YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just received this email from ccc :HTML email

It clearly states that they are 12th in the Uk with regards to the number of certs.

So where are they getting that info from?

Is there a list or a top 10 sort of thing anywhere? Both world wide and UK?

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
PADI international, In Bristol, isue all the certs in the UK. Each cert is logged against the centre number. PADI has some sort of league table with regard to the number of certs. It may include certs such as 'Discover Scuba' which, in the right sort of environment will bump a dive centre near the top.

AFIUI, each of the regional PADI centres (Americas, International, Europe etc) have their own tables. They may even communicate with each other to reveal a worldwide top 10 :)

I *think* it is easy enough to get the info from PADI - at least, it ought to be easy for the centres.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
LOL think we were 11 but will check tomorow

·
Sews all his PADI patches on to his banana hammock
586 Posts
PADI have this info and inform the dive centres how they're doing, it states in CCC's website that the info came from their regional manager Richard Howes.

It's not published anywhere but it's marketing info available to the Dive Centres to know how they're doing locally and nationally. If you work for a Dive Centre speak to either Richard Howes or Graham Owen, they will be able to tell you where you rank and how you're doing.

·
Cake Monitor
1,139 Posts
Interesting, though seeing the thread title, I would not consider "No 1," whichever that is, to necessarily be the best PADI dive centre, purely on the number of people it gets through the courses every year.

The centre I learned with guarantees small class sizes, which would necessarily put it way down the rankings.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah big bucks, but who is no.1?

(As in what is the potential market share if you've really got it together? and from a pure business perspective who is PADI's busiest UK centre).

I would have to assume Stoney or one of the London dive schools?

·
Registered
793 Posts
In the uk ive no idea, but worldwide im pretty sure its Bans.

Would be quite interesting to see number of people who trained at an inland site versus the sea in the uk.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
In the uk ive no idea, but worldwide im pretty sure its Bans.

Would be quite interesting to see number of people who trained at an inland site versus the sea in the uk.
I expect it would be more. One of the reasons we primarily train inland is because we happen to be an hour and a half from the nearest coast, which is weather dependant. The chances of losing a days training at an inland site due to the weather is pretty low. To change the location of a course from the blown out sea to an inland site is not easy.

Who/where is 'Bans'?

·
586 Posts
That's right; the PADI chart is purely based on student certification throughput, number one being the dive centre who certifies the most students. I know who the top centre was in 2007/8 not sure who it is now but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same. They're quite a large centre with an on-site pool. The centre I worked for at the time was 10th that year.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Interesting, though seeing the thread title, I would not consider "No 1," whichever that is, to necessarily be the best PADI dive centre, purely on the number of people it gets through the courses every year.

The centre I learned with guarantees small class sizes, which would necessarily put it way down the rankings.
That's the quantity over quality argument - which is a good point. Just because they train the most people doesn't necessarily mean the quality of their training (and thoroughness of their training) is as good as the number 10 or lower.

In the words of Mark Twain (who attributed it to Disraeli) - 'there's lies, damned lies and statistics.'

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
That's right; the PADI chart is purely based on student certification throughput, number one being the dive centre who certifies the most students. I know who the top centre was in 2007/8 not sure who it is now but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same. They're quite a large centre with an on-site pool. The centre I worked for at the time was 10th that year.
are you going to let us in on the secret?

·
Making God laugh...
3,112 Posts
But not really relevant to being No 1 is it?

just because a centre does lots of students does not make it the best, if we were to use that analogy then Ford make the best cars in the world.... Repta hit the nail on the head.

·
586 Posts
Morag - It was Andark in 2007/8. Tilesey was correct. The PADI stats have nothing to do with overall quality but they do the random mail outs to students for quality control. It would be interesting to find out the answer to the Sea v's Inland dive site qualification but unless there was a box on the PIC card for it I guess we'll never know.

In 2007/8 the centre worldwide for the most certs I think was Pro Dive in Thailand.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Morag - It was Andark in 2007/8. Tilesey was correct. The PADI stats have nothing to do with overall quality but they do the random mail outs to students for quality control. It would be interesting to find out the answer to the Sea v's Inland dive site qualification but unless there was a box on the PIC card for it I guess we'll never know.

In 2007/8 the centre worldwide for the most certs I think was Pro Dive in Thailand.
Having had to wait behind them in the queue for a bacon sarnie at Horsea, I can well beleive that!

·
586 Posts
Having had to wait behind them in the queue for a bacon sarnie at Horsea, I can well beleive that!
Horsea Island... now that brings back some memories! The Navy have stopped people diving at the SETT as well now, I heard no civilian contracts were awarded this year at all.

·
team wibble
400 Posts
i think its andark again. I think they get the navy contract for resettlement courses to do civilian diving. I know we are 3rd
cheers john

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Unlike some others, I do think that sheer number of students is a relatively good indicator of a decent dive school.

When you run 50 DSDs a day in a resort, you get really really bloody good at running DSD courses. Really good. You have to be, otherwise the whole thing grinds to a halt. You have to inspire confidence in the students, otherwise you get a lot of nervous people who slow you down, you have to have a team of people who know exactly what they are doing, or you have problems.

The same is true of Open Water courses. Much as it is lovely for us to talk about quality tuition, if an instructor can get a group of 6 students to the required standard in the alloted time that takes a certain amount of skill. Much as we'd all love to have one to one tuition, in most resorts that doesn't happen.

My experience of training with dive centres is that the ones who cert 20 students a month are the ones which have the most quality control problems. They are usually smaller outfits, and struggle to cover the overheads involved in running a dive centre. Their equipment is usually older and not maintained to the same standard, often using secondhand gear from the centres who are getting through hundreds of students in a month and can afford to buy new gear every 6 months as it is getting so much use. The economics of having well maintained gear are simple - equipment failures slow you down a lot, and concern students that might already be a little nervous about their first experiences underwater.

Big dive centres who issue hundreds of certs are also on the radar of PADI, and my experience of the larger centres was that PADI standards are god above all else, as failing an audit has the potential to hit the income of the dive centre massively if they are downgraded or lose their status in the PADI system. For example losing their ability to run intructor courses could hit profitability pretty hard, as would having public reprimand from PADI if rules were broken. For many of the small centres the impact would be almost nothing, they'd carry on as they were before, most of their business coming from word of mouth and/or local marketing.

Digs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts