YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

PFO Closure fails to prevent DCI!

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Andrea123 
#1 ·
For those who know my story so far, please bear with me whilst I re-tell the first part.

In July 2005 I suffered a neurological DCI after a dive that was perfectly acceptable to current constraints.

Following three days recompression I was advised to get checked out for a PFO.

This proved positive (about 10mm) and was subsequently closed and checked as ok. I had made the decision to refrain from diving during this period, and I was passed fit to dive in March 2007, almost 19 months after the accident.

I then bought some new kit and embarked on a series of refamiliarisation dives with an instructor friend. I did a total of nine dives in inland sites and built up slowly to eventually hit 36m in Stony.

Three weeks later I had my first trip back in the channel and ended up with another neurological DCI.

For the record the dive stats went like this. Temp. 12C, Viz. 5m, Max. depth 24m, Av. depth 16m, Bottom time 40mins, Gas 36%, Ascent rate 3.5 m/min, Safety stop 5mins.

Ironically I went to get checked out for a shoulder pain which proved to be Musculo-Skelatal, but whilst at the chamber a neuro hit was diagnosed of which I had not been aware!!

Fortunately I was in Plymouth so I saw Phil Bryson (Medical director Diving Diseases Research Centre) the next day whose advice was to retire from diving. I have since been back to see Peter Wilmshurst who failed to get any bubbles across the PFO closure, and whose advice concurs with Phil Bryson's.

I have therefore hung up what little kit I had left after two of my children raided my dive bag. ( At least it's going to a good home! )

What a bummer!
Yours in diving
Larry

See less See more
#8 ·
If the PFO is sealed, ie no bubbles, then the Docs can give no reasonable cause for the neuro hit after an extremely non-provacative dive. There is obviously something wrong with my body and therefore the best course of action is to quit.

Mine was 10mm shunting at rest and I made the decision not to dive 'til it was plugged.
Cheers
Larry

#3 ·
Sorry to hear that Larry, it shows how little we know about DCS and our susceptibility to it.

Could I ask, were you showing any symptoms?

Best wishes for the future, wherever it takes you.

Kind regards,
Steve

#4 ·
Shit Larry that's awful news.
At least the closure has benifitted you in other ways, but not to prevent DCI Hits is a devastating blow.
Also DCI on such a simple dive, good EAN mix, not too deep and not a really long dive, you must have had hrs of NST left.

All the best for the future,

Ali

#7 ·
Larry

i wont go into details on here but i would seriously get a second opinion for the diving with someone nearer your place

good luck though and pm me if you want any names

Graham

#10 ·
After leaving the pot Sunday afternoon and before seeing Phil Bryson on the Monday morning, I spent a lot of time carefully considering what had happened and what might happen in the future. I had more or less come to the conclusion that giving up diving was probably the only safe option. Even if the heart rivet was found to be faulty it would have meant seriously risky surgery to put it right. Therefore Phil's advice was really a rubber stamp for my own thoughts.

When Peter Wilmshurst was able to prove the efficacy of the closure, and give the same advice, I was more than happy to accept it.

However I am intrigued that you think there might be another option and ask that you share it with us. If you feel unable to discuss it openly then please pm or ring me. 01304852916.
Cheers
Larry

#11 ·
I am very sorry to hear your news. I cannot begin to comprehend the dilemmas you have faced in coming to your conclusions, but thank you for sharing some of that process with us and I wish you all the best for the future - dry or wet.

Regards, Paul

#16 ·
Hi Larry

I think you have been unbelievably unlucky. When people get so called "underserved bends" so much seems to point towards PFO's that it is easy to forget that there are other causes some of which we simply do not understand.

I am sure you have made the correct decision and I wish you well in the future. Take care

Chris

#17 ·
Sorry Chris, but I really can't agree with you on this.

I think I have been unbelievably lucky. Whatever is going on inside me could well have killed me.

Fortunately I've had the opportunity to stop whilst the going is good. I know I'll be missing out on some cracking dives, but consider myself privileged to have experienced some of the best sites around the world. I'll always have those memories, with less risk now of blowing them.
Cheers
Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.