YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
24,810 Posts
I don't think it is the rev... mine is 6/93 :eek: and it is the same.
My wheel also says P.

I heard the same as String... that if you need the point in the IE and you can demonstrate to the examiner how you got the answer you did and it is a fualt of the wheel, you will get the point. I don't remember the options on the IE being a range, though, but i think the options were such that you would get a different answer depending on where you made a mistake, not in reading the lines, but in the operation of the wheel, such as using an NDL instead of the ML, or using the wrong depth in a multilevel question.

· Registered
24,810 Posts
Personally, i prefer the wheel to the table RDP. :)

It is much simpler and you don't need to work out your RAT.

It's actually quite easy to work out limits and things.

Mind you, i think that it will only be part of the PADI system unti such time as the warehouse full of them is emptied :p

· Registered
24,810 Posts
as said learn to use it and how to explain how it works, u will never use it after ur IE! unless u get an annoying student that just want to learn and doesnt accept the modern world of diving computers!
Or a customer who dives on holiday a couple of times a year and decides that quantity of diving doesn't warrant spending £200 on a computer.

· Registered
24,810 Posts
Granted that the people who've asked on here are only doing it so that they can tick the box in the exam....but...

Aren't we missing the point a little bit?

Presumably this piece of kit is intended to allow people to plan NDL diving? Well how can it do that in the real world if there's so much variation in the answers it gives, presumably due to simple "mechanical inaccuracies" in production, or printing problems, or whatever.

How come no one seems to be concerned that there would appear to be an elevated risk of getting bent if you get one of the (60%?) that are duff and follow it's data output?

I can't believe no one has got in a strop about it. What the hell are PADI thinking of, promoting something that has such poor production quality as this? You'd at least expect to get reliably reproducible results for the same data input surely?

It might be easier to use than the tables but that's NBG if it doesn't actually work.
It does work, I think that's the point. NDL is not an exact science. The guidelines on it any way are that you don't chase the NDL, but dive well within limit.

The wheels have calibrations which, I would assume, will give a margin for variance, but not significant enough to make it not work.

In Turbies question, the variation is one pressure group.

I doubt very much that anyone diving would end up with a bend for the sake of one pressure group error, any more than they would end up bent if they mis timed a dive by a minute, which can also make a one pressure group difference.

· Registered
24,810 Posts
Hmm... big mystery, the wheel! When should I have been taught it? I've seen it around various training centres, but I've never been shown how to work it. Should I have done it on my AOW?

Pete
There is a CD in an LDS not far from where you are.
Go in and ask him to show you how it works, just don't tell him i sent you :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.