YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Morning all,

I was wondering recently about photo editing and I know a lot of you out there use a package or two so here goes:

Which one do you use, how much (rougly) did it cost and where did you get it from? Is it user friendly for a complete PC numpty like me and do you need a minimum resolution required?

I'll be using a scanner and 35mm film if that's any help.

Cheers all,

Noel

·
Registered
228 Posts
Imported post

I use Adobe Photoshop. It costs iro 500/600 squid, but you can get a cut-down version called Photoshop Elements for a lot less.

It's as user friendly as you want to make it really. By that I mean it's a gargantuan programme - as someone who's used it professionally for 7 odd years, I can say I probably only ever use 40% of its features - but if you only want to scratch the surface it's not too difficult. Plus there are bucketloads of great manuals out there. Photoshop "wow" books are good, as too is the "Photoshop Bible".

Download a demo (www.adobe.com), get a manual out of the library and have a bash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Imported post

As Dave says Photoshop is really the way to go. I think we're up to Photoshop CS / Photoshop 7 at the moment but in addition to Elements you could well get a previous full version (say 5) a lot cheaper. Perhaps try a Computer fair etc. The previous versions will do all you need.

If you need help explaining resolution e-mail me directly (I'm always explaining to clients how it all works and the rules for web / print / enlargements etc) It might be all a bit too dull for posting directly on a diving site!

Also - if you're scanning from 35mm remember that you're dealing with a very small original and it will quite quickly let you know how good your scanner is! (For those 'best' shots, unless you've got a dedicated 35mm film scanner it might be worth getting them professionally scanned prior to weaving your Photoshop magic on them!)

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

I use photoshop 5..
talk to your mates you should be able to get it for free!!!!
I also use infraveiw if I want to use a simple and easy program to set up files just big enough to post on YD
steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Imported post

Using photoshp for stuff like correcting under/overexposures is a peice of cake, but it can grow with you, and has the capacity to do pretty much anything you want to do within the remit of image manipulation/graphics software.

If you spend your time learning another package, and get seriously into digital imaging, you'll probably have to learn photoshop at some time in the future anyway!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.