YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a trip report more of a thank you really, I would have tagged this onto the original thread but I don't think there was one for this trip. So....
Thanks again to Jason P for arranging another absolutely fantastic weekend of diving. Good to see some old faces and to meet a few new ones. I really enjoyed it.

The vis was great all weekend, we dived the following wrecks -
- PSS Totnes Castle [+1967]
- SS Persier [+1945]
- SS Skaala [+1917]
- HMT Elk (FY 4.24) [+1940]
I think of the four my favourite is SS Skaala, would certainly do that one again.

It was nice to see at least one suit flood; this seems to be a regular occurrence on Jason's trips of late. :)

The only downside to the whole weekend was the live music in the Borringdon Arms, this was especially painful if you were trying to sleep there :frown: Those thinking of booking there, suggest you ask about their 'entertainment' schedule before you book.

Jason has another 'up to 45Metres' trip booked out of Weymouth here - http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/for.../158683-weymouth-45m-august-bh-27th-29th.html

Reactions: Letz and copperband

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
It was a great trip with a good bunch on the boat - it was a pleasure to share the banter and a laugh.

I agree with Ray that the Skaala was my favorite dive, one that I'd really like to go back to and spend some time on. However I did like the Persia, the great vis made me realise how big the wreck actually is!

Many thanks to Jason for orgainising the trip and looking forwards to the August bank holiday on (see link on above post).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thanks Jason, cracking weekend. Well done on organising the flat seas and great viz. Agree the Skaala needs more time, lovely wreck.
Good to catch up and meet new faces.

·
my business is going under?
750 Posts
Totaly agree what a fantastic weekend, weather left a bit to be desired yesterday with the rain but a good group of people on the boat with flat seas

Razza is correct about the flooded suits? hope its not my turn next? Ray would you like me to sort the accomadation next time, lovely and quiet up the road

Skaala would certainly have my vote again.

lets not forget the skipper regarding the tides prediction, nice one Steve good to catch up good to be on Seeker again although he does have to re varnish the doorframe as Dan kept chipping it of with his head every time he went into the cabin lol

Thank you Jason for organising the trip good fun weekend

·
Winding up the precious since 2009
2,988 Posts
Thanks for having me, it was a great laugh, actually I had 2 suit floods!, once on the Persia (terminal) and again on the Skaala (where I HTFU and carried on the dive, rarrrr!).

I really want to do the Skaala again and the Persia for the 1st time!!!

So thanks to Dan, for inviting me and dealing with all my "kit" issues!, JasonP and Swampy for showing where a decent campsite is, putting up with me for a night and my space hogging on the bench, The Duck for buying me Dinner ;-), Steve for doing the floaty thing driving and everyone else for putting up with me!

·
my business is going under?
750 Posts
Thanks for having me, it was a great laugh, actually I had 2 suit floods!, once on the Persia (terminal) and again on the Skaala (where I HTFU and carried on the dive, rarrrr!).

I really want to do the Skaala again and the Persia for the 1st time!!!

So thanks to Dan, for inviting me and dealing with all my "kit" issues!, JasonP and Swampy for showing where a decent campsite is, putting up with me for a night and my space hogging on the bench, The Duck for buying me Dinner ;-), Steve for doing the floaty thing driving and everyone else for putting up with me!
Well you certainly kept the second one quiet? That means I dont have flood my suit now, the worrying thing is its all front entry zips up to now

·
2,988 Posts
Well you certainly kept the second one quiet? That means I dont have flood my suit now, the worrying thing is its all front entry zips up to now
The second was from my dry glove so a very slow one (although I was pretty wet by the end of the dive,hence using a "YD does Gozo" t-shirt and a decathlon fleece as my under-suit for the next dive, who needs this expensive FE stuff just put your drysuit over the clothes you drove their in!), but that glove was completely dry the next dive so god know what caused it.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Good to hear y'all had a great time :thumbsup: but it's the Persier :rolleyes:

The Skaala sounds great so please let me know if another trip gets organised for it.
I'm also fond of Seeker and I gather Wrighty's sorted the toilet. What's it like, does the door stay closed as you turn around now ?

Razza is correct about the flooded suits? hope its not my turn next? Ray would you like me to sort the accomadation next time, lovely and quiet up the road

Don't worry, Arctics still keep you warm and dry relatively quickly ;)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
....but it's the Persier
That's what I said! :rolleyes:

....I gather Wrighty's sorted the toilet. What's it like, does the door stay closed as you turn around now? ....
It's quite large, there is plenty of room. Door stayed closed ok :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I had a great weekend, but Persier might be my fave of the trip - the vis down there was stunning. If I had got to the stern of the Skaala rather than the bow and had seen the pattern anchor that might have sung it for me. I've still not worked out why my vr3 thinks I missed a deco stop. It's a shame the lump of coal I lifted is faded such that the stamp in it is not readable
I'm tempted to book on the top gun trip to do the Skaala again.
There was another suit flood kept quite (not me) - which was not a sea water flood. Also a couple of incidents of kitted up divers tied to the bench.
Cheers to Glos-Tech for the loan of a cell to rescue my diving. I'm a predicted 6 weeks of my new cell :-(
I've hopefully got some OK photos from the trip and my 6 week enforced break from diving might result in time for me to sort through them and post to flickr.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
That's what I said! :rolleyes:
I know but nobody paid attention to you ;)
It's quite large, there is plenty of room. Door stayed closed ok :)
Brilliant :thumbsup: It was tiny and very awkward before. Love the boat and the skipper but always had to fight the toilet door and needed to be a contortionist to turn around :D

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...There was another suit flood kept quite (not me) - which was not a sea water flood...
I missed that, on reflection I'm quite happy I did ;)

Hmmm one of my cells was reading a tad low on the second dive Sunday, I'm hoping a good drying sorts it. I ordered replacements a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully 4 weeks max then.

Reactions: Letz

·
Unusually Large Member
1,122 Posts
Just want to thank Jase for orgainising a great trip, and to Steve for being a top skip as usual.
Was a great weekend, and good to see some familiar faces as well as meet some new guys to boot.

God I miss Devon.
(Which is why I've booked another trip for end of June...:))

Dan

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Top Gun out of Salcombe August 19/20/21.
Mary & I are on it :)
I'm due my new rebreather cells in 6 weeks - if they come Keith and I will be on the trip too. I'm a bit nervous to book juts yet in case there is a problem getting my new cells.

·
2,988 Posts
I'm due my new rebreather cells in 6 weeks - if they come Keith and I will be on the trip too. I'm a bit nervous to book juts yet in case there is a problem getting my new cells.
You could always do it OC, it won't kill you (unlike......;-))

1 - 20 of 31 Posts