YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You just have to love this.

I've been following a thread about diving with corrected vision when a suggestion came up for these masks

Now these masks frankly look a little weird, but I almost wet myself when I saw that you can actually do a PADI speciality course to dive with this mask!!

You gotta love it. A speciality course to dive with a mask....... as oppossed to diving with what exactly?

Wouldnt you just love to know how many of these courses have been sold?

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Where do I sign up??? I MUST get my MSD somehow... If I just do the diving with a mask, fins and wet suit specialities I'll be there and I'll be the lord of all divers and they will bow down before me!!! :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
ok new mask, but a speciality course, they're takin the eerrm buiscuit arent they!?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Dont want the Speciality but what's with the masks, watched a couple of the videos, oh no I want one, I don't need it but I want one....

mhhhh internet shopping...

Argh I must resist...

Davie

·
1,171 Posts
Is this the £1500 mask?
If so you'd think you'd get the PADI speciality course for free.

lol....can anyone find the words free and PADI in the same sentence anywhere else?

David.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Those with 20/20 vision have to wear contacts for it to work.
Dont know about you, but never having worn them, i'd need advice
before sticking them in and even thinking about going diving in them.

On top of that there are some real issues depending what your eyes are
like.

Could get the Saturday muppet at the LDS to tell me, or I could get
someone who knows what they are talking about.

More you read, you realise it's not so dumb.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
I think the twin turbo purge valve sold it to me:) mmmmm twin turbos

·
The plan is vital, it's something to deviate from.
487 Posts
I had a talk to guy on their stand at the Birmingham dive show - these masks work like the dome port on a camera - essentially the dome of the mask acts as a lens underwater and creates an image of the subject which is much closer than the real object, which is why you need contacts unless you're short sighted. The up side is that your field of vision is greatly increased (Apparently, I didn't buy one, see the downsides later) and they claim improved hand/eye co-ordination as a result. The downsides were the sheer size of them, the volume looked huge, and the cost. Can't remember how much exactly, but I needed a cup of tea and a sit down when I found out*.

*But I'm from Yorkshire. The county anthem starts 'How bl**dy much?'

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts

·
ego postulo urino
3,325 Posts
You just have to love this.

I've been following a thread about diving with corrected vision when a suggestion came up for these masks

Now these masks frankly look a little weird, but I almost wet myself when I saw that you can actually do a PADI speciality course to dive with this mask!!

You gotta love it. A speciality course to dive with a mask....... as oppossed to diving with what exactly?

Wouldnt you just love to know how many of these courses have been sold?
So when's your course booked for?? :D

·
Registered
495 Posts
One of our students bought one of these (he got his parents to bring it over from South Africa) and he said that he loved it. I am quite myopic (-3.75 and -3.5) and also at that age where vari/bi- focals are a must so I normally dive with multifocal contact lenses. After talking to this guy I tried his mask briefly in the pool and must say that it was quite comfortable and the field of vision was increased (but it didn't really seem to be 350% more). The purge valves made clearing it a doddle even with the increased space.

Now to the downsides. As I mentioned above I am at that age where I wear varifocals and despite the blurb on the website I found that although my distance vision was OK I had a real problem reading my computer and gauges. Second problem for me was that they are made out of plastic (polycarbonate I think) so they are more prone to scratching than glass and they don't recommend spit to keep them clear. They also come in a special box, which is HUGE to keep them safe. The final little niggle is that unless you can keep all of the water out any that is left in will pool at the bottom of the lenses, which means that if you look straight down at anything you are looking through the pool of water and therefore losing the corrective benefit of the curved lens.

IMHO compared to contacts and a Beaver Atomic these are a PITA and carrying a spare isn't a viable option.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Ive got 20/20 Vision and dont fancy sticking things in my eyes, euch!

Pity as at £150 if its as good as it says it could have been a go.

Davie.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts