YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rich D
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a bend, went to the chamber, then got checked for a pfo - oops it was positive....I really didnt expect that, the advice from the chamber doc, is that I would be 'better not to dive' until after closure...

Now bearing in mind that I've done around 300 dives mainly in the UK, mainly fairly deep (30-40m) and have had some pretty agressive profiles in the past (not by design), do I follow the advice and write the rest of the season off, or just be cautious? if it were you what would you do?

To complicate things, I have just changed jobs, and I get no sick pay for 6 months, so pending closure (which I'm planning on having done) 6 months wipes the rest of the year out for diving.

I still think that dehydration was the main factor in the bend, but thats another story

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I had exactly the same, and got bent in Malta (GLOC My PFO). That was in the September, I only dived shallow stuff, once for Scuba Santas and another for an UW photo training session. My PFO was fixed the following Feb, and then I went diving in the May after the all clear. The rest of last year was a 'mare anyway so I pretty much missed a whole season diving (moved house 3 times, moved jobs, got married, had baby...) but then I am planning a little more this year. The sea/wrecks/whatever will always be there, it was hard to not dive, there is no doubt about it, but I am getting back in the water now.

Your choice about what you dive, but I personally limited myself to very shallow stuff and nowhere near deco limits.

Regards

·
Rich D
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its made me a lot more aware of my diving and profiles, which can only be a good thing.

But I really want to get back in the water, i'm thinking of limiting myself to 18m on nitrox, to be honest I dont care if its 6m if it gets me in the water again! even the pool is sounding good after 6 weeks out of the water!

·
So long and thanks for all the fish!
891 Posts
I had pfo and had it closed. Didn't dive at all until given the okay by the diving doc, then didn't go deeper until diving doc said I could. Decided I would rather miss being in the water for a while and be that much safer when I do go back in than risk it.

A couple of things to consider: there is no guarantee that the bend was caused by being dehydrated instead of the pfo and if you plan on diving overseas doing so knowing you have a pfo may invalidate your insurance.

Good luck whichever you decide :teeth:

Just saw your second post... I did a happy dance when allowed to dive in the pool!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
After my diagnosis I had 10 months dry, 4 months pre-op and 6 post-op. As Gareth said, the sea was still there and I felt a whole heap better about getting in it :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
If your planning to have it closed why risk a potential problem prior to the op....but if your not planning to have it closed id say as the PFO could well cause you a problem at some point anyway what have you got to lose that so you may as well go and dive. In your position i hope i would look for long term resolution rather than satisfying a short term desire

·
So long and thanks for all the fish!
891 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, once I knew I had one I looked into the possible risks of not having it closed as it was a large shunt. The two that concerned me the moste are the increased risk of having TIA's (mini-strokes) or a stroke at an early age. I decided that, as it is a simple procedure, the time out of the water and reduction of those risks were worth it.

·
Trouble re-Member-ing
1,080 Posts
I would hate to think of someone sitting in a wheelchair thinking "I wish I had taken the doctors advice."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts