YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a very easy going person, I don't rant very often, but this is getting to me.

I live in a mid terraced house, I have a lodger who parks up the road outside no1/2, they park at the side of their houses. Number 3 parks outside theirs. I'm, at number 4. no5 & 6 both have 2 cars. Since the house over the road started parking in a space at the 5/6 end of the terrace they have shunted their parking along. As I am the only one in full time employment I am the one who's space outside my house is used by my neighbours. I had to park 100m away from my house the other day.

So no6 has a problem and cures it with parking outside no5, no5 now has a problem and cures it with parking outside of mine. No3 are retired and always in, so I couldn't pass on the problem, so I get lumbered with it. If I'm luck I can just get in near 1 or 2, but rarely.

Whilst the walk does you good, carrying dive equipment 100m isn't so funny.

In the last month I think I have managed 2 days outside my house.

I know legally I can do nothing, so what can I do to get my own back. I did think of buying 6 old bangers and parking them up all along the terrace when there were spaces. Or get all my bikes mot'd and put them on the road with big gaps, not too big to park a car, but enough to move the middle bike and park my car. The middle bike would be the loudest of course.

I haven't fallen out with my neighbours yet, but I see it coming.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
So, you run marathons, yet complain about a 100m walk to your car :D

Why do you need to park in front of your house anyway?

Adrian

PS, buy a house with a drive :D

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Tell the lodger to move his car 100m up the road and swipe his spot. If he refuses start charging parking fees. Alternatively, double park when you want to move your dive kit in and out, make sure you block in whoever has swiped your spot. Accidentally wipe their car with your twinset occasionally then just apologise, dont offer any recompense. :)

HTH
Matt

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Tell the lodger to move his car 100m up the road and swipe his spot. If he refuses start charging parking fees. Alternatively, double park when you want to move your dive kit in and out, make sure you block in whoever has swiped your spot.
...and make lots of noise when putting your gear in the car at 6am on a sunday :)

·
Wreck Ferret 1
1,021 Posts
Are you sure you dont live down my road!

We have the same problem a guy brought two houses and turned them into multiple flats (shared living accomm) and the people renting work on the roads therefore they have a car and a transit van EACH no no one can park in the road.

What i do is pull up in the middle of the road and put on the hazards then people can wait until ive unloaded of loaded.

I have no idea what can be done as to the share flats but one houses planning permission to turn it into flats was turned down based on the fact
that parking was an issue.

Ron

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Well, now the summer is here, you could pour a little milk down the air vents between the bottom part of the windscreen and the bonnet of their cars. It will take a day or two to take effect, but when the milk goes off it will stink to high heaven inside the car. failing that, stuff an old kipper in the engine bay!

The cars will then be down the garage for ages trying to find the source of the smell, and hey presto, you have a few parking spaces to choose from!

yes it's probably illegal, but then so are a lot of things!

Steve

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
We put up with a similar situation for years before the neighbours changed and their replacements liked loud music at all hours. So we moved and now have off road parking for three or possibly four cars.

Count your blessings that your neighbours don't disturb you with loud music too. Or move.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Sorry, but don't see the problem unless I have misunderstood.

Assuming parking spaces are not allocated and that you are talking about parking on the public highways, then anyone that has a taxed and insured vehicle has the right to park there.

You have no more rights to park outside your house than I do.

If it is a problem, then as was said earlier, get a house with a driveway.

Juz

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
This is an all too common problem. Sadly just because you live there doesn't mean jack. Anyone can park anywhere - that's the point of public parking.

The only real solution I'm afraid is the one given by Adrian - buy a house with a drive.

Chris

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
we had this problem with Clancy dogfart who are renting 3 houses along our street, this means 9 vans plus the blokes cars at some points. we just had to live with it.

the shock was when the council wanted to put a CPZ in because of the 'parking problems' they got very short shrift and the idea got dropped.

just live with it.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Do you own the road outside your house? No? Tough. I can come and park a low loader outside it if I like for 6 months and there is bog all you can do about it.

Luckily on our road there is only one bloke who has a sad on about parking outside his house so we leave him to it.

However if the purchase all goes to plan of my new house then I do actually own the road outside my house so can tell you to p1ss off. Marvellous.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Do you own the road outside your house? No? Tough. I can come and park a low loader outside it if I like for 6 months and there is bog all you can do about it.

Luckily on our road there is only one bloke who has a sad on about parking outside his house so we leave him to it.

However if the purchase all goes to plan of my new house then I do actually own the road outside my house so can tell you to p1ss off. Marvellous.
well yes there is , petrol bomb through the window and then call the council about the abandoned burnt out vehicle. :teeth: not that i would ever think about doing that.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, but don't see the problem unless I have misunderstood.

Assuming parking spaces are not allocated and that you are talking about parking on the public highways, then anyone that has a taxed and insured vehicle has the right to park there.

You have no more rights to park outside your house than I do.

If it is a problem, then as was said earlier, get a house with a driveway.

Juz
It's only a problem to me as I work, I haven't had the problem for the 18 years I have lived there, it's a change in neighbours attitudes and parking. Why should I move?

I think the solution will be buy a load of cars and fill the spaces myself. I ain't moving, that's defeatest. I like my house.

Lou said:
You must live in a right rough area
The neigbourhood has been going down lately for sure :D

Woz said:
I can come and park a low loader outside
Now there's an idea, I have 3 big lorries at work :D

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Count your blessings that your neighbours don't disturb you with loud music too. Or move.
Now I could be that neighbour :D

I still have a 4kw rig out on loan from when I was a DJ, I could get it back for playing some background music for the whole village. Stick some gabba on repeat and go diving............

for the week :D

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Buy another car and leave the second car at home during the day to 'reserve' the spot outside your house?

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Why should I move?
Conversely, why should your neighbours chnage their practise of parking legally to accomodate the fact that you're upset with having to park 100 yards from your house.

To be honest mate, if this really is the biggest problem you are currently facing in your life, then you are truly leading a charmed existence.

Juz

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Do you own the road outside your house? .
Yes I do!
I now live in a "private road" with my part of it shown on my deeds.
Where we used to live was a nightmare for parking. I'd come home from work and have nowhere in the road to park.

Now I have a choice of garage (but keep the bike in there), driveway with room for two cars or my own bit of road!

Tempted to put up a sign No unauthorised parking - Wheelclamps will be used £500 release fee!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
PS, buy a house with a drive :D
That don't help. I have a driveway and it must have a neon sign on it that I cannot see that says parking space here. The number of times I have been blocked in/out by the neighbours, some of which live 5 or 6 houses away and have their own drives! I have called the police to them in the past and got it shifted!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts