YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Nothing like a relaxing weekend to help you unwind.

After only 4 hours sleep from coming off nightshift, yours truely had to get up, get sorted and drive himself and his lovely wife to Tralee Bay - our base for the weekend. A slight false start (getting lost in the caravan park and no heating in the lodge) and we're set for a weekend of fun - so on with the bevvies!

Next morning as dive plans are sorted, boats run down slipways and kit arranged, we motor on out to the Breda - or at least where we think the Breda is! After finding an optimistic looking bouy but only 28m of seabed on the sounder, everyone looks a little disappointed - until we realise the GPS is showing 500m to our marked waypoint. D'oh!

Skimming over the surface between two bouys we suddenly only get 18m - yipee! We found the right place. It's decided that myself and Brian go down first just to check we are in the right place, and if not head straight back up. So we get kitted up and drop in by the shotline with Brian leading the way.

It's at this point I really appreciate the diving I did in the Dominican Republic - here it's 12 degrees,nicely green and 3-4m viz. Nothing like a baptism of cold! It's also at this point I question the sanity of a 2am sesh as brekkie does it's best to assert it's presence - what is it with me and reverse peristalsis underwater? Fortunately everything settles down even if I feel like I've swallowed a hoard of Mexican jumping beans!

So we head on down, I'm all expectant of seeing my first wreck (well, larger than fishing boat size) yet I'm only greeted by a rubber tyre on a silty bottom - ####! It's at this point I take my eyes off the shotline and see the tyre is on a wheel, which is on an axle. I look at the computer which displays 16.9m - I know the bottom is at the 24m or so mark. Bugger me this is a big'um!

So we've arrived just over half-way down the Bread, near the stern. We soon find the starboard side handrail and head on up the ship. My first shock comes when a half-metre pollock swims across in front of me with a few smaller ones behind. Fish! There are fish in Scottish Waters! Did anyone else know about this?

We keep on going and cross one of the holds, complete with broken mask lying across. Before the dive, we agreed on no penetration due to the risk of silt-out and debris dropping on us - so a quick torchlight inspection and it's on up. Futher along we pass the accomodation block, or what's left of it. A few supports left stading with fish floating about in the middle but a swimthrough is avoided.

Now getting close to the bow we find remains of a whinch and a few girders strewn. We head round the bow (an awesome sight even with the restricted viz - in 10-15m this would be truely impressive) and back down the starboard side. The entire wreck is covered in soft corals and life. Parts of the deck have rusted through and show the innards of holds and the engine room. All too soon though we turn back for the bow and shotline up.

So after a brief ascent, a 44min dive is completed and I'm happy as a diver can be..... That's my only dive for the day, in the afternoon electing to "provide surface cover" by driving the club rib - I'm still waiting for the fuel bill, it'd be rude not to keep the 90HP engine warm..... ;)

The nerxt day dawns (after a 2am stint again - when will I learn?) and as I dash out to the car for my jumper (yesterday was a touch chilly for my delicate self) I'm greeted by a sharp frost and an ice covered car - things don't look too good... Well, the intrepid adventurers head off, back to the Breda. This time I'm in with Alison on a hunt for marvals to photograph. "we'll stay above the handrail and go slow" - hmmm we end up at 22m down the starboard side of the hull, admittedly the viz was 3-4m so we could still see the rail. Things look very murky below and does nothing to aid me in my quest to keep brekkie down (again!) but there are plenty of port holes (emphasis on the "holes" Mr. Crowbar Weilding diver!) for me to shine my torch through and spy the innards of the Breda with. We merrily pootle along, under one of the masts that has falled over and its underhanging garden of soft coral. A pair of divers sail past above us and we exchange polite signals (especially dafter they kicked up some silt) and we head up and over the deck. A quick dip into one of the concrete filled holds reveales a few pollock and wrass before we turn and head up the port side. At this point I find it rather amusing that next to 7,000 of ferrous, my buddy checks their compass to ascertain I'm going the right way!

So more photos are taken (I just don't see the interest in these spongey things) and I find an old window in (I think this was) part of the accomodation area and shine my torch in. Inside, effortlessly moving is one of the largest pollock I've ever seen, nearly a good metre long! (Erm, refraction might alter that though). At this point the cameras batteries fade and he head up over the deck. Just as I'm passing over one of the broken holds (decks badly rusted away here) I notice under a beam another pollock, slightly smaller. This poor individual has a fishing hook buried squarely into the top of it's head. It's a shame to see a creature tortured by this - I really want to grab it and get the hook out but realise it would be better to leave it be.

Well, we turn round the bow and bang on cue the shotline appears. We ascend up only stopping briefly to investigate a cyalume stick and a 3 minute stop - should have brought a slate for noughts and crosses - and we spy a few very small fish hiding in some algae on a knot in the line. And so ends a most pleasant, slow, relaxing, flashing dive.....

So what's all this about you losing the Breda then? I hear you cry. Well, I was just getting to that......

