YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

HI everyone,
Hope I can have some input to the forum in the future.
Unfortunately I have had to give up my diving fairly recently (35-years of it) due to poor health and 'general old age', however I still keep in touch with my buddies and spend my time writing books, having written a Divers Guide to the Farnes and Holy Island and two volumes of Shipwrecks of the North East Coast. Due out from Tempus Publishing in November, is Volume-1 of Shipwrecks of the East Coast. This covers most wrecks (from 1766 to 1918) which are still to be found on the seabed from Robin Hood's Bay to Skegness and out to the Outer Dowsing. Volume-2 is out around Easter.
I have extensive knowledge of the Farne Islands, above and below water, having done 3500 dives around them over 30-years, so anyone needing any help with dive-sites just needs to shout and I'll try and advise.
I miss my diving, but everything has to come to an end some day, unfortunately.

Cheers shipwreckRon (Ron Young)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Welcome Ron, its really great to have someone with your wealth of experience on the board, I imagine you'll also be a source for good skippers to take a bunch of us out onto the Farnes sometime soon, I might be pestering you in the near future if thats ok.

When will your books be available? and do we get a YD member discount ;)

Best regards Ron
Dave.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ron,

It is indeed a pleasure to welcome one of diving's 'Old & Bold' to our midst - and a published author in the subject too.

This gives us the opportunity to pick your brains about some of the diving in the NE/Farnes area that YD will be doing next year, so thanks for your offer of help. I've never done the Farnes, but I gather it's a mecca for seals and wrecks. I'd love to dive with both - so yes, we'll be talking some time soon.

Do you know Ned Middleton?? He and I are in reasonably regular contact, he being another wreck-centric writer.

Any way, it's good to have you on board and I look forward with interest to reading your advice and posts.

Regards,

·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

Hi Dave & Bren

Thanks for the kind remarks. Unfortunately the Wreck books are out of my hands for discounts because they belong to the publisher, but you could get one from Tempus for free post & package. As far as my Farnes guide is concerned, I still have a number left, which members can have for a discount of £12 (including P & P) per copy by dropping me an e-mail with their details.
Yes I know Ned, but not personally. We correspond with each other on a regular basis.
Just let me know what you require about a Farnes trip and what you want to see, wrecks, reefs, scenery or seals etc?
Best thing would be to get a copy of my book because it gives details of 170 dive sites around every rock and island, plus the wrecks and seal etc, and has a star rated system for the best sites, including tides, depths, currents, marine life, crustaceans and everything else, but also includes dive sites where no one else ever goes because they are out of the way.

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ron

I'll take one of those Farnes Guides off you my friend, you can get my email simply by clicking on the email icon above this post.

I look forward to hearing from you Ron.

Best regards
Dave

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ron, welcome to YD, I bet your just full of the knowledge that we are looking for, I'm sure you and we will enjoy your time here on YD..

(Edited by Eddie at 3:57 pm on Oct. 20, 2002)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Welcome aboard shipmate!
Sorry to hear that you've had to hang up your fins,but as you say every good thing comes to an end.
I have both volumes of your NE shipwrecks, v good too, I'm sure the Yorkshire guys won't be disappointed with the East Coast volumes.
Just thought you might like to know that last years NE REDS scheme used your books, as well as a couple of others, as source material for the trips, and I think it might have generated a few purchases from other REDS participants too.
Regards
Steve W

·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Hi Steve W

Thanks for that. The new East Coast books have a lot more information in them than my last ones for the North East, thanks to the computer and Internet. They also give full details of all the U-boats mentioned in the books and a list of ships each one sunk. Unfortunately because of all the extra information, the price is up a couple of pounds too, but divers will find the extra price worthwhile, I think.

Cheers Ron

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Welcome.  A Tynesider myself, and visited Holy Island for the past 30 years, although I've never dived it.  The fisherman (at the time) had an avid dislike of divers.  Nice to have you with us.  

1 - 9 of 9 Posts