YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've got an old Suunto Solution Alpha dive computer, which has thus far been fine for my bimbly-type diving, but I have hit a problem with my home computer.

I used to have a proper computer with separate monitor, keyboard, processor bit, and the processor bit came with lots of ports, including a serial port (can you see where this is going?).  I've now moved on to a lapdog that has no serial port, and thus I can't plug my Suunto Solution Alpha in to donwload my dive profile.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy / build a USB interface for this computer?  If not, am I forced into buying a port replicator to plug into the lapdog, or is there a smart 'third way' I haven't thought of yet?

Andy

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I think you can get a device that plugs into the USB port has a serial port on the other end.

I will do some digging.

Daz

Addendum :-

Yep you can Convertor
and Another
You can probably dig around for a better price but this was the first one I found.

HTH

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

My lap top has a separate "plug in" section that has all the serial/comms etc. Check the manufacturers web site - maybe there is something available for yours.

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks for the help guys .... armed with the knowledge that such things did exist, I got one from:

http://www.rhinocom.co.uk/index.p....t_id=41

However, I bought it via Ebay and it was only £14 including VAT and delivery - brand new, boxed etc.  Used it last night and it works perfectly.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts