YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2 SUN M20s from work. One works, one does not. I've removed everything from the case except the motherboard & power supply. Rebuilt from the spare but no progress. Symptoms, soft button on front, starts the PC but all I get is FF on the bios fault code display, then powers down. No beep, nothing. All Fans turn but then stop when power is removed. Found the User Manual online but no clue to the problem from there. I'm wondering if a faulty power supply could cause a powerdown? Is this PC that sophisticated?

All help gratefully received.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Simple answer...yes.

They were that sophisticated that the power good signal should come on before a power on.

Problem could also be processor. If this does not come up then bootstrap does not load so no boot.

Haven't fixed one for a long time so can't remember much more sorry.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I swapped everything except the psu. All power to fans comes from the motherboard so power must be getting that far. I ran bootup on both machines as I swapped over components on my good one. The good machine kept booting, even with the duff machines HDD. The duff machine just kept starting up for 0.5 seconds then FF and power off. I can only assume somethings gone on the motherboard. :-( (I did swap the bios battery too).

Cheers for the advice. Will ask work IT guy if there are any spares.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sun Ultra 20 M2 with FF Bios post code

Well I swapped everything except the psu. All power to fans comes from the motherboard so power must be getting that far. I ran bootup on both machines as I swapped over components on my good one. The good machine kept booting, even with the duff machines HDD. The duff machine just kept starting up for 0.5 seconds then FF and power off. I can only assume somethings gone on the motherboard. :-( (I did swap the bios battery too).

Cheers for the advice. Will ask work IT guy if there are any spares.

I'm getting FF on my Ultra 20.

Did you tried change the bios of your Ultras?

I think my problem is bios.

Did you solve your problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts