YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

What type of paint is suitable for a tatty looking old cylinder (in test I hasten to add!). smooth white Hammerite was my first thought but I'm concerned because it is toxic to aquatic life (long term I guess but its still a concern). Is regular household gloss any good? I guess it would chip & peel very easily. I'm trying to avoid regular car spray paint. All suggestions welcome
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

Good question, after having got two new tanks myself, I am wanting to personalise them and thought a nice logo in paint would be best - but what type?

I thought spray enamel - any of you guys know better?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Be careful guys, I believe that the new European Legislations that are coming into force mean that all 'Breathing Air' cylinders will be marked with a sticker saying so, also another 'Compressed Air' sticker and it will have to be painted with the black and white triangles around the top of the tank.

I'm not sure how this will effect personalised paint jobs

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Dave, perhaps we should find out about the regulations and enter into a quick commercial enterprise - I am sure that many people will want them!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Purple and silver Hammerite?

As long as you leave any paint of such ilk long enough to cure or I'd forsee an indented ring in the new shiney from the cam band compressing non-cured paint (painful past experience after painting a motorbike.....)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Used smooth white Hammerite in the end, looks fairly tidy, was ok in the pool last night.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

What might be nice as a paint job is some of that highly-reflective stuff they use on road signs. Increase your visibility nicely, that would

"Argh, I shone my torch at my buddy and now I'm blind!!"

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Y'know Dominic I've been thinking about that(dangerous I know but it's a slow process so I'm OK)and I reckon it could become a real DIR no-no.Consider,a major fact against helmets and mounted lights for eg.is this buisness of blinding your mate when he looks at you (if your mates are thick enough to look at your light I reckon they should look after the keys and gaze at the sun)and there may be a point in that somewhere.So if we paint our cylinders/bottles/tanks a nice reflective hue that does as you say this could well follow.I can see the rantings on Techdiver now...."If you can show me that Chevy Yellow isn't dangerous in HID light I'll show my arse in Macy's window!"

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I did wonder about the reflection causing dazzle problems.

But I figure that if car headlights reflected by the reflective paint on roadsigns doesn't cause any dazzle problems, diver torches are unlikely to cause much trouble when reflected off reflective dive cylinders.

Especially when you consider the way the light'd get dimmed by all the silt as well

I came back from two weeks holiday yesterday, and looked at the archive of techdiver mails waiting for me. Decided I couldn't face it, and just wiped the lot

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Sounds like a grand idea to me and if your buddy is so stupid he/she can't shine their torch somewhere else, do you really want to be diving with them?

Any idea where to get that stuff and what its called?
Cheers
Steve

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Can't really blame you for that Dominic,I think it can be as nuclear as a KKK meeting sometimes on there,with,possibly the same broadmindedness?Anyway this paint job,what about applting the layers of paint,then,while wet apply thinly some glitter to give a nice sparkly effect in light.Metalflake anyone?If it's good enough for my helmet it's good enough for my twinset and I always liked those 70's custom sprayjobs!You should be able to buy reflective paint at your local car shop Steve.Cheers Hobby.

(Edited by Hobby at 11:35 am on Oct. 3, 2002)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

I was reading about the new cylinder regulations today, apparently we have to buy a special sticker to go on the tank (plus another indicating date of next test) indicating that is it breathing air. apparently the stickers are pretty large (I believe about 6" tall by about 12" long)
doesn't leave much room for custom paint jobs !

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Hobby,

Clear acrylic paint and tip a shed load of glitter into it - that'll do the trick for you!

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

These new stickers. You dont have to worry about them for quite a bit do you?
?

Are the EU thought Police going to be waiting for us at 30m with a fine!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

The new stickers are only necessary on new cylinders or cylinder which go in for test now that the new rules are in force.
If you currently own cylinders that are still in test, you do NOT need to buy a sticker. Anyone who tells you you DO is lying or misinformed.
I'm considering getting some magnetic sheeting to put the stickers on, so I can remove them after I've gotten them filled, and still have a nice paint job

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

See http://www.divernet.com/news/index.html a little way down the page for a simple explanation of the issue:

"The new black and white stickers are compulsory on all cylinders tested after 1 September. If a cylinder was in test before that date, it is perfectly legal to have it filled without the cylinder having a new sticker."

So check your test date, and if it was anytime before September, you do NOT need any sticker.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

If your tank is new then it should have black and white quarters round the top. (Ben yours does) this indicates that it contains breathing air and there is no need for a sticker.

If you were to use that tank for nitrox then it would need a nitrox sticker.

If your tank has no black and white quarters on the top then it should be marked breathing air.

Personally I think the whole thing's a load of arse.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Does it have black and white quaters!!!!!!
Never Noticed!!!!!
My what good eyes you have Mr Fox!

Ben "Head in a bucket" Harris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts