YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh my oh my oh my... noone ever told you just what hard work it is being an instructor... I have been in a permanent state of knackerdness since qualifying.. but loooooooove it ... it is simply one of the most rewarding things I have ever done...:) :) :)

I am laying here on the sofa where I fell at 5 pm having come back from Gildy from just 2 dives.. I should be packing my things for my move in less than 1 month, I should iron my uniform for tomorrow, I should wash my kit, I should have a nice bath and wash my hair.. and now 2 hrs on... ehh... too tired to even cook dinner which in the end consited of one apple and a glass of cider.. (at least I stick with the theme.. lol)

... cant get enough of it though, like a drug.. (oh dear dont let the boss hear that one) - can not wait for weekend to do it all over again...

B x

·
Makes most sense when narked/drunk
331 Posts
After 4 years of teaching I decided to take a break and do some diving for fun. I forgot what it was like to be in the water without having to watch how someone was replacing their mask/doing an OOA drill etc.

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
LOL, tell it to Turbs! He instructs full-time, one course after another. Last week, he and another instructor had a total of 14 AOW and OW students all on the same day. Four boat dives, plus shore dives, all done between the two instructors working in tandem.

He'd love a weekend of two-dive days. It'd give him a nice rest :)

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
LOL, tell it to Turbs! He instructs full-time, one course after another. Last week, he and another instructor had a total of 14 AOW and OW students all on the same day. Four boat dives, plus shore dives, all done between the two instructors working in tandem.

He'd love a weekend of two-dive days. It'd give him a nice rest :)
Wait 'til the TDI stuff starts ;)

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Blimey. I kind of got the impression, B, that you had been doing a lot of teaching since you qualified. I don't think, in all the time I have been instructing that I have ever only done two dives in a day. I would consider that an easy weekend. The other weekend, i was doing an AOW/Specialty weekend, and between the team (there were 2 new OWSI's, me and a CD) we did 14 dives.

This is where it helps to have DM's who are on the ball, know what they are doing, and instructors who have spent enough time DM'ing to be able to organise the weekend so that it runs like clockwork, everything gets done, everyone has a great time and no-one feels rushed.

·
South African - and proud of it!
180 Posts
Well done. It's not the number of dives or the number of students that rack up the exhaustion - it's the nervous tension of being totally responsible for the wellbeing of your students. All of a sudden, the buck has stopped and you realise it's you holding it!

As the years pass, the tension eases - unfortunately, only to be replaced by old age. Knackered is the norm - but that's what work during the week is for - to catch up ready for the weekend diving!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.