YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plasma TV (Hitachi 42PD6600) is playing up. The picture occasionally disappears for a few moments (something seems to reset itself internally) or the picture turns green. Also, settings are not remembered and it doesn't automatically recognize the Sky input and I manually have to change to the correct input channel.

Previous investigations have led me to the conclusion that I need a new 'computer board'.

I can dismantle a PC and have changed disk drives and memory chips andother boards (network/modems in the old days etc).

Is there any reason that I can not do the same for my TV? My initial concern is that to remove the back to have a look it looks like I have to remove the stand and I am wondering about the fragility of the screen. Can I lay it flat on the floor (carpeted) to do this?

Any hints/tips or dos/don'ts would be appreciated.

·
Platinum Member - I wish...
776 Posts
Er not really up to scratch on modern tv's but it used to be it wasn't recommended because there were big ass capacitors that could give you quite a nasty shock. Not sure if these are still used in LCDs and Plasmas.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
When I collected my plasma a few years ago, they stressed NEVER to have it lying flat, something to do with the fragility of the various layers of glass which make up the screen. I've seen this said quite often on AV Forums, so think it's probably true rather than urban myth.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts