YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can ask my CD tomorrow, but if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
I'm having trouble with the wheel.
The dots line up in the circle, albeit one is a bit close, and I have a Meters version.

In the book on page 39, the is an example of a dive to 18M for 40 mins.
It says that your should surface with a pressure group of 'Q', but mine definately cuts the 'P' arrowhead.

Can anyone see if theirs is the same.

Cheers
Turb (looking for his RDP and e-RDP now ;) )

EDIT: Checked the RDP and e-RDP and they give a code of 'P' too.

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Mine's 'P' too, even for 41min (just!)

Reactions: turbanator

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Not all wheels are unique.

Even wheels that calibrate properly can give different answers, sometimes out by 1 pressure group, sometimes by more.

On my IDC group (6 people so 6 wheels) we had often 4 different answers. We found ONE wheel that gave exactly the answers on the tests, the others could be out.

They seem to cater to this on the IE itself by the answers being banded. Things like "R or S / P or Q" and so on which i assume eliminates most issues.
Course director also said if you get one wrong you're convinced is right you can ask to demonstrate it or give the examiner your wheel so he can check it and if it is the wheel at fault allow a correct mark.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I don't think it is the rev... mine is 6/93 :eek: and it is the same.
My wheel also says P.

I heard the same as String... that if you need the point in the IE and you can demonstrate to the examiner how you got the answer you did and it is a fualt of the wheel, you will get the point. I don't remember the options on the IE being a range, though, but i think the options were such that you would get a different answer depending on where you made a mistake, not in reading the lines, but in the operation of the wheel, such as using an NDL instead of the ML, or using the wrong depth in a multilevel question.

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
The dots line up in the circle, albeit one is a bit close, and I have a Meters version.

It says that your should surface with a pressure group of 'Q', but mine definately cuts the 'P' arrowhead.

Cheers

Yeah, same - dots line up perfect but clearly 'P' on the metric though on my old Imperial for 60' it comes out a 'Q' (just) which they state it should be on page 39 of the imperial book.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its true as been said, if there is a different answer on your test to what you got it to be, the examiner will do the same question with you to see if you did the whole procedure right of how to use the wheel, if there is a difference on a pressure group up or down makes no difference as long as you have calculated and used the wheel correct u will have a pass on the question! There is a difference inbetween wheel especially when being used for a while, not big difference but it still big enough to give you the wrong answer!

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
Yikes!!!!

I can't help myself.

The PADI Wheel fer gawds sake?

Shouldn't it have been consigned to the deep years ago? Whilst I know that I'm preaching to the true believers this thing always was, will remain so, the most convoluted piece of rubbish perhaps invented for the SCUBA market, which us a big call indeed.

I mean, you can't properly calculate, as freely admitted here, the whotsit on land when the thing is supposed to be designed for in-water use? Gitahtavit!

I'll go back to sulking now.

Cheers,

Christian

Reactions: turbanator

·
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys and Girls ;)

I can't help myself.

The PADI Wheel fer gawds sake?
I have my IE soon and we may be asked to demonstrate proficiency in that, the e-RDP or the RDP to a level where we can adequatly teach people how to use it.

r
Paul

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Personally, i prefer the wheel to the table RDP. :)

It is much simpler and you don't need to work out your RAT.

It's actually quite easy to work out limits and things.

Mind you, i think that it will only be part of the PADI system unti such time as the warehouse full of them is emptied :p

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Certainly it isnt specific revisions with errors, or at least wasnt on my IDC.

We had wheels ranging from 6 years to the current year and the accuracy wasn't related to that. In fact the one wheel we did find that turned out the same answers as the tests was an older one but thats purely a coincidence.
On my IE some wheel questions did have a range of answers as above and that was November last year.

I wouldn't worry too much about it provided you can use the damn thing then you can pass the exam regardless of the variation in wheels.

Its not as if you've ever going to use it again is it :)

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
I mean, you can't properly calculate, as freely admitted here, the whotsit on land when the thing is supposed to be designed for in-water use? Gitahtavit!
Er, noooo... not for in-water use at all and if its good enough for Sharon Stone in "Sphere" then its good enough fer me:embarassed: But then I like coloured plastic, spinny-slidey gizmo's even if I don't use em I'll still buy 'em.

·
Registered
14 Posts
as said learn to use it and how to explain how it works, u will never use it after ur IE! unless u get an annoying student that just want to learn and doesnt accept the modern world of diving computers!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Stop pissing about and get a VR3

Only kidding :D

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
as said learn to use it and how to explain how it works, u will never use it after ur IE! unless u get an annoying student that just want to learn and doesnt accept the modern world of diving computers!
Or a customer who dives on holiday a couple of times a year and decides that quantity of diving doesn't warrant spending £200 on a computer.

·
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Stop pissing about and get a VR3

ATB

Mark Chase
I had one and flogged it - I have the Shearwater GF now.
I hear that you have a KISS now (I guess I'm allowed to hijack my own thread :teeth: ) how are you getting on with it?

r
Paul

Edit: ah, just found your thread on RBW.

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts

Cheers

I've been going through the same thing with my two DMT's today - one was using my wheel one was using her own. Both wheels came out with different pressure groups and there was one PG difference. As long as you can demonstrate proficiency if they are one group out it is known that there are variencies - if you really were diving with the wheel - dive to the most conservative! Just like a pooter! ;) BTW - I have a day off tomorrow and have had a beer or three, I may BTB :D

Reactions: A. Berk

·
Registered
14 Posts
if u only dive a couple of times a year its done for you with the dive centre u r diving with as long as the dive is planned by the centre and they are leading it, if they dont provide this service go somewhere else!

·
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if u only dive a couple of times a year its done for you with the dive centre u r diving with as long as the dive is planned by the centre and they are leading it, if they dont provide this service go somewhere else!
I agree with you having dived in the real world for the past 17 years or so, but the one of the purpose of the IE is to ensure that I know how to do this for people or to teach them to do it themselves ;)

The only time that I use BS-AC tables is for BS-AC exams or when I am teaching.

However, when mix diving, I will always check with tables - look-up or otherwise and these are my bail-out option, so being familiar with tables is important even when, as Mark suggests, you dob out 5 or 600 quid on a pooter.

Sue - Have a good day off!

r
Paul

1 - 20 of 54 Posts