YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

So, I have one iMac at home in England, with an iPhoto library of about 70GB. The iMac is only 500GB and has another user on it so we are down to 25GB free space.
Since I moved to Egypt in September, I have taken approximately 30GB of photo and video (RAW and some jpg). So already there's not enough space on my home computer to import all photos to iPhoto. In Egypt I have a [email protected] work laptop, on which I use Picasa for anything photo related, when I get a chance.
I upgraded my Dropbox to 100GB with the intention of using Camera Upload to import all my photos and store them on Dropbox. The problem is that the connection in Egypt is so bad that I always have about 20 days remaining to sync all my pictures with Dropbox online.
Today I Have obtained a 1TB hard drive to try to organise myself! But the question is - how?!
In an ideal world I'd have my English iPhoto library on the external HD to access in Egypt if I needed to refer to anything, but also have all my raw material in Egypt on the HD in case my work laptop dies.
Am I being too ambitious by backing everything up to Dorpbox - maybe I'd be better to just upload the best pictures and accept that one day the HD will die and I'll lose the rest of the raw material.

Argh! Does anyone have any suggestions?!!

Thanks,

Sarah

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Change the drive in the iMac? You can pick up a 2Tb drive for not a lot and use that as the master. Use something like Carbon Copy Clone to copy the 500Gb across. This is what I did when my MBP drive failed.

Regards

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would certainly help with the space issue at home. I may have to do that at some point. It's a shame you can't copy albums from iPhoto to the external hard drive so I could carry selected albums with me to Egypt.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
You can export those albums as .jpegs and reimport them when you get home.

You can also copy (AFAIK) the iPhoto album onto an external drive. Not sure if you can merge them though.

Regards

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
You can't point iPhoto at a remote drive, apparently. I was looking at doing this but iPhoto is not supposed to work like that. A pain really. My decision was to bin iPhoto (reluctantly) and have bought Lightroom instead.

·
Life is a journey not a destination ...
156 Posts
Stop, the first thing you need to do is to secure your photos in Egypt. I am assuming here that you have a good backup in the UK of the photos on your MAC. 20-days is a long time to hold your breath for an upload to work.

Buy yourself a simple RAID 1 NAS or 1394 hard drive unit and store all your photos you have taken in Egypt on that. Ideally have a copy outside your main residence to avoid problems with fire and theft.

When I download photos form my camera they go onto a desktop which has RAID 10 and auto to the cloud backup and also onto a Firewire connected RAID 1 disc system. That was I instantly have two copies and know they will be in the cloud ASAP.

Discs are cheap. Upgrade your disc int he UK and your backup disc system ASAP.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts