YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

does anyone know where I can find the price list for padi membership fees. Or had anyone recently become a dm and can tell me how much it is

Cheers,
         Tom

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>£53.46 for a first application. You can download the PIL pricelist and catalogue from the PADI website, members area.  

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Yep - then it doesn't end there mate ! - put another dollar in !

Paul  

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Paul... why ARE you a PADI instructor?

The teaching materials are second to none and worth every penny IMO. The PIC card costs $13. Everything else is being pocketed by the dive shop. Not PADI. Paying PADI once a year, what I would normaly spend on a weekend drinking session is not a big deal IMO. It enables me to see people's faces light up when I take them in the water and that is worth it. PADI is a business, it makes profit. Get over it. I could list far worse companies. Not sure why everyone expects PADI to be some kind of charity. If you wanted to save all your pennies why didn't you spend several months in a swimming pool with BSAC Paul? Only then you would not be able to make any money teaching. The reason why YOU can earn a living teaching diving is because PADI gives you that ability.

Am not a huge PADI fan and think they could do better with many ways, but I really don't see why so many people have a huge chip on their shoulder because PADI makes money.

Lisa

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hey P.Ennis
Sorry if that sounded like I threw a hissy fit (even it was at somone I know quite well!
) ... I really don't like the "put another dollar in phrase"... it just gets my back up.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Like Phil and Paul, I am a PADI (assistant) instructor and some of the things they do really rile me. Other agencies are cheaper and more supportive (SSI, NAUI). True, PADI's training kit is superb but why make us pay for all the sundries? We need videos etc to sell the courses and ultimately make more money for PADI yet these are still costly items to us (while being relatively cheap for PADI to mass produce) - why not throw these in as free marketing aids? My PADI subs run out in Feb 2004 and I doubt I'll be renewing them (will probably do a SDI crossover and also get my NAUI next summer). You are right in saying that the majority of the course fees go to the dive instructors but the annual fees for professionals are all paid to PADI and they are, in my opinion, quite expensive (I am not a 'dive professional' but instruct on a part time basis)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Just for the record I am am not a big fan of PADI ( although from this post you would think it) and I don't make ANY profit from teaching scuba diving. I am probably one of PADI’s least loved members because I only order from them the minimal amount of stuff I need to teach their courses. I charge my students for the manual and any other "required" materials and the rest is all recycled or reused (like videos etc). The new OW DVD costs less than $25 and is full of goodies that the video doesn’t offer. You can use that again and again! In fact they GAVE it to me for free because I renewed early last year. So now, don’t go saying they don’t give you anything.

To be honest I am probably a PADI Instructor and a PADI diver because I happened to be wanting to take dive courses in places where PADI was the only certification  available/ the only IDC on offer where I was. I thought long and hard about being a "PADI" instructor. I didn't want to end up teaching through an organisation I wasn't happy with. I'd heard all the stories and opinions. I talked to many instructors about it before I paid my IDC fees and my IE fees. I do feel very money conscious when it comes to PADI esp. after the amount I spent to get my qualifications (since OW day one) and I try not to give PADI any money whenever I can. But I am a PADI instructor not only because they were the easiest option for me at the time and place but because I do support the way they work and I will stand by their standards and course layouts (I wouldn’t teach them if I didn’t think them worthy!) and I don’t see the yearly membership as a bind or the amount I pay them for materials, which my students pay for anyway. The undersea journal is an interesting read when I am on the bog and there is nothing else to wipe with : D and skin diver mag was also a nice freebie (though they stopped making it).

I think that PADI are like Starbucks in a way but apart from cornering the market and almost forcing "the way the world learns to dive" they don't buy their paper for their books from slaves (like Starbucks buys it's coco from a company which uses slaves in Africa)... anyway, getting off the subject. And IMO they also don't charge ridiculous prices for what they have to offer (also like Starbucks charges for shi**y coffee… do you know how much that stuff costs them to make!! It’s shocking!!). IMO they do offer better and more extensive member services than NAUI or SSI... but that is only the impression I have from talking to other instructors who bat for one or more teams.

Most recreational divers want to learn the PADI way because they know their C-card will be the most widely accepted the world over and that advantage comes at a small cost. I could fly off to Egypt tmrw and get a job if I wanted to. SSI and NAUI Instructors might find it a little harder (as I have observed).

I refuse to put my dollar in whenever I can but when I do. I think it’s worth it. I also know that if I really wanted to make my money back I could and probably a hell of a lot more because if you want it to, being a PADI instructor is probably the most lucrative option for an instructor. You’ve just got to watch out for those thieving dive centers.

I am trying to say that PADI does have market control like Starbucks and that is not such a good thing really. If people feel like they don’t have other options that kind of sucks. But, unlike Starbucks, PADI are actually a pretty good option to be stuck with.

