YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Paralympics protests at Atos.

855 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  taz 
#1 ·
Paralympic Games

well apprently there are demonstrations planned outside the London Hq of Atos the IT company thats partnered to run the Paralympics IT and involved with the cutting of benefits to disability claiments.

I kind raised an eye brow cos it made me laugh, surely the whole point of the Parlympics is to show how good the athletes are despite any disability and frankly all of them are better than 99% of the public in their acheivements.

So i'm not really sure how these protestors quite comes across, surely demonstarting during the paralympics about disability benefits is the wrong time?

saw a great tweet from Simon Pegg this morning along the lines of "watching the paralympics, you realise what an utterly stupid term 'disabled' is"

#2 ·
It's a bit like the old good AIDS/bad AIDs sketch.

Look at Sarah Storey, one hand and can manage to break a cycling record when all these lazy workshy cripples are cluttering up the benefit system. That they are better than 99% of the public means they are also better than 99% of the disabled public.

On the other hand, someone in a permanently vegetative state could perform better than Atos.

#10 ·
#11 ·
They're not the only ones carrying the story, many hits just in google Disabled protesters injured by police at DWP protest | Demotix.com
with pictures even. Given the back story of Atos which any eye reader will be overly familiar with and the Met's (justified) reputation for violence against the public, looks heavy handed to me but we well know the chance of a Met officer ever being convicted is so slim they act with virtual impunity.

#12 ·
or perchance finding out the disabled gentlemen has brittle bone or some such disability.

I thought the protest proper was at Atos on Marylebone Road and this was a break away demonstration at DWP. Was this demo discussed with the police or where they reacting to a group of people entering a government building.

#13 ·
Qhy should a protest be discussed with the police? Have we not got a right to peaceful assembly and the right to protest at the actions of the government any more? That is across the board, not just on this issue.

I ask this because frankly i havnt seen a single protest which the government has actually not hampered or smashed.

As to the ATOS protests, do you see the way that people who have been found fit for work under the most spurious reasons have subsequently died from the illnesses they were told went an issue as part of the tories systematic attack on the sick, the disabled and the poor. and then ATOS sponsor the para Olympics which is (rightly) showing what some disabled people can do with support. these 2 things just don't tie together neatly.

are ATOS sat there with the files open for the British team going well done for gold but we have to find you fit for work and strip the DLA from you because you can mobilise in a wheelchair more than 200 meters?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.