YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

PCs for Decoplanning

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnD 
#1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>What handheld PCs does anyone use for planning dives with V planner etc? I dont want to buy a laptop and need to know what will work with the popular planning software, and with what operating system.
thanks......

#5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I just looked at the Decoweenie website, downloaded the files and it works(?) pity you need to register to get the full program to evaluate it. Anyone have REAL diving experience of using it?

#6 ·
Imported post

I use a very old laptop - 386 processor.

These can be so cheap (less than a hand held) that it may be a worthwhile oiption- mine was free since it can't run some new office type software, runs off the cig lighter and is fine for V planner.

Not too handy in a little RIB mind

#8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>what sort of diving do you use it for? Air, Nitrox & Trimix? have you had any problems? do you have a sample dive plan you could send me so that I can see how it looks? on the bottom time is it ACTUAL time on the bottom or including the time taken for descent? the only other program I have used is Vplanner, how does it vary?
I know, lots of questions........

#9 ·
Imported post

OK.... I use it for Trimix CCR, but it does everything up to that point (air, nitrox, OC etc).  No real problems, the only one being that it's all screen based so I'm not able to print & laminate -which is why I tend to use it on holiday and use ddPlan (PC based) at home.
It includes descent time.  Don't know about VPlan cos it's not a program I've used much, but it matches ddPlan minute for minute when the same GFs and gases are plumbed in.  If I could get the F-ing Clie working again I'd be able to give you more.  Useful info. DON'T LOSE YOUR CHARGER
 .  It's incredibly difficult to source a replacement. Ask an assistant in Dixons or a Sony shop where you can get one and their eyes glaze over, drool comes out of their mouths and then they curl up under the counter twitching.

#11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>Thanks Rob, Im not too bothered it cant print out cos if I had a laptop then I wouldnt always have a printer along with me anyway. My Bowstone slate has clear plastic pockets you can put laminated runtime sheets into and then flip the sheets to see the different tables. I have buhlmann tables printed off permanently and I made up a sheet with spaces for runtimes and stoptimes with 4 different plans and 2 more for losing deco gases they are all laminated and always in there. I then write the different times on in chinograph so I can use it again and again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.