YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
mari usque ad mare
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
perception of depth we all chat away about how deep we dive some dive shallow and some dive deep , but do we aways realize how deep we actually are. i have put up this photo of a 10 floor project i am working on at the moment with all the various ceiling heights, so that you can actually see what 20 or 40 meters looks like in real terms, unfortunately in only goes up to 45.5 meters so it is no good for the deeper divers

·
"Available" (strictly in a professional sense)
314 Posts
I always find the viz effects my perception of depth (obvious really) once looked up at the rib from "Carbonero" wreck at about 42m "Gin clear" and wondered who was farting about jumping off the boat (for fun and cool down) it looked like a few fin kicks and I could be up there??

·
beware of imitations
790 Posts
Interesting about the depth perception.

More importantly I'd say you look a bit pale in that photograph. You might want to have a chat with your doc about possible anemia.

ATB,

M

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts

·
mari usque ad mare
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen photos of Churches and the like to give depth perception before. TBH the 20m church spire in the photo in Nigel's article (in the link) looks a lot lot lot lot 'deeper' than the 4th floor in the photo in the OP - 5.5m high stories are the exception rather than the norm!
it is all about perception it look deeper because it is tall and thin while the building in my photos is twice has tall but much wider

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I remember doing a dive in Gozo once. The instructor and the AOW's stopped at 25m, me and one of the other DM's, by arrangement dropped to 50, I remember looking back up and thinking that the other group were a bloody long way away, and that was only half way to the surface.

·
Registered
706 Posts
More importantly I'd say you look a bit pale in that photograph. You might want to have a chat with your doc about possible anemia.
You look a bit thin too. You should also ask your doc about BMI and diet. Possibly ask to be referred to a dietician, or a psycohologist, depending on whether it's diet or eating disorder related.

·
Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist...............
2,382 Posts
erm,
Anyone care to remind me from what depths PADI declares you can CESA from?

Is it assumed that 40M being no-stop depth that this is still possible?

This pic has changed my mind on that little decision tree...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
erm,
Anyone care to remind me from what depths PADI declares you can CESA from?

Is it assumed that 40M being no-stop depth that this is still possible?

This pic has changed my mind on that little decision tree...
12m IIRC... someone double check my dodgy memory!

That said, if I were at 45m and the only way to survive (maybe) was to CESA all the way, I'd probably give it a go rather than sulk and refuse!!!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I found it significantly scary to stand on the edge of a building that was 10m high. I then realised that I considered 10m to be nothing. From the top of that building it didn't seem like nothing. No sir. I then mentally multiplied that building by 3, 4, 5, to get a feel for how deep I was diving at the time. It scared me a bit.

Underwater I don't have the fear of falling. I can look out into the abyss from a cliff wall, and there is no danger there to me. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem like so high/deep.

Digs.

·
mari usque ad mare
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found it significantly scary to stand on the edge of a building that was 10m high. I then realised that I considered 10m to be nothing. From the top of that building it didn't seem like nothing. No sir. I then mentally multiplied that building by 3, 4, 5, to get a feel for how deep I was diving at the time. It scared me a bit.

Underwater I don't have the fear of falling. I can look out into the abyss from a cliff wall, and there is no danger there to me. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem like so high/deep.

Digs.
if i know the sites well were i am diving i try not to use a buoy line , i love the slow free fall feeling has i descend it reminds of when i did a bit skydiving , just not has exhilarating

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
I remember looking up from the bottom of Thomas Canyon in the Red Sea at 96m and thought......thats gonna take some time.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
It occurs to me there must be something in the human brain not able to comprehend height when looking up.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It occurs to me there must be something in the human brain not able to comprehend height when looking up.
I think there's something in the brain which expects to only look down about 6ft. Our eyes tend to focus to that distance when our head tilts down, as usually the furthest thing you can see is the ground you're standing on. That's partly why we get dizzy looking down a steep drop.

There's also the thought that fear of heights is actually a fear of not being able to stop yourself from jumping off out of curiosity.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts