YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My questions are, I have been looking at these suits and researching them on t'internet are they as good as they make out?
You seem to only be able to buy the "Polar" in the UK although American sites give the option of a better suit called the "Extreme". Can you get the "Extreme" in the UK and if so where?
If not would it be possible to import one from the US of A? Only down side is if don't fit you're buggered.
Do the size charts give accurate information as to how these suits fit?
Thanks in advance. Yes i have used Dry Suits, Yes i can fly one but i prefer the Semi i know most think me mad but it's what i prefer it does what it says on the tin and i never get annoyed at getting wet:teeth:
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I've not used one of these, but a friend has a polar.
He really likes his suit, but this weekend he really wished he had his old drysuit on.
He was frozen after one dive, so didn't do the second.
And this is an outside sort of guy who doesn't really feel the cold.
Better than a normal wetsuit/semi, but not as warm as a drysuit.
But I think it was the SI and being on the RIB that really tipped it for him, as he couldn't get warm after the dive (forgot to put his wind proof jacket on the RIB)...

But everyones differant...

:)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I've got a polar but i always dive in a drysuit in the UK and bought it to use in Aus (spring time) It was great to wear and works extremely well. It does get a bit heavy when its wet cos of the wooly lining but is a beautifully made suit. I went and tried one on at a dive shop up in London - just as well cos the first one was a little small round the neck and I had real trouble getting out of it. No idea what the place was but I got the name of it off the pinnacle site as one of their outlets in the UK. If I can find it I'll let you know. There is someone else on here who has one and used it a lot cos I asked their advice before I bought one. If you do an advanced search with pinnacle or polar and my name triplefin it may turn it up but it was about 2yrs ago I was asking

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
I liked what I'd read about the suit from it first being tried by john Bantin in "Diver" and as I was off to NewZealand earlier this year I thought that I'd pick one up there and save on the weight. I found out that they were made in Wellington, great that's where my sister is and where i'll be based I thought.

I sent an email to the factory and guess what they arfe at least £100 cheaper to buy in the UK. I questiond this and I was told to contact a dealer their for discount as the factory don't discount and undercut their dealers. Still to expensive so I took along my trusty ND CNX and as usual it never let me down. I wore it with thermals in cold water and with Tee shirt and shorts in warm water.

I do prefer diving wet but I must say being in a dry suit and dry on the boat after each dive made a big difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts