YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i really, really, really hate divernet. why do i even go there? i'm never going to visit it again

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

What post prompted this Kate,

I rarely go there and can't be arsed to sift through all the crap to see what prompted your comments.

Daz

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

You're on YD.  Why did you need to go there in the first place?!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Imported post

Was it one particular thread which p*ssed you off Kate? They all seem to dissolve into handbagging these days...

Fraser.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Damn! now I had to go and look to see what the problem was
Is it This post that's p***ed you off Kate ?  
Anyhoo... the banter there is very poor compared to here so rowlocks to 'em  

AND we're pretty much a troll-free zone here too which is more than I can say for "the Dark Side"
Yay for us

·
Registered
481 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is it This post that's p***ed you off Kate ?  
If it is I shouldn't worry, that idiot has been trolling the boards for over a week in various guises. They'd managed to bin most of his rubbish but they obviously missed that one.

Fraser.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Sorry Kate

I had replied to his post therefore infuriating you even more  
as for one of the other replies about beards and breasts.  Haven't got a beard but breasts definately  

Fiona

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>thanks guys - no it wasn't that post that you referred to steve, i hadn't even seen it

i had made what i had thought was a reasonable, non-confrontational comment quite a while back, and when i looked back today to see if had had any response i saw that people had responded in the manner of patronsing gits. and no they weren't trollers, but regular members! some people were just born without tact glands i guess

my blood was really boiling for a while back there, but i've calmed down now! and andy, you're right - i've got YD so i don't need to go there  

EDIT: just read the d-net thread you linked to steve - very funny! beards and man-breasts! no, i definitely wouldn't take offence at something like that  

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>First hooked up onto Divernet looking for buddies and very quickly found Bren's link to here. Never looked back.

Kate, you stick with us - we don't need anybody else!  

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

That guy Tubby's just a fanny. He trolled a week or so back about where to keep you're mask, on top of you're head or round you're neck, unfortunately I never realised it was a troll and answered in seriousness about how Eastwood had a fatality caused, indirectly, by keeping your mask on your head.

Somehow he hasn't realised the error of his ways, I think I'll go and remind him of that now
Peter

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Carefull Kate, some of us are regulars over there, in a different disguise and we pop over to have an un-civilised ruck when we fell grumpy, er that's a joke by the way.
Which thread was it, I'd like to just make sure it wasnt me!

Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I've often wondered why I think aquabin is a bit of a tosser, yet MATTBIN is Ok. Go figure!

'Tis a weird world t'internet,
Peter

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Feb. 16 2004,16:49)]Which thread was it, I'd like to just make sure it wasnt me!
don't worry matt, it wasn't you!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've often wondered why I think aquabin is a bit of a tosser, yet MATTBIN is Ok. Go figure!
it is a bit weird (not aquabin/MATTBIN, but d-net personas vs YD personas in general)

i'm convinced it's to do with avatars and good member profiles. you get a really good idea of who someone is on YD, and they're less anonymous than just a name, and hence not so easy to slag off or have a go at... maybe. or i could be talking rubbish!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

My conclusion as to why it differs, is that when some of us got fed up with the aggresion elsewhere we went looking and we found this place and that it was friendlier most times because it was smaller, the guys on here knew each other and had dived together so it was more like a club. That set the overall feeling of the place, then some of the 'newer' people (myself etc) met and dived with existing people who knew others and it ended up that a knew b and b knew c but a & c didnt know each other but had a mutual friend in b so it rarely degenrated as it sometimes does elsewhere on the Internet. It has since the early days grown much bigger but still there is that mutual friend thing going.

Plus when we get cheesed we can go login elsewhere, all anonymous and really get stuck in cos no-one knows who you are, unless of course Peter blabs off  
 and grasses you up.

Matt

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Also, IMHO there are at least a couple of notable twats (sorry, did I say twats? I mean Dive Gods, obviously) who post there but not here (yet). I think that makes a big difference - one or two people can really sour a forum.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ Feb. 16 2004,17:45)]Also, IMHO there are at least a couple of notable twats (sorry, did I say twats? I mean Dive Gods, obviously) who post there but not here (yet). I think that makes a big difference - one or two people can really sour a forum.
Agree entirely,  we have a completely different class of twats over here  

Interestingly none of the twats on here set themselves up as dive gods, they are much more humble  

Daz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Feb. 16 2004,18:00)]someday I hope to be a dive GOD, but I fear there just isnt enough time, so being just OK will have to do.
Matt,  You'll be lucky to make it to the demi-god status.  

Daz

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I posted this a while ago - i feel it is apt here too

Dive Bitch.

It has been said that I hate men.  This is not true; indeed I have one of my very own for my personal enjoyment.  Some men however, I would like to be like my coffee - ground up and in the freezer.  I am the girl divers answer to the scuba git, his arch nemesis, his downfall, because one-day girls - we will rule the waves.
The thing about scuba git, and his many, many children who pop up in every dive club in the country is that they can talk the talk, but need a wheelchair when it comes to the walk.  As long as you keep this in mind, we can all beat him at his own game by being able to dive better than he can.
Now the world of diving is slowly waking up to the fact that it is not only men who want to dive in this country.  Women's gear is slowly making its way onto the market, women's courses are sure to follow.  The only thing holding us back is the people who think we shouldn't be down there because we are delicate objects for them to leer at in the pool.  In the past I have been told that I can't dive with my gear, it is "too heavy for me"!  Bite me.  I have dived more than most scuba gits in my club put together this year, all with the nasty heavy gear, even to the unthinkable depth of 45m, and been breathing the stuff of the devil himself - nitrox.  My gear is not all black, bodged together with duct tape and cable ties.  

We have advantages over the male of the species in this sport.  We use far less air, we will ask directions to the site from people, and yes, we look good in a drysuit.  We can fit through smaller holes on wrecks (no beer guts), we get cheap gear because its size extra small.  Seals don't try to mug us underwater.

There are disadvantages of being a girl diver though.  Male divers tend to be trolls, and unless you want to be a trollette and join in, you have got to put up with the belching, farting and swearing.  You cant pee easily on a rib, you can guarantee it will be a busy site and you will have to either brave hanging your bum over the side, or hold it in.  We tend to be shorter, so cant reach up onto ribs on trailers so well.  And yes, we can be weaker too, but believe me, not as weak as some men can be.

So when you encounter a dive git, remember he is an endangered species, speak slowly and clearly he may not understand terms such as "wing", "stage cylinder" and "computer".  He will still be in a Fenzy, a Calor gas bottle and washing machine parts.  A home made wetsuit which he has used a crowbar to fit himself into "it fitted me 20 years ago, and it still fits now" and a home made wooden reel with bailer twine as string.

So play nice.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for pointing us to the "TUBBY" thread Daz. I gleefully called him a wanker in a roundabout way...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts