YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Pangs for

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Rick Huggins 
#1 ·
Imported post

I want add more memory to my Oly 5050 and cant decide on which type to go for.

I have the original 32Mb XD that came with the cam (Pointless), a spare 64Mb SD from a previous digi, but what now?
Should I go XD, SM, CF or MD?
Hopefully I can utilise my 64 SD, which means an option of either CF or MD!

Answers on a postcard to:-

Thanks again bouys n gals

See less See more
#2 ·
Imported post

After some research, I think the best solution is to keep the supplied Olympus 32Mb XD card for panoramic photos topside and add a compact flash card to the rig for UW use.

The one that I have chosen is the Sandisk Ultra2 256Mb which reads as the fastest card in the world, with good warranty, read/write times, reliability and cost (£47 from Ebay).

I have also sourced some Uniross 2300mAh AA's at £8.99 for 4 from here! which I beleive is the cheapest anywhere.

Hope this helps someone

Cheers

#4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I bought a 256Mb CF card last week from Crucial  for 38.76 GBP inc of vat and delivery
The Crucial CF you refer to is type 1 I beleive, with a read/write speed of 1400kb/s and not the latest type 2 with 3000kb/s.

The next best price for the Ultra2 was £62 from a reputable dealer, so I think £48 inc vat & postage was a steal.

Am I missing something?

#5 ·
Imported post

I wasn't aware there were two types of CF with the newer being twice as fast as the other, but for the sake of having to wait one second extra to read/write 1600kb (is that kilobyte or kilobit?) I can't see me bothering to pay the extra.  I guess one second of your time is worth more than one second of mine  

#6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]having to wait one second extra
Is long enough to miss that perfect shot!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] guess one second of your time is worth more than one second of mine
Clearly not, LMAO

Well happy hunting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.