YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Please enlighten me?

2K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Mr T. 
#1 ·
Imported post

I keep reading about trolls and strokes on forums. Now I can normally figure things out for myself but this time I truly am stumped. I wish to know if I am either. What is a troll? What is a stroke? What would I rather be if there was a choice? Can I be something else as I don't think I really want to be a troll or a stroke?
I saw a thread last week in which everybody wanted to be a stroke, but no-one wanted to be a troll. Is this not going to drive trolls into extinction? Trolls are a Swedish creature that live under bridges. Does John Gulliver live under a bridge? Is he one of the worlds few remaining trolls?
In the world of food-chains the higher up the chain you go the less of that animal there is. Are trolls higher up than strokes? Do trolls eat strokes? What do both these animals look like?
Can they inter-breed so that you either get a stroll or a toke? I know which I'd prefer...............

Nothing beats a nice long walk.  

Please illuminate me!
Peter

See less See more
#3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ June 24 2003,22:28)]Does John Gulliver live under a bridge? Is he one of the worlds few remaining trolls?
No, I live in an ordinary house and I'm just an ordinary bloke – at least I THINK I am.

#4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ June 24 2003,21:55)]No, I live in an ordinary house and I'm just an ordinary bloke – at least I THINK I am.
<font color='#000F22'>Jeeeeez John we are not ORDINERY M8 We are divers.

Ordenery people would say: 'dont want to do that far to dangerous'

Divers arn't ordenery. We are one step away from astronauts and I doubt if there is any one of us who wouldent give our right arm to be an Astronaut.  

OK we pretend to have normal lives and normal jobs but our harts are planning the next big adventure, be that corel reef or 120 m wreck or our first trip to the Stangarth.

No M8 not ordenery at all

Mark Chase

#6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ June 24 2003,21:28)]I keep reading about trolls and strokes on forums. Now I can normally figure things out for myself but this time I truly am stumped. I wish to know if I am either. What is a troll? What is a stroke? What would I rather be if there was a choice? Can I be something else as I don't think I really want to be a troll or a stroke?
Thanks for asking, this one's had me stumped too but I just thought I was being a bit thick....  

#8 ·
Imported post

You obviously havent done the walk from the top carpark to the waters edge at Stoney, a stroll it is not, its a trek!

Hey Mark, how many one armed atronauts do you know,

But I think you are spot on, we aren't ordinary and most folks do as you mentioned when its suggested they go 100ft under water for 30mins after a 1 hr boat ride that took 3 hrs to get to at 3c in water at the same air temp. and might be called off at the last minute too.
I ask you whats odd about that?

Matt

#9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ June 24 2003,22:55)]Divers arn't ordenery. We are one step away from astronauts and I doubt if there is any one of us who wouldent give our right arm to be an Astronaut.  
<font color='#000080'>Give me innerspace to outerspace anyday.

I'm afraid of heights, not depths  

Daz

#11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>

Thank's but I don't think that thought will help...

Actually I really do not like heights but if I've got my kit on I'll risk it (Reqqa Point, Gozo - from the top,  Now that's a giant stride entry  

Daz

#16 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ June 25 2003,13:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ June 25 2003,13:15)]Reqqa Point, Gozo - from the top,  Now that's a giant stride entry  
It is, how did it go?

one thousand
two thousand
three thousand
check canopy
SPLASH

Adrian
Oh boy what a rush.  Very similar to how you describe it with a slightly modified giant stride entry.

Rule 1.  Don't look down before hitting the water.
Rule 2.  Make sure fins are held close to your body and not wearing them.
Rule 3.  Make sure some air is in the jacket.
Rule 4.  Make sure you are holding your mask and reg in place with one hand.
Rule 5.  Protect your nuts with the other hand

Other than that.

one thousand
two thousand
three thousand
..oh shit....

SPLASH

#17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LesleySS @ June 25 2003,13:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ June 25 2003,13:20)]Odd cos I hate heights too - is this common for divers?
Matt
I never experienced vertigo until I started diving!  What is that all about??!!
I am exactly the same Lesley. Before I started diving I was happy at height, be it at the top of a hill or at the top of a ladder. Now I get dizzy and start to lose my balance, so I make an effort to avoid them now. Even at jump entries I have a quick look down to check for depth or flotsam and jestam, then throw myself in ASAP before it all starts spinning.
 I wonder if it's a spacial awareness thing that your brain reconfigures to.
 Another thing I've noticed that as a by-product from jump entries, and I don't believe I'm going to say this as no doubt it will bring howls of derision and laughter from this mob is- Do you hurt your, well, bollocks when you hit the water? I do! I have came to the conclusion that it is impetus. My feet hit the water and slow my body down and my bollocks, err keep on going.
 Does anyone else suffer from this life threatening condition?

Peter

#18 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ June 25 2003,13:56)] Another thing I've noticed that as a by-product from jump entries, and I don't believe I'm going to say this as no doubt it will bring howls of derision and laughter from this mob is- Do you hurt your, well, bollocks when you hit the water?

I don't have any bollocks!!  Apparently, this is what happens when you are a girl!

You have my sympathy though...

#20 ·
Imported post

Daz

The other thing at Reqqa Point was trying not to fall down the well beside the entry point.

Doesn't it take a long time to come back to the surface after the entry?  

A couple of us did a similar entry to dive on the old Gozo ferry, which they sunk upside down.

Adrian

#21 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ June 25 2003,14:20)]Daz

The other thing at Reqqa Point was trying not to fall down the well beside the entry point.

Doesn't it take a long time to come back to the surface after the entry?  

A couple of us did a similar entry to dive on the old Gozo ferry, which they sunk upside down.

Adrian
<font color='#000080'>The Xlendi ?

Love it what a great dive.  What always gets me about this dive is the fact that they have a voluntary max depth of 30m (I think).  And how deep is the Xlendi ?

Oh well,  not sure what is most fun, the dive or the trip down to the cliff edge in the hire jeeps (Brakes, what brakes !)

Daz

#22 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ June 25 2003,14:39)]The Xlendi ?

Love it what a great dive.  What always gets me about this dive is the fact that they have a voluntary max depth of 30m (I think).  And how deep is the Xlendi ?

Oh well,  not sure what is most fun, the dive or the trip down to the cliff edge in the hire jeeps (Brakes, what brakes !)

Daz
Xlendi sounds right - did 42m.

We had a puncture on our jeep, and the jeep fell off the jack. Must have been all the gear.

Adrian

#23 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ June 25 2003,13:56)]My feet hit the water and slow my body down and my bollocks, err keep on going.
 Does anyone else suffer from this life threatening condition?

Peter
Peter, there is a nice jump entry at Barmore Island.  I was introduced to this site by a mate of mine.  The jump will not hurt your bolloxs, but you will be wearing your arse as a hat

#24 ·
Imported post

If you are doing high entry dives without a parachute and yo're confident of depth of water your going into and no flotsam and jetsom about...jump in fins over one another pointing down, no air in BC, deep breath before hitting water, hold mask and tezzers (testicles) and you'll be at 6-7m and going down quite nicely.

Keep your breath before hitting the water, but that does require looking down to see how long you have to go before you actually reach the water, in case either mask or reg is lost so you have a lungful to clear mask and find reg etc.

Not often you find yourself in that situation though so I wouldn't worry too much. Probably the best way, as daz said, fins off and air in bc then you can bob about a bit caressing your bruised nuts.

G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.