YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Not as tall in real life
3,947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Geoff Milne @ Jan. 29 2004,17:09)]Bit disconcerted by some of the previous comments suggesting DM and Inst would wish to 'hide' their qualifications so as not to be bothered by other divers. Are we not a friendly bunch, with a common interest? I would hope that if I approached someone more qualified or experienced than me, they would be more than happy to help.
Geoff,

If truth be told I am sure every DM/Instructor on here would be more than glad to share his experience or advice if required.

However I do know of quite a few who do not take their pro certs on holiday and stick with a RD cert or similar.

It is not unheard of for a dive outfit to place divers who have limited experience or training with a fellow paying patron who happens to be an instructor or similar.

Obviously a straight "Sorry but I have my own asperations for this dive and would prefer to buddy someone with more experience who has similar asperations" would probably work, but some people just do not like to say "No" when put on the spot and feel obliged to look after the inexperienced buddy they have been placed with.

Not carrying a professional cert can avoid the situation to some degree but it does not mean these are unhelpful, miserable sods.  They are usually also paying customers who want to actually enjoy their diving and meet some personal asperations that they do not normally get when working with students and the like.

Daz

· Not as tall in real life
3,947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Jan. 30 2004,12:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Jan. 29 2004,18:26)]Obviously a straight "Sorry but I have my own asperations for this dive and would prefer to buddy someone with more experience who has similar asperations" would probably work, but some people just do not like to say "No" when put on the spot and feel obliged to look after the inexperienced buddy they have been placed with.

Not carrying a professional cert can avoid the situation to some degree but it does not mean these are unhelpful, miserable sods.  They are usually also paying customers who want to actually enjoy their diving and meet some personal asperations that they do not normally get when working with students and the like.

Daz
Daz, really! The same spelling error THREE TIMES in one post!!! It's aspIrations.  

What's happened to British education since I left the country 36 years ago?
Truly sorry,  at least I am consistent  

I must spell aspirations correctly.

Daz

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.