YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Passed my written and pool exams, for my novice diver with the saa, now going to do open water dives starting at capernwray (i think), so need to get a dry suit so i can do dry suit course in the pool before were going to be allowed out, i have heard that deep blue dive have some second hand ones for sale, fitted with new seals and pressure tested, apparently approx. 10 months old used for there dive school,is there any pitfalls to be aware of when buying secondhand? Also what type of hood, gloves are best for diving at this time of year?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

If the seals are new and the suits pressure tested, they should be OK. The main thing is that the suit fits you, with room for a good undersuit and thick socks if you intend to dive at this time of the year. You don't want the boots to be TOO big though as any air that migrates may collect there and there's nothing worse than having two balloons on your feet. As regards hoods, get the best one you can. You need about 5 mm neoprene in the winter. Again, make sure it fits you. Gloves:  I recommend bout 5-6 mm three-finger mitts for winter use. Good luck with your drysuit!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from John Gulliver on 9:37 am on Jan. 6, 2003
Gloves:  I recommend bout 5-6 mm three-finger mitts for winter use. Good luck with your drysuit!
<span =''>

Anyone know who sells three-finger mitts, I have been looking for some and a source is eluding me.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Every diveshop here in Sweden sells them - ordinary 5-finger gloves are no good here except in July to September - and there are many makes. Mine are made by Mares, and I think they are the best. They are warm, supple and easy to put on and take off. They are long enough to cover my wrist seals and have a Velcro strap, so they let very little water in. I'm diving in them now, with a surface water temp of zero and 4 degrees at 25 metres. Blandford are Mares' agents in the UK and should be able to help you. If you are unable to get them in the UK, I would be pleased to get you a pair and post them to you if you e-mail me. Mine are size medium and my shoe size is 41 (continental), about 8 UK, if that's any guide to my hand size - I believe it is supposed to be.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

If you want to look like a real poofter, you should get a pair of gloves like mine. They are dry gloves that actually seal onto my cuff seals, so squeeze is not a problem. The full system cost £42 with replacement gloves only £12. The only problem is the sense of touch you lose, but, with bloody cold and wet hands you lose this anyway. I will swap back to wet gloves when the water heats back up again, until then I'll at least be warm at the same time as looking queer.

Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Skenner, well done on passing the course mate!! Another person to dive with on our Troop Gigs!! Result.

PeterT, there are two places you can try for your dive mittens: either call Scott at Probe Diving in Oldham on TEL: 0161 - 633 - 0966. He may have some old stock for ya that you might pick up cheap. Failing that, call SDS Watersports in Sheffield - they're bound to have them! - on TEL: 01142 - 488688. Ask for Margret or Arthur and they'll give you a choice of manufacturer, price (including postage) and get them posted to you house once you've decided which ones you want.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

PeterT

Denny Diving at Redcar have the mitts in stock, I saw them whilst getting a fill last week

URL is... http://www.divingdirect.co.uk/divein.htm

skener
I'm about to sell my Oceanic Aedura drysuit for no other reason than its too small for me and I cannot reach my valves. Heres a link so that you can see what it looks like.. http://www.divingdirectshop.co.uk/acatalog/OCEANIC_DRYSUITS.html

My number is 01642 872302 or 0771 4034666 if you wanna try it out... I seem to remember that you're not too far from me, Sedgefield wasn't it?

regards
Dave

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Pete I shall, if I can remember my bloody password that is.... I've just re-installed windows and I'm buggered if I can remember what I used for UKDivers.. doh! can't do much modding as a guest eh..... I am a muppet!

skener
I forgot to say congrats mate.... sorry about that.. keep up the good work and let me know if you need anything

Dave.

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Dave
Your welcolme to borrow that Otter suit if you want to try a larger size before buying.

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Just let me know what suits you, I am off this weekend and the following Sunday, Mon and Tuesday. It depends how desperate you are

1 - 12 of 12 Posts