YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Great place, nice people, cheap as anything. The dive outfit I went with a few years ago have since folded, but there are still a good few operators there - Discovery Divers have a good name and a nice set-up.
There is a small Brit-run resort on Sangat Island which is gorgeous if a teeny bit pricey.
There are plenty of places to stay in Coron town, but try and find a place close to the waterfront as it is less affected by the racket of dogs barking all bloody night :angry:

In terms of the wrecks, you can't go wrong with the Irako and Akitsushima - both in a max depth of 40m and stupendous penetration dives. Kogyo Maru and Olympia Maru are both great dives too. I can honestly say that I've had some of my very best wreck dives on the Coron ships.

Also try out Barracuda lake, just for the experience of the going from warm to really warm water as you descend. Getting to it's a bit nerve-wracking as you have to climb some pretty jagged rockery in all your kit to get to it.

Gunter's Cathedral's also a very nice scenic dive.

The vis around the wrecks can be a bit murky, but if you're used to British vis you won't be too disappointed.

There is Nitrox to be had, but I can't be sure of its availabilty - it was a bit patchy on my last visit (admittedly a few years ago).

Have a look at these guys

Discovery Divers: Wreck Tek & scuba diving in Coron, Palawan, Phlippines

·
Not many Mackerel but all a good size
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have our own yacht with RIB and compressor and wont need a dive operator or digs. A mooring in sight of the pub is always welcome tho.

I have a vision Coron must be like an asian Tobermory only with mossies not miggies.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
If you have your own boats then you could always visit the town the other side of the bay which was the Leper colony. It is now a museum - quite interesting. There are quite a few shallow reefs too, so charts & nav should be up to scratch, we sailed to the colony one day.

The wrecks were bouyed, so easy to find. Keep away from the rafts with huts on. These are the pearl farmers, they guard the areas and are apparently of the shoot first, don't ask questions variety. All the boats we went on openly carried shotguns. Although I'm not sure if their use would help matters, more a warning.

There are some hot water springs to one side of Coron, almost a public swimming baths.

No problems with mossies.

Adrian

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
I'm going there next week.

Anyone been there, got the t shirt etc?

Advice sort.
Can't give much advice but was down that way in '99 working a Jap tank landing craft that had been laden with 42 tons of gold plus Saki bottles filled with diamonds. The vessel - 'Kori Maru' - was about to depart with the loot when American fighter-bombers turned up to spoil their day. The 'Kori Maru' actually belonged to and was crewed by the Imperial Japanese Army and one of the survivors of the attack testified as to how the gold bars were stacked under the raised 'runner' plates that the tanks drove onto. The wreck lay upright on the bottom in 74metres of warm gin - lovely jubbly.

We sailed from Brunei under 'radio silence' imposed by the salvage consortium (our clients) and we were not allowed to make phone calls for the duration of the job. We were never told the exact location of the wreck, though we were only a mile or so off a beach and no-one had a personal GPS with them - all 'secret squirrel' shit. Strangely, the locals obviously hadn't heard that it was a 'secret' as we had an old fisherman come aboard who, as a young man witnessed the sinking. And even more strangely, when we arrived in Singapore three weeks later every diver and his dog asked if we had been on, "the gold job" - who would have thought dogs would be interested in such things?

A. Berk

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Hi,

Dived there in early Febuary of this year and stayed at Sangat.

Diving was great although the viz was very poor (well is if you've travelled half way around the world to dive in the South China Sea). Even got the t-shirt lol :teeth:

Sangat Island itself is a lovely island with nothing to do at all but go diving then relax on the beach.

A couple of vids:

YouTube - Nanshin Maru

YouTube - Inside the wreck

Sangat Island

And some of the underwater life here as a slideshow.

suggsy's slideshow on Flickr

You'll love it, just don't expect great viz. Some good wreck penetrations to be had as well, although following the guide through the Olympia Maru is advised as it's a very big ship.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.