My third and final dive of the day is back to the Breda. This time we decide to go down the midships bouy. When we arrive, there are two other ribs, what looks like an ex-RLNI boat and a 40-foot liveaboard. Oh boy, this could be fun! Nevertheless, undeterred we kit up and head down. Pea soup comes to mind.... Viz is 1-2m and there were silt trails everywhere. We pressed on regardless, snapping pics galore until we come to I think the number 4 hold. As my buddy snaps away I investigate the port side. There the superstructure appears to have been blasted away (possibly by charges when the engine and prop were Salved) as the hull buckes outwards, the rivets have popped for a 2m section and there is a gap in the plating. We poke around here for a while but due to decreasing viz, head for the deckand intend to carry on foward. Now things get interesting. We must have been on top of one of the accomodation blocks as we head over the deck as with no sign on the handrail, everything drops out of sight. We are left floating around in 19m with absolutely no visual references - I motion to follow back the way we came to my buddy and we fin back. I can't see a #### thing. I'm not sure if the darkness I see it the shadow of the Breda or we're dropping. We're dropping. Bugger. How am I going to live down losing a 6941-ton steamer that doesn't move? Now it's not very easy for two people to maintain depth when their only visual reference is their buddy, who is also moving up/down. So I decide to call the dive - thanks but no thanks. As I'm setting up the bob we crash into the seabead at 24.1m - I'm almost tempted to swim to here I think the Breda is, along the bottom and carry on but the viz is that bad (plus the entanglement risk) I fire up the SMB where we are. Bugger, the pony reg gets caught up and I have a sphincter clenching moment and think about brekkie again. A quick exhale and the 1m rise is negated and we winch ourselves up......

All in all it was a top weekend. The final dive will not go down in the annals of history as the bost, but we deal with the silt out and still managed 27 minutes. Thanks to my buddies (who will no doubt add their own comments and photos when they register - hint hint) and Tralee for a top time.... When can we go again?

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Nice report Drift ... are you still going to TSAC tonight?

Fancy a post-match beer? I'm back in EDinburgh about 7.00pm

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Yup, down the pool tonight but not until later due to work. I'll be finishing at Grangemouth at 7pm, so home at 8, a quick bite and will be at the pool for 8:30 so won't be going in but can sort a beer for afters.

PS Have you seen the vid of you and me on the club website? Videos - I can't view them in work and I'm not bloody well downloading 6.5Meg on dialup!

I wonder if it's the one of you and I playing with rubber toys?

PS Glad to hear the show was fun

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

I didn't lose it as such.... I just momentarily lost my visual reference on it and then couldn't be bothered to find it again as the viz was crap...

Cheeky devil you Willo....

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Drift,

Call me when you get hame and we can sort out RV.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Good report Drift - the viz can be terrible on the Breeda.  I've dived her and got from one end to the other by touch.  Not funny.  I dived yesterday too - and caught my tea!  2 good dives.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Frog on 3:08 pm on Oct. 14, 2002
I've dived her and got from one end to the other by touch
<span =''>By touch - I wish!

Think Emms might have hasd something to say if I told her I groped my way around Breda....... :whack: followed by :flame:

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Ok here's a daft question and no, I'm not trolling here.

How far away from a wreck, esp one this big, do you have to be before the iron stops affecting your compass?  Would it have been possible to just follow your compass back to the wreck?  

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

I found compass degradation minimal along side the Breda but was not using a surface bearing to navigate underwater. Max degradation I'd guess would be 5 degrees and if I remeber correctly, the rate of magnetic influence will fall by a cubic amount. I'd need to look it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Imported post

"Local Magnetic Anomalies

Deflections may also be due to wrecks lying on the bottom in moderate depths, but investigations have proved that, while deflections of unpredictable amount may be expected when very close to such wrecks, it is unlikely that deflections in excess of 7° will be experienced, nor should the disturbance be felt beyond a distance of 250m.

Greater deflections may be experienced when in close quarters with a ship carrying a large cargo such as iron ore, which readily reacts to induced magnetism."

Courtesy of http://www.navis.gr/

If your buddy was looking for a gross indicator (ie 0 or 180 degrees) then the use of a compass close to the wreck was a reasonable course of action, if they had taken a reading on the surface.

BTW is the Breda in the Sound of Mull, I thought it was in Ardmucknish (?) Bay round the corner?

smallfry

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

Position: 56 28.55N; 05 25.00W

Yes, technically that is Ardmucknish Bay, but who the #### is likely to know where that is?

'scuse the gross navigation but I thought it would have made more sense to those less familiar with Oban, Tralee et al.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey His Driftness,

I say we put the Breda, along with the perenial favourite of Abbs, very firmly on the YD dive calendar for next year. Tha Landie's screaming for a proper run out (a la Wastwater) and she seems to be lying in the right neck of the woods.

Any takers??

·
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Which month next year?

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Forget next year what about the weekend after this one.

Me and Mrs Gavster will be tootling across to Oban ... any takers?

·
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Yes - one frog!  Steve W stuck a post on asking if anything was going on next weekend, which made me wonder, as nothing more had been seen re. weekend of 26th -/27th.  Are we any further forward re. numbers, accom and so on?  :froggy:

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I just wanna get final numbers then we can get booked.

The weather ain't great but we should be able to find sommat to do.

So far tho' - it's me, Fi and you. After initial interest the numbers have wained.

Any more chaps?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Love to, but won't be here. Enjoy it guys and look ofrward to the report when you get back.

Cheers and dive safe,

·
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Three?  Is that it?  Just three of us?  What happened to Tony & Ben?  WIMPS!!  Ahem.  Sorry folks.  Yes, Gav, please put me down for it, I will be happy to meet you and Fi.  I'll PM/e-mail you tomorrow/Monday with my dive details and chat to you more re. accommodation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts