YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

Just back from Cuba and am now upto 50 dives.

Feel like it's time to do some more training and rescue diver is the next step for me.

We are planning to get to egypt in October , and I am wondering if I can do all the class room / pool stuff here, and the open water dives with a firm in Egypt?

If so what sort of money am I looking at here and in Egypt?

Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wanted to do this a few years ago...means you aren't wasting your holiday sat in a class room! In the end it was far more expensive to split the course into two and I thought I would probably lose something with the lack of continuity and the slightly different ways of teaching a skill etc.

If I were you I would just read the Rescue Diver book, watch the DVD and do all the knowledge reviews before you go out. Then it would be just some brief theory tailored to your knowledge reviews and exam results. If you choose somewhere like Dahab, the 'pool sessions' are actually in a confined water enviroment in the sea, so it is much nicer than going in a pool anyway.

It might be worth doing a First Aid course in England though. You will need a certificate for the Rescue Diver course.

If you do choose Dahab, I would recommend Penguin Divers. Ahmed is definitely one of the better instructors I have met out there and I know he is still there at the moment.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I agree... why split it (you can do it as a referral by all means) - I really honestly think you will get more out of it here, with the same instructor and in poor viz - not the same searching for a missing diver where you can see 25 metres and clearly he is just up there...

B x

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
One thing to consider is that once the initial pool based scenarios are completed, the final open water scenarios are not really dives as such.

By splitting the course I feel you would lose the cameraderie that is built up in a rescue course, but more importantly when you are abroad, you may miss quality dives for a day or so.

I'd be inclined to do it all in the UK and save the holiday for either relaxing dives, or the odd speciality course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.