YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm thinking of getting one of these to take travelling with me, but being a techno-bimbo I have no idea whether this is the best way to store digital photos....

would it be easier to upload them onto a website in an internet cafe, but then would they necessarily have the software?  ohhhh confused!!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

are you taking about a stand alone burner or taking a laptop?

we have been using a laptop with our didg camera for a couple of years.  really useful.

However,  we also log and plan dives on the PC so taking it along with us makes sense.  its also good for watching movies in airport louges and flights.

it's been to Scapa and Deep southern red sea and points in between so far and with a little TLC and a decent computer it will go the distance.

Failing that a large memeory card will carry a fair few images.  depends on how long the trip is.  this has the benefit of being able to keep the housing sealed hence reducing risks.  Bad side is, if it leaks, you loose ALL the imges.

Mass storage devices are good but I don't have one so I'm not sure how you upload the files from the card to the device without a laptop?

JP

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

i was thinking of a stand alone burner.  I'd love to take a lapdog but i'm travelling for a year with all my divegear, camera & housing - and at this rate will only have room in my luggage for half a bikini.....

heck - i'm going to need some insurance aren't i?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

why not look into the mass storage option?  I know I pods can be used for storing images and data, but I'm not sure how you get the bits in the machine!  plus you can listen to your toons on the move.  have a good trip.

JP

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suzanne @ April 06 2004,11:20)]I'm thinking of getting one of these to take travelling with me, but being a techno-bimbo I have no idea whether this is the best way to store digital photos....
Good question - applies to me as well.

I had planned to buy a large memory card and also burn them to CDs whenever I found someone willing to let me use their pc and then send CD back home to UK (or leave in NZ with Jo's family) so we had a back-up if the camera was lost.

So if anyone else has any smart ideas, do shout up

One of the biggest lessons I have learned was when I left Tel Aviv (where I was working) two days before the Gulf War (I not II
) started,  was that photos  are some of your most important possessions. I had taken out a whole lot from the UK to remind me of friends and family and I left them when I "did a runner"  

Of all my stuff left out there the photos were the only things I was worried about losing.  

Simon

·
Registered
101 Posts
Imported post

My other half has an Arcos.  It is a bit like the ipod but you can buy a model that comes complete with the card reader.  It also comes with a nice interface to view your pictures.  Came with a 20Gb capacity so lots of space to store you mp3 files.  If you are interested I can get you more details, drop me a PM

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

Probably the cheapest way to do this is to get yourself a card reader (about £30 for USB one) and spare memory cards. If you want to save the pictures or email them out then you can (there are loads of sites which offer free photo storage). Keeping your camera set to a lower picture resolution will allow you to store more piccies and make uploads quicker.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i was thinking of a stand alone burner.
not sure there is any such thing - as far as my knowledge goes (I used to sell computer and CD burning kit for a living) you need a PC of some description to download the images onto before you can burn them onto a CD

The Arcos that someone mentioned sounds like a good bet

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and at this rate will only have room in my luggage for half a bikini.....
yeah? and? so?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Depends where you are going. In Oz and NZ the photo shops have CD burners wher you can just download them or have them printed. I took my laptop and it was the best option for me as I take photos on Hi Res. Burn to disk and post home in case some bastard nicks the laptop.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phil Ennis @ April 06 2004,19:56)]Depends where you are going. In Oz and NZ the photo shops have CD burners wher you can just download them or have them printed. I took my laptop and it was the best option for me as I take photos on Hi Res. Burn to disk and post home in case some bastard nicks the laptop.

Cheers Phil - that'll do me nicely.

But will also look at a card reader as well.

Simon

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Here in Sweden you can get a portable hard drive and card reader. It weighs only about 200 grammes, costs under £200 and has a huge capacity (40 gb!!!). USB contact. Perfect for travelling and much cheaper than a couple of 1 gb memory cards. You must be able to get them in the UK too. The make is Kangaroo.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

ok....so i've thought about some of the suggestions posted here - and thanks to everyone who responded.  I've defo decided against the laptop - mine is too heavy and not too reliable.  

I'm going to the usual places - oz, nz, thailand, south pacific etc so writing to cd at a photoshop would work but not in remote places or a liveaboard.

This is the cd burner i was thinking about but was wondering if anyone had used one and what they thought of it?   It says you can copy data from your flash card - is that the same as a memory stick?  

Apacer

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Suzanne,  the Apacer is just what I was about to recommend.  It was reviewed recently alongside a range of other options in a PC mag (including the Arcos) and was the Editors Choice.

It looks very good.

Benfits of a laptop over anything else is that you can properly review your pictures and edit them as you go.  With any storage system, you'll just have to wait until you get home to really see what you've got.

I would def advise against using big capacity memory cards for storage - they can be corrupted and you wouldn't want that happening at the end of your hols with all your lovely pics on! And, as John mentioned, they can be really expensive.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suzanne @ April 06 2004,23:55)]This is the cd burner i was thinking about but was wondering if anyone had used one and what they thought of it?   It says you can copy data from your flash card - is that the same as a memory stick?  
There are several types of "flash" memory out there and they all require a different reader. The types most commonly seen are Memory Stick, Compact flash (type 2 and type 1), MultiMedia Card, SecureDigital, StartMedia and xD-Picture card. Making sure you have a 7 in 1 reader of a USB reader for the type of card your camera uses is vital  

I've been using large (1Gb+) flash media for almost 4 years not (yes, it did hurt to spend almost £1k on a 1Gb card four years ago!) and hve never had any data corruption and loss even in warm, humid locations such as the Maldives and Florida. Remember, you get what you pay for with flash RAM so the cheap stuff isn't as reliable. Portable hard drives are a cheaper alternative but they are heavier, require more power and more prone to mechanical faults (simply because they have moving parts) but they may well survive what you want to do with them. The question is if you want to put all your eggs in one basket.  

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

at this point i'm going to mention again that i'm a techno-bimbo

so i don't understand a word of what you've written... !

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suzanne @ April 07 2004,08:40)]at this point i'm going to mention again that i'm a techno-bimbo

so i don't understand a word of what you've written... !
Ok, there are lots of different types of storage card. Make sure you get the same one as your camera uses and an adapter to allow it to plug into a PC/laptop.

Beware of storing all your pictures/music/data on one device because if it goes wrong you will loose the lot.

Better?  

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

thank you Nick !  you were just trying to blind me with science there weren't you??!!!!

i was thinking with the cd burner i could save all my photos to cd and send them home for safe keeping.    

PS  I used my old kodak APS camera at the weekend to finish off an ancient film - when i switched it on it took me a few moments to realised there wasn't a viewing screen!! haha!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Suzanne
Fro the description of the cd burner, it states that it supports the following media types:

CF - Compact Flash Type I/II
SD - Secure Digital
MMC - MultiMedia Card
MS - Memory Stick
MS PRO - Memory Stick PRO
SM - SmartMedia

Might want to check what media your digicam uses, but that looks like it covers the most important types.  I'm no expert on anything digital, but it would appear (assuming it's not going to be too big and heavy to cart around for several thousand miles) it's ideal for what you need.
HTH
Martin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts