YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so frustrated! I have a few questions I hope someone can help me.....I am new with the sync cord stuff and I cant seem to get this thing to work.

1. Where and how do I attach the white plastic camera end of the FO cable? I know it goes in front of the flash but there are pieces of velcro with a hole, and some without a hole all with a sticky side. The white plastic piece already attached to FO has a hole where I can see the FO cable is exposed. If I stick that to another side of velcro wont that prevent that from working?

2. This strobe has 4 settings. OFF-low-high-ON. What am I supposed to use?
3. What should the flash settings be set to on the camera itself?
4. How do I adjust these settings if say the flash is too bright?
5. I have an old IKE ds 50 and a IKE TTL (grey) controller, would this work better? I have never used this I found it on the bottom of the ocean about 10 years ago.

I just need a simple setup--the simpler the better!

Thanks so mych for any help you can give me.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
If you run in the tech end of the dial rather than the icon end the flash only goes off once so you need to set it to ON. The low and high settings are for pre-flashes.
Turn it right down to just above min.
Dick about with the camera settings until it works then save to C mode so it's dead easy to switch to underwater.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean "tech end of the dial"? I have a pre flash camera from what I can tell. I am trying to setup the C mode so its easy..but I am struggling with the adj end of it all. There is a guide number dial, is this what you are referring to? The manual is HORRIBLE and gives no info at all...and then attaching this FO cord--it barely rests on the camera where the flash is and I am unsure how to mount the dang velcro.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok got it. It all looks complicated! I just want to click and shoot with good light and adjust the light if I have to. Im thinking its not going to be that easy. Like I said, I cant even figure out how to attach the FO cable to the housing at this point LOL. There is no room on this housing. I get that I need to have the strobe on "ON" because I am using C mode. Where in the flash settings (or on strobe) do I go to change the exposure if the flash is too harsh? I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Woz,
I think I have all that down. I think what is confusing me is the TTL versus the manual thing. The strobe has a knob on it that I have come to the conclusion might control the exposure-- I just cant find any documentation on that. I am also struggling with how to attach the fiber optic cable to my housing. No instructions with that either, although Fantasea had some posted but the velcro part (two have holes, two dont) has me scratching my head and once I stick it Im sure its stuck so I want to do it right. I will be doing more experimenting tonight. Again thanks for your help and patience.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
The Velcro goes on the housing over the area where the internal flash is. The cable then picks up the flash and triggers the strobe to flash. You will probably have to turn off the pre- flash, though, or this will trigger the strobe to early.

If it is over exposed, either use the camera settings to reduce the exposure, or use the strobe settings to reduce flash intensity, or move the strobe slightly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts