YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently doing my back ups of all my photos and videos. I thought I mention the following:

Back up the photos frequently. Backing up to another hard drive maybe easier but more prone to errors, therefore occasionally it is important to have a back up onto good quality long life DVD's. Keep these separately from your computer or house.

Don't leave it for another day. (And label well the DVD's as well!)

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another tip:

My best pictures are copied to another file - The Master Pictures - These I then clean them up with Lightroom or eventually Photoshop. I then have them printed into a book / prints on Photobox,

As for the videos I eventually will make short videos from them ,editing them into 10min slots or less and place them on Vimeo and/or save them on DVD. The trick there is to edit them because I found that if you don't edit the videos you never get around to watching them.

Currently I am working back on all the pictures & videos since 2002 and will take a long while before I have them on books or edited videos. It will be worth it - I hope!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Another tip:

My best pictures are copied to another file - The Master Pictures - These I then clean them up with Lightroom or eventually Photoshop. I then have them printed into a book / prints on Photobox,

As for the videos I eventually will make short videos from them ,editing them into 10min slots or less and place them on Vimeo and/or save them on DVD. The trick there is to edit them because I found that if you don't edit the videos you never get around to watching them.

Currently I am working back on all the pictures & videos since 2002 and will take a long while before I have them on books or edited videos. It will be worth it - I hope!
Thanks for the tips. I recently bought a portable hard drive to put my pics on, forgot they could be put on a disc. :embarasse

I've just finished with my trial Lightroom and thought it was brilliant. Looking forward to getting it when I can afford it. Would also like Photoshop and I'm considering the student version but I am unsure of the differences btw that and the full version.

Hear what you are saying about videos though.... :wink:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
make sure the format of the dvds is such that they can be read on any computer....
my computer recorded aload +they could only be seen on that computer.
+when i changed to thenext windows system :eek: they make excellent coasters +thats about it

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
I'm always a bit paranoid about data loss, especially with all the pics and music I seem to have collected over the years, so I use an apple time capsule which does automatic hourly (if the computer is on) backups of any changes. I also do a separate monthly backup of my pictures and music onto a networked RAID array, which is a collection of disks that shares your data between them, but in such a way that you don't lose any data if one of the drives in the array fails.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I've been paranoid about data loss every since I had two external hard drives die on me in the space of a couple of months, losing about 6 months worth of photos in the process! I was not a happy bunny...

I now hold all my photos on a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo with 2 x 500GB drives run in a RAID1 configuration (data is mirrored on both drives). In addition, I regularly stream a backup image of the ReadyNAS to an external hard drive that is stored in a remote location every time I leave home for more than a couple of days... works so far :)

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
i know a lot of people back photos and vids up on dvd but my question is what is the feasable shelf life of a normal dvd?

as im sure that there will be some kind of degradation in the disks coating!

which would people class as the safe option for data back up

dvd disk or massive storage devices?i.e ext hard drives 1tb and above like i use?

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know a lot of people back photos and vids up on dvd but my question is what is the feasable shelf life of a normal dvd?

dvd disk or massive storage devices?i.e ext hard drives 1tb and above like i use?
I understand that 'archive durable DVD' are one of the safest methods. Saying that as technology advances I re-save them to the newer technological methods. Although I'm saving them on DVD's I also back them up on a servers hard drive + on an external drive.

If I were to save them online which would be a recommended service? I am not sure if the photobuckets & photoboxes are suitable for this, at least for the long term.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

Hard disk is cheapest and IMO most durable if kept well (i.e. cool and dry)

DVD is limited in size, they degrade and formats change too often.

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
i use a online cloud based backup works quite well can leave my pc on about 1 night a week to do a backup and i can then access the information for any pc plus i know if problem do happen its up there in the cloud the only problem is the cost about £5 pm but worth the piece of mind,

plus on my laptop i use absolutes laptop tracker which if you laptop is stolen will let the police track when it goes online, i've used this a few time at work and we have managed to have a laptop recovered with it, it more about getting the data back than the laptop

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.