YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Confused? You will be.
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are just about to renew the passports for the children and need to get photos sorted out. Given that the younger two can barely stop arguing / giggling / moving the chances of getting acceptable photos from a booth are about 5%. Consequently I am thinking about taking the photos at home myself and using those.

The choices as regards printing at to use my home printer or to use a digital photo service. If I do the printing at home I will need glossy paper - but does anyone produce photo paper for laser printers? If so where can i get some from?

TIA

If need be I will leave the kids at home. :D

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
It might be worth looking at a local independant camera store. Our local one charges somewhere in the region of £5 for passport photos. Worth considering to ensure you comply with sizing and background rules etc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I did my own, there were minimum requirements on the passport website for things like dpi of the printer, size of the photo and size of your image on the photo i.e. from your shoulder to top of head had to be a minimum size. Probably simpler to read the instructions.
Mine went through without problems, printed on photo paper on an inkjet.

Martin

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I got mine done in a camera shop to Borders Agency standards. I went along to the office in Liverpool to renew it over the counter and was told I'd have to redo the pics in their booth. Funnily enough, everyone else there was told the same thing and I'll bet everyone that walks through the door is told that... five quid a go, they must turn a nice profit. Strangely, I couldn't spot any difference between the originals and the new ones.

·
Confused? You will be.
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got mine done in a camera shop to Borders Agency standards. I went along to the office in Liverpool to renew it over the counter and was told I'd have to redo the pics in their booth. Funnily enough, everyone else there was told the same thing and I'll bet everyone that walks through the door is told that... five quid a go, they must turn a nice profit. Strangely, I couldn't spot any difference between the originals and the new ones.
I will move over to make a little room for you on the cynics bench. How did they get around the signed photo issue or was that "not a problem sir"?

·
Gone to pastures new
958 Posts
I used a smallish local photo shop because I needed additional copies for visas when I was getting my second passport. They were once I'd gone over the 4 copies cheaper than a machine and checked all the sizing and legality there, no problems with either the visas or the passport back from the agents in 4 days.

·
13,407 Posts
I will move over to make a little room for you on the cynics bench. How did they get around the signed photo issue or was that "not a problem sir"?
It was a renewal so didn't matter. I might get a nice cushion made, this bench is a bit hard :D

·
Keyboard Worrier
4,155 Posts
If your handing in the stuff they dont need anyone to sign to say it is you, cos they can see it is you ;-)

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
If your handing in the stuff they dont need anyone to sign to say it is you, cos they can see it is you ;-)
I think Jay is referring to the fact that he's renewing the kids passports. Signing for renewals is not required IF your appearance has not changed significantly. For kids passports often they have so need to be signed for. IIRC

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
I got mine done by a professional. It was worth the money - but why do I look like Mr Fritzl?

·
13,407 Posts
I got mine done by a professional. It was worth the money - but why do I look like Mr Fritzl?
Sorry John, but you know you're getting old when you've gone from looking like Peter Sutcliffe to Harold Shipman in his prime to Joseph Fritzl.

Reactions: 5363

·
13,407 Posts
On a positive note it might lead to some building work as a sideline. Convert that unwanted basement and gain three useful extra rooms. Free quotes, top quality workmanship, references available.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can take them at home, photoshop to the required size and get 6 printed off at ASDA for 36p.

Good luck getting the kids to sit still!

Sharon

·
GUE-F
742 Posts
Take them at home then take the memory card to Boots. The machines there have an ID card option which sizes the images for you, you just have to line the image up using 2 lines on the screen. The assistant showed me how to do it the first time but its very easy and a sheet of 6 prints comes to something like 70p.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts