR ticket will do for RD. But EFR is compulsory for DM.
Is that right..... Evaluation form just says "current CPR", or am i looking at an old one?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>You could be right actually Gary, I have just checked the manual and it doesn't mention EFR specifically.

I am sure that the old Medic First Aid was compulsory and just presumed EFR would be.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Nortcliff @ Jan. 30 2004,11:32)]It's a comprehensive course which is worth doing.  Concentrating on practicing skills and trying to help - if they're already dead you can't make things any worse.
<font color='#0000FF'>I agree, and IMHO this course is 100 X better than the old MFA course.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Jan. 30 2004,14:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skipper @ Jan. 30 2004,14:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gary Jeffries @ Jan. 30 2004,14:07)]Agree with the above...... but it is a bit cheesy
A bit!

err.... its "very" American  
In that case as I am not a huge fan of the Americans I'll give it a miss and just re-read my old O2 stuff.  Just thought I needed an update.  I'll save the 85 squid and go diving instead.

Hopefully will not need the skills, Hadn't even heard of the "D" after ABC.    

Fiona
Guess I should have saved myself the effort of trying to explain the course to you if "it's very American" is then enough to put you off without further explanation.
That's obviously a reason not to take a very worthwhile course.

Your old O2 stuff will not help you in most situations.  Current CPR training will and it doesn't have to be EFR.  The most important thing is repeated PRACTICE.

The people that you are most likely to use these skills with are your own family...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts