YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
One Team One Dream
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the final stages of my rec trimix course nearly completed i was wondering

How many divers actually sit down and plan a Deco dive long hand then check using software
or do you just rely on the software.
including CNS & OTU as well as gas management

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts

How many divers actually sit down and plan a Deco dive long hand then check using software
I haven't done long hand since my Adv Nitrox & Deco Procedures course!

I would plan a new dive profile on software to ensure it "fits" with what I would expect from ratio deco.

For profiles that are similar to ones I've done before I just use ratio deco.

It seems to work.

HTH
Mal

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
My wife and I are doing a no deco dive tomorrow bottom is at 28M, she has been deeper in clear blue water but this is her deepest UK dive.

I have just told her not to rely on her computer and plan it long hand with two alternative plans....

It helps to do these things if it is outside your normal scope, as Mal says, if it is a familiar profile experience will tell you what to expect, conform it to be sure then dive it.

For anything new I would always do it long hand, it develops understanding...

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Honestly ??? I cannot remember the last time I planned a dive in advance either long hand or software , probably on my mod 3 which was 2-3 years ago . I know what run time & how bailout gas times I am happy with & just work to those via the computer on my wrist

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts

Plan dives?
What do you think I have computers on my wrists for?

My hypoxic course was based on the model of everybody having two computers 'because that's how you will dive' so bailing off the loop included switching both of them to OC on the right mix.
Then he signalled 'switch back'...

Reactions: Air Guzzler

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
I plan bailout i dont plan the dive ever.

Bailout plans are fixed so I only have to do this once for a depth incrimnet of say 45/50/55/60 and so on

If planing a dive id use software (Decoplanner) which is far more reliable than my brain.

ATB

Mark

·
Registered
496 Posts
I plan around bail out - generally use V Planner - I work on a maximum ascent time for the bail out I'm carrying for a particular depth range and use the computer to run the dive - that's what I bought it for...

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
How many divers actually sit down and plan a Deco dive long hand , CNS & OTU as well as gas management
you might just find this is a way of reinforcing what you should have been taught :)
why not ask the instructor too...

David

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
What do you mean long hand? Using paper tables? Never.

I use software for deco planning but I work out gas volumes by hand (well, with a calculator). I never look at CNS any more and I can't ever remember calculating OTU's.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Being as naive as I am, can I ask why?
A number of reasons. I don't particularly consider it a risk mainly. Keep your PO2 low on the bottom and reasonable on the deco and it becomes irrelevant for most dives. OTU's is an even less relevant risk. And I'm lazy as well :D

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I'm new to all this tech diving (did CCR mod 1 last summer) and planned to plan every dive. That fell apart on a red sea live aboard trip as there was not enough time post brief to go back and plan the dive.
Currently on CCR I've got the inspo computer and a gauge so I am planning dives so that I know the bail out. To simplify this I've cut a set of tables for no deco bail out (fine for the shallow stuff) and no deco on the loop so I've got an idea of the dives I can do. I've just got a VR3 so once I learn how to use it I'll probably just plan the bail out required for dives in 3m increments so I know I've got enough gas.

Mike

·
ccr_ada top DAC guru 001#Blackberry pin 283E29BB
2,217 Posts
whats a plan?........ ;o}
well i always plan for the odd hairy spider (cider) on the boat for after the dive as it helps with the deco

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
...so I am planning dives so that I know the bail out.
I have three bailout options: none, 7s, 12s
I have a set of tables fudged up to give me, no stop, 5 minutes of stops, breathe 'em dry times for depths.
That's all the planning I do.
How close I go to the magic max time number depends on how brave/interested in what I'm diving I feel on the day.

Reactions: James-S
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.