YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi
Looks like a good day out, really like the close up of the crab, thanks for posting
Best wishes
John

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nice shots. On another note how was the viz down there? We're heading up there this weekend and your photos look like it wasn't too bad - compared to eastbourne at least.

Cheers, Ant

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
some lovely pics Helen
and the nudi is not a nudi at all but a candy striped flatworm :D a really cute fella

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Which dive site was this? Skomer? Rye rocks? or somewhere totally different?

Vis has been fairly crap there the last month or so. Hoping it improves for this weekend.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Firstly many thanks for all your kind messages and greens :)
To try and answer some of your questions

Nice shots. On another note how was the viz down there? We're heading up there this weekend and your photos look like it wasn't too bad - compared to eastbourne at least.

Cheers, Ant
Viz wasnt amazing. Was prob between 1 and 3 ish metres depending whether you were over sand or kelp. There was a lot of plankton there and this was much worse over the kelp. Was an enjoyable dive though.

Nice photos Helen. Lovely nudi! Were you at Skomer?
Which dive site was this? Skomer? Rye rocks? or somewhere totally different?

Vis has been fairly crap there the last month or so. Hoping it improves for this weekend.
Was shore diving from Martins haven. We were lucky in that the ferry wasnt running and the boat taking trips out told us that he would be out between 2 and 5pm, so this enabled us to dive the west side of the bay where the boats normally are. This is where all of the photos are from. We did a brief dive on the east side earlier in the day and there wasnt as much to see and the viz seemed worse that side.

Superb shots from your Fuji F30 Helen, great quality and sharpness.
Did you use a strobe on them?
Thanks. No strobe yet. Have got a fujis own brand strobe but the strobe arm has broke and i need to find 5 minutes to arrange sending it back. These were all taken just with the internal flash.

Thanks again all for your kind comments
Helen :)

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Hi Helen,

You've taken some WONDERFUL pictures.

I have the F30 too and was diving at IOM over the weekend. I had the setting on Underwater and macro and got NOTHING like what you did. The macro doesn't use flash and unless my buddy held a torch on the object I got a very green picture.

At least I know that the camera is capable of good things, it's just the operator that needs some lessons.

He he he

Well Done Helen.

Lyv

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Helen,

You've taken some WONDERFUL pictures.

I have the F30 too and was diving at IOM over the weekend. I had the setting on Underwater and macro and got NOTHING like what you did. The macro doesn't use flash and unless my buddy held a torch on the object I got a very green picture.

At least I know that the camera is capable of good things, it's just the operator that needs some lessons.

He he he

Well Done Helen.

Lyv
Thanks Lyv,

I think you can use the flash in macro mode. Thats what i did on most of these photos. Was the flash turned on, if not if you keep pressing the flash button it comes round to forced flash and this will make it go off all the time. The only other thing that was different was I was not in underwater mode so maybe this turns the flash off?

Helen :)

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Hi, yes I had it in underwater mode and macro. No flash fired. Do you use auto and macro, or the flower setting, or manual with macro?

Sorry for the questions but my efforts were less than good.

Ta for your time

Lyv

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, yes I had it in underwater mode and macro. No flash fired. Do you use auto and macro, or the flower setting, or manual with macro?

Sorry for the questions but my efforts were less than good.

Ta for your time

Lyv

I think on this occasion I had in on auto with macro mode and then had the flash on either automatic or forced. I think the underwater mode might be more suited for blue water (though I'm not sure about this so dont hold me to it). Occasionally i use it in manual mode and let the camera do everything itself but i limit the iso to max 400.

HTH
Helen

·
Registered
588 Posts
fantastic photo's if thats what 3 meters viz looks like i guess well be ok for diving there in july cannot wait to be there with me camera

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I think on this occasion I had in on auto with macro mode and then had the flash on either automatic or forced. I think the underwater mode might be more suited for blue water (though I'm not sure about this so dont hold me to it).
HTH
Helen
All U/W cameras ive used with an undewater scene mode are optimised or expecting blue water so get rather confused in the UK green/brown.
Manual WB is the way forward.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Great picks, love the flat worm.

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 19 of 19 Posts