YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· "hardly ever here"
771 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gary Jeffries @ Jan. 28 2004,08:55)]just wondering whether to get this ticket too?
well that's pretty much all it is, a ticket.

if i wanted to develop my experience in certain areas, great, i'd do so.

if i felt the best way to do that was PADI specialty courses, then i'd do it that way (although in most cases i wouldn't, i'd just dive with people who had experience in that area and learn from them)

but i wouldn't pay the extra for the PIC, just so i got a badge saying 'master scuba diver'.

it wouldn't let me actually do any more, and most people looking would probably just think "fine, she's done 5 specialties.... so?"

my opinion anyway  

· "hardly ever here"
771 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I had a diver turn up a dive centre I worked at who had learned to dive in Thailand and was an MSD with only 30 dives to her name including specialities in boat, multi-level and my own favourite reef diver.
something's wrong there then, as you need 50 logged dives for the MSD qualification.

· "hardly ever here"
771 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i've come across the situation daz was talking about.....

while i was holidaying on a well-known malaysian resort island, i let it be known that i had a divemaster qualification, because i wanted to do a certain dive which only DMs or instructors were allowed to do.

after that, i was buddied on every dive with people less experienced than myself - although these dives were technically led by one of the school DMs, i was often left to sort out people's problems while the DM got on with the important business of navigating along the reef wall!

also, people were allowed to do as many shore dives as they wanted, but night dives weren't allowed without a DM. since the school DMs seldom went out, i got quite a few people i didn't know coming up to me and asking if i'd take them in!

of course i didn't really mind any of the above - since i was travelling by myself i didn't have a buddy of my own, and was happy to dive with anyone..... but i have to admit i had a lot more fun on the dives where i was put with more experienced people

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.