YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings nutters of all types,

i have read in yesterdays newspaper about a magic little pill that scientists are trying to come up with so that we wont have to do deco stops, basically from the article reads that the pill will break up and disperse the nitrogen from the blood so that the diver will never get the bends or narcs.

being still new but is this not a wee bit strange as i think that joe bloggs off the street will go buy some diving gear take the pill and hey ho instant diver just add water....am i being over cautious as we all know people who have bought kit and decided that they are divers because of this kit that they have ,if that is the case i can see standards dropping and more accidents goin up,

rant over but does anybody else think this is a bad idea

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>hallo crispy ,im glad to say this is not a wind up i got it from the metro newspaper and the daily record had it in on wednesday,s edition admitadely it wasnt a big story because noone died  and due to it being the record  newspaper it didnt contain sectarian violence...but honestly i am not pullin yer puddin it was true,i read it with my own eyes hope this may help

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Crisspy Fiver @ Mar. 26 2004,08:58)]Hi,

have you got a link to the article?

I guess you would have to have qualifications to buy the pill if it can actually be done.

Iv just check the date to make sure is not April 1st  

Jamie
Daily Record It doesn't give much information.

Personally I'd be very sceptical!!

·
'Actual Yorkshireman'
281 Posts
Imported post

There is meant to be an article about this pill in the new scientist, but haven't seen it yet

I also had to check it wasn't April 1st

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i've just been reading about this in new scientist....

it's a pill that releases nitric oxide - this makes the surfaces of the blood vessels more slippery, and removes microbubble nuclei.  after chamber dives (using animals) bubbles fell from 0.98 per cc of blood to 0.22 per cc.

it's apparently been published in the journal of physiology (v555 - p555, p637 & p825 if anyone fancies looking it up!)

it mentions that it wouldn't have any effect on bubbles forming in cartilage or tissues other than blood.

so there you go!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sweep @ Mar. 26 2004,19:37)]There is meant to be an article about this pill in the new scientist, but haven't seen it yet

I also had to check it wasn't April 1st
There you go
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994809

People are being seriously misled by second hand versions of this story.

Firstly there isn't a "magic pill",  these researchers have been using various chemicals to alter the levels of  nitric oxide (NO), a potent neurotransmitter,  in rats!

Secondly, NO has a wide range of biological effects; it was only discovered to be a neurotransmitter in 1990 so is still very much the subject of ongoing research.

Thirdly, before any such drug was licenced for use there would have to be years of trials and tests. More importantly, if such a drug was found to be safe and effective and received the appropriate licence (we're looking at at least ten years of work there) it still would only be there to reduce the risk of bubble formation and wouldn't alter the deco schedules you would need.

Finally, even if this came about in the future, a good basic level of fitness is still a stated pre-requsite (by all agencies) for avoiding DCI , so a decent workout will still be more advisable than pill-popping. It's worth mentioning that taking other drugs which alter levels of neurotransmitters (eg anti-depressants) is a contra-indication for diving.

Here's links to the actual research articles in case anyone is sufficiently interested to try to plough through them

Excercise & DCI

Short Version

Novel Approach

·
double agent
386 Posts
greebo said:
greetings nutters of all types,

i have read in yesterdays newspaper about a magic little pill that scientists are trying to come up with so that we wont have to do deco stops, basically from the article reads that the pill will break up and disperse the nitrogen from the blood so that the diver will never get the bends or narcs.

being still new but is this not a wee bit strange as i think that joe bloggs off the street will go buy some diving gear take the pill and hey ho instant diver just add water....am i being over cautious as we all know people who have bought kit and decided that they are divers because of this kit that they have ,if that is the case i can see standards dropping and more accidents goin up,

rant over but does anybody else think this is a bad idea
Hi
I read an interesting article recently about exercising 24 hours before a dive, apparently it makes the inside of the blood vessels slippery and therefore makes it harder for microbubbles to attach themselved to the blood vessel walls.

Also it was mentioned that a quick blast of an asthmatic inhaler (ventolin?) just before a dive had a very similar effect!!

Regards

W.C.D.

·
double agent
386 Posts
west coast diver said:
Hi
I read an interesting article recently about exercising 24 hours before a dive, apparently it makes the inside of the blood vessels slippery and therefore makes it harder for microbubbles to attach themselved to the blood vessel walls.

Also it was mentioned that a quick blast of an asthmatic inhaler (ventolin?) just before a dive had a very similar effect!!

Regards

W.C.D.

...Or maybe just washing your hair in jojoba and dancing with a voodoo high priestess (24 hours before the dive) would have similar benefits :>)

W.C.D.

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
west coast diver said:
...Or maybe just washing your hair in jojoba and dancing with a voodoo high priestess (24 hours before the dive) would have similar benefits :>)

W.C.D.
Surely the dancing with the voodoo high priestess has to be done naked? :D

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
and your face painted in woad.

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
dry suit diver said:
and your face painted in woad.
And singing in Dorothy styleeee

Follow the bubble free woad
Follow, follow, follow, follow

Reactions: Clare

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
NO - research by Dr L Ignarro

You don't need drugs to increase your body's production of nitric oxide (NO).

Increase consumption of 2 key amino acids, L-Arginine and L-Citrulline; the L-Arginine is used up to produce NO, and the L-Citrulline produces more L-Arginine. Research by Dr Louis Ignarro (spelling?), he won the Nobel proze for Medicine in 1998 for research of NO and prevention of heart disease as a main use of NO is that it signals the walls of circulatory system to relax/dilate.

Since NO is a short-lived molecule, he suggests supplementation with vitamins C and E (antioxidants). As it happens, the company I distribute for do a product that you take at night (when body's production of NO naturally declines) and it is formulated by Dr Ignarro himself, as he is on our board of scientists. My BP has dropped from 130/80 to 120/70 since I have been taking this, (my BP has been as high as 140/100, got a strong family history of heart disease, and diet only got it down so far) my legs no longer cramp up at end of dives and don't feel heavy during the day.

Saying that, I'm not going to be complacent about no-deco times, although it's nice to know another benefit of NO even if only theoretical!

If anybody wants to borrow Dr Ignarro's book (Say NO to Heart Disease) or want further information on this supplement, then PM me!

Safe Diving,
Lou

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.