You still have choices and if you would prefer to steer clear of PADI that is fine. That’s your choice. My point (harsh as it may seem) was originally to Paul, and others who are PADI instructors and think/ say the same thing who are able to travel to places like Bermuda and earn a living because of PADI. I just find it hard to swallow (ooh err!) someone saying something so against the company that actually provides them, a very important and valuable service.

Sorry for length of post – not sure why I couldn’t say it in less words! Know what you would say Paul

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>One reason to dislike PADI -

They have contributed 100s of thousands of dollars to the Republican Party over the last 5 years.

Some of which was my cert fees.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Love or hate PADI, the fact is that if it was`nt for them, Scuba diving in the UK would still be administered by middle aged balding men with beards, who dive in nothing but black gear. To enter the esteemed ranks, you`d have to tread water for three hours with an anvil tied to your back and swim across the Irish Sea and back in one go, dressed in only a pair of Speedo`s. Women would of course still be discouraged from becoming divers.

What ever you think about PADI, it has certainly opened up diving  as a sport most people can partake in

Steve
(BSAC member)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Gavin,

That sucks if true. Do you have a link for that fact?

I was truly unaware that they were supportive of the Bush administration.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>PADI however does donate money to marine conservation research (one my friends studying at Columbia University in NY just recieved some for his coral research.
)  so at least all of your cert money isn't going towards the weapons of mass delusion fund.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Well done Lisa, I think your post did more harm to the PADI image than the simple tongue in cheek comment by Paul. By the way I also know Paul and Tara very well, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Blimey Lisa - calm down girl - it's only a comment!!

In reality, I love being a PADI instructor for many reasons (most of which you have covered ) and yes, it does give me the opportunity to work abroad which not many other jobs do. You know as well as I do that you can put as many acronyms to the PADI name (Paperwok Around Diving is Immense is another and so what - the very fact that I have paid them a lot of money over the last few years gives me the right to use tongue in cheek comments.

I do not have a problem with the training materials - which are class leading  and have happiliy bought both versions of instructor manuals, speciality outlines, EFR books and x-over fees etc etc the list goes on. Im simply referring to the fact that it is, pretty much, a pyramid selling scheme and even with the jokes, ones I'm happy to participate in.

If you had, like I have just done, paid PADI between £25/30 ish for 13 teaching specialities, then another £? whatever for a MSDT rating on top of the annual renewal fee you might feel the same. There are plenty of instructors who we both know who will not do that but the way the industry works is that cards/specialities count in this game so the more the better for marketablity and if that gives me an edge then so be it. I will no doubt go for Staff instructor over the next 12 months or so with CD being the ultimate aim - then I start making back some of the money I put in - just like a pyramid scheme.

Paul  

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you`d have to tread water for three hours with an anvil tied to your back and swim across the Irish Sea and back in one go, dressed in only a pair of Speedo`s
My attitude to most things is; don't knock it 'til you've tried it.  P'raps not this time.

Are you a BSAC diver by any chance?  

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ Sep. 28 2003,09:46)]One reason to dislike PADI -

They have contributed 100s of thousands of dollars to the Republican Party over the last 5 years.
Gav, tell me you're joking? Or at least unable to offer any proof? Bloody hell, I love my diving, it's all PADI, and I don't want any of my cash going to those idiots  Grrrrrrrrrr

Just about to contribute my first PADI membership fees too. If I can ever master the dreaded tread with no hands bit!

Dave.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've got proof that PADI Worldwide have made contributions but anecdotally there have been other large contributions.

I have been researching this as I think it's odd that a party opposed to any form of leglislation to control global warming and therefore coral bleaching is being supported by a dive organisation.

I'm a PADI/TDI diver too.

For info - as you can imagine there is little on the web advertising PADI's contribution but this link explains a little of the background.
link

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Paul - Well now you explain it like that I'll let you off.

It seemed at first you were complaining. That comment is heard all too much with a less tounge in cheek vibe so I guess that's how I took it.

Chill pill taken

Directed at other PADI members who mean it more as a complaint.

I am just sick of people trying to place blame on something when the fault that they don't have money left is because they chose to spend it on PADI, or beer or whatever. PADI didn't come along in the middle of the night and raid your piggy bank uninvited. Why not blame the man at the bar for making you poor too?

Ha ha - Paul - But then again, if you drink in Flanagans with me, the bar tender just hands me money and gives us free drinks! ;)

Good luck Paul . Most divers I know who have climbed right to the top of the PADI pyramid, wish they'd taken a bussiness course instead and set up their own dive shop, cos they don't make much more money as a PADI slave. But if you know different, seriously...good luck! I wonder how many of those specialities you will actually end up teaching?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Imported post

Gavin

Nice link but doesn't say anything about PADI passing on c-card money
Got anything else?

What would PADI gain by getting politicians in its pocket?
(apart from very large trousers
)

My own view is that the whole party 'donation'/lobbying thing is very anti-democratic but enough of that.....

Lizardfish, leave JJ alone eh?  Personal freedoms/dreams etc...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts