YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my dive buddy booked Seeker out of Plymouth to do some shallow dives for our club. As soon as we did our last dive, my mate booked it again for next year instead of just Saturday and Sunday it was going to be Friday to Monday diving plus do some deeper dives (less then 50m).

As the year went on the number of diver’s dropped and then got replaced. Unfortunately the new divers either had not dived too much or did not do accelerated deco. So it was decided to make the dives a bit shallow i.e. 40m so all divers could have a good run times.

After a long drive from London it was our first days diving. Because it was our first dive we decided to keep it simply and shallow. Woke up in the morning sun was out and the sea look great. But we were warned the vis could be bad due to the lat couple of week’s rain.

Friday 31-08-2012

Dive 1 - The Rosehill

We did this last year and I had a great dive so was happy to do it again. Once again we dropped on to the Boilers. Vis was ok but not good as last year. Quick look round and as I was leading the dive, I already had an idea were I wanted to go so we headed to the propeller and rudder had a look around that area then onto the gun. Then back to the boilers to bag off.

Dive 2 - James Egan Layne

Once again we did this last year. Dropped down the shot and then down the side of the wreck and a swim after a while, then indicated shall we go back up side of the wreck and dropped into the wreck middle of the wreck. Since last year a lot of the wreck has changed. Started swimming round and end back were the shot was but now under it.

Then head back along the wreck going in and out of areas. When the dive hit 40 minutes, we ended the dive. Got smb out (buddy one with bottle) fired the bottle and all I got was bubbles, whoops looks like bottle had came undone during dive. Since I had loads of gas and no deco time, decide to take bottle off and fire it like a normal smb worked fine.

Saturday morning weather was good sea was a bit rougher. Due to the vis on Friday the plan was original go more west. Some diver’s on a different boat headed east on Friday and had good vis so we decided to follow.

Saturday 01-09-2012

Dive 3 – Oregon

This was new wreck for all on board and a bit deeper. Dropped down the shot and found good vis stared leading dive. One of the plats had a bit of over hang so started looking under it, looked up and buddy was not near by. So headed back found him looking at some sort of fish.

Carried on dive as my computer beeped going into deco turned to look at my buddy and noticed he was getting he SMB ready like the dive before, whoops forgot to tell him that I did not minded going into a bit of deco today. Had a look at gauges had 170 bar thought about carrying on but then decided to keep gas for second dive and end it was well.

Dive 4 – Persier

This was recommended for YD members so I was looking forward to it. We were joined by my normal dive buddy and his camera to make a 3. All three jumped in as soon as we hit the bottom Vis was good again and normal buddy said he was going off on his own to take photos. Waved good bye and we found the boilers went through the middle of them two and found some other diver from a different boat.

Then found 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] member of team and carried on swimming as three. After a while buddy with out camera decided to end his dive. Waved him off and I caught up with other buddy. Since he was taking photos I thought I keep with him and reminded him of low gas when I got to 70 bar, couple of minutes later buddy turned round to end dive as well.

Sunday 02-09-2012

Dive 5 - Totnes castle

Another one recommended by YD plus even bit deeper. Because it was deeper this wreck was ok for diver with out stage to still do a full length of the wreck or majority of the wreck with out much deco so the whole boat was happy.

The weather had changed again and the sea was a bit rough so it was going to be a bumpy ride out. Due to a couple of member’s being ill, the dive buddies had to change. My normal buddy for the last couple of dives went with one of the other divers since he was buddy less and was not diving with a stage.

I went with my normal buddy and one of the other divers who were diving with a stage joined us to make a three. The other 2 teams stayed the same. We all dropped in and the vis was ok, if you stayed off the bottom. We started to swim round the wreck looking at various areas when I found one of the other buddy pairs sending up a SMB watched them send it up, turned round vis was gone and I was on my own.

Since I was happy, loads of gas and enjoy the dive I carried on back to the main section of the wreck. Noticed a star fish which had fingers same size as my hand. Started swimming long the main section of the wreck and found one of the other pair of divers swimming said hi and carried on.

Noticed some bubble coming from in side of the wreck, after dive found out it was third member of team he thought he could get through a whole which was a bit smaller then he thought it was. Carried on swimming and found my two original buddies quick hi then a couple of minutes later we ended the dive. We had 26 minutes of deco but with 80% that got knocked done to 14 odd minutes.

Since 2 members of the boat were leaving us we had to drop them off at Mount Batten. Due to low water we dropped them off at the taxi point. 2 members who were ill also got off. Leaving 7 divers, 2 more said they did not fancy going back out into the rough sea.

We could fight our way to dive the HMS Scylla but the vis would be very bad or go east and have big fight back in the sea and do a reef dive or a wreck but vis could not be confirmed. So we decided to end day’s diving and go for tea and scones.

Final Days diving Monday 03-09-2012

Dive 6 - Maine

Another dive I was looking forward to after a recommendation from here. Like the Persier, we were diving as a three. My mate was taking his camera. Once again we dropped in and vis was ok.

My buddy said that he was going to stay on top of the wreck and head to the bow. Buddy & I plan was a slow swim to the bows while going in and out of the wreck. Once we got to the bow we had a look around bow. We then headed to the stern, I did most of the dive inside while mate took photos and my other buddy was above me. When I got to the boilers I waited for my buddy to catch up while we looked round the boilers and carried on to the stern.

When we go to the bows, mate with camera popped over to look at the rudder and I had a look inside. My buddy asked about times and I said 5 more minutes to look at rudder etc then we go up. Quick look at rudder and my two buddies said lets go back to boilers, ok change of plan.

Nice slow swim to boilers and I said I am going up to save gas for second dive, buddy one joined me in ending dive, but buddy with camera wanted to carry on to the bow so we waved him off. With deco gas of 80% I had a nice 10minutes of deco.

Dive 7 – Persier

Since I enjoyed the dive I was happy to do it again. Buddy one was going to dive with his buddy from the Totnes castle and I was going to dive with my normal buddy since we was going to take in stages to do deco on stages but not accelerate. Reason I was going to use it was that I had to put my stage in for a test before the next dive, so it was going to be wasted any way. Kitted up and jumped in as soon as I hit the water I knew I had a problem I was getting wet.

Now I dive with a front loading suit so I could only blame me. Said to mate carry on dive and he was happy to dive solo. Got out and my feet was fall and I was wet in both legs. As soon as I got out of twins had a look and noticed zip was not fully closed and some of my under suit was stuck in the zip at the bottom.

4 great days diving plus 7 great dives. While coming back in mate asked about booking for next year like we did last year. Unfortunately Seeker will not be available so need to find a new boat. Since been back plans have already started for next year instead of one boat we might have two one for shallow dives i.e. max 30m and one for deeper dives i.e. max 50m

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Dive 4 – Persier

This was recommended for YD members so I was looking forward to it. We were joined by my normal dive buddy and his camera to make a 3. All three jumped in as soon as we hit the bottom Vis was good again and normal buddy said he was going off on his own to take photos. Waved good bye and we found the boilers went through the middle of them two and found some other diver from a different boat.

Then found 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] member of team and carried on swimming as three. After a while buddy with out camera decided to end his dive. Waved him off and I caught up with other buddy. Since he was taking photos I thought I keep with him and reminded him of low gas when I got to 70 bar, couple of minutes later buddy turned round to end dive as well.
I was one of the divers form the other boat, we were having great old time until a group came crashing through kicking up the viz and harassing the wildlife, I saw one of your group using a crab hook to try and entice a conger from her hole....

We canned our dive so thanks for that.... I noted it was Seeker when we surfaced...

Some of your group need to sort their life out... and their buoyancy, respect for other divers and respect for the wildlife...

·
Huntin' wabbits....
223 Posts
Last year my dive buddy booked Seeker out of Plymouth to do some shallow dives for our club. As soon as we did our last dive, my mate booked it again for next year instead of just Saturday and Sunday it was going to be Friday to Monday diving plus do some deeper dives (less then 50m).

As the year went on the number of diver’s dropped and then got replaced. Unfortunately the new divers either had not dived too much or did not do accelerated deco. So it was decided to make the dives a bit shallow i.e. 40m so all divers could have a good run times.

After a long drive from London it was our first days diving. Because it was our first dive we decided to keep it simply and shallow. Woke up in the morning sun was out and the sea look great. But we were warned the vis could be bad due to the lat couple of week’s rain.

Friday 31-08-2012

Dive 1 - The Rosehill

We did this last year and I had a great dive so was happy to do it again. Once again we dropped on to the Boilers. Vis was ok but not good as last year. Quick look round and as I was leading the dive, I already had an idea were I wanted to go so we headed to the propeller and rudder had a look around that area then onto the gun. Then back to the boilers to bag off.

Dive 2 - James Egan Layne

Once again we did this last year. Dropped down the shot and then down the side of the wreck and a swim after a while, then indicated shall we go back up side of the wreck and dropped into the wreck middle of the wreck. Since last year a lot of the wreck has changed. Started swimming round and end back were the shot was but now under it.

Then head back along the wreck going in and out of areas. When the dive hit 40 minutes, we ended the dive. Got smb out (buddy one with bottle) fired the bottle and all I got was bubbles, whoops looks like bottle had came undone during dive. Since I had loads of gas and no deco time, decide to take bottle off and fire it like a normal smb worked fine.

Saturday morning weather was good sea was a bit rougher. Due to the vis on Friday the plan was original go more west. Some diver’s on a different boat headed east on Friday and had good vis so we decided to follow.

Saturday 01-09-2012

Dive 3 – Oregon

This was new wreck for all on board and a bit deeper. Dropped down the shot and found good vis stared leading dive. One of the plats had a bit of over hang so started looking under it, looked up and buddy was not near by. So headed back found him looking at some sort of fish.

Carried on dive as my computer beeped going into deco turned to look at my buddy and noticed he was getting he SMB ready like the dive before, whoops forgot to tell him that I did not minded going into a bit of deco today. Had a look at gauges had 170 bar thought about carrying on but then decided to keep gas for second dive and end it was well.

Dive 4 – Persier

Sunday 02-09-2012

Dive 5 - Totnes castle

Another one recommended by YD plus even bit deeper. Because it was deeper this wreck was ok for diver with out stage to still do a full length of the wreck or majority of the wreck with out much deco so the whole boat was happy.

The weather had changed again and the sea was a bit rough so it was going to be a bumpy ride out. Due to a couple of member’s being ill, the dive buddies had to change. My normal buddy for the last couple of dives went with one of the other divers since he was buddy less and was not diving with a stage.

I went with my normal buddy and one of the other divers who were diving with a stage joined us to make a three. The other 2 teams stayed the same. We all dropped in and the vis was ok, if you stayed off the bottom. We started to swim round the wreck looking at various areas when I found one of the other buddy pairs sending up a SMB watched them send it up, turned round vis was gone and I was on my own.

Since I was happy, loads of gas and enjoy the dive I carried on back to the main section of the wreck. Noticed a star fish which had fingers same size as my hand. Started swimming long the main section of the wreck and found one of the other pair of divers swimming said hi and carried on.

Noticed some bubble coming from in side of the wreck, after dive found out it was third member of team he thought he could get through a whole which was a bit smaller then he thought it was. Carried on swimming and found my two original buddies quick hi then a couple of minutes later we ended the dive. We had 26 minutes of deco but with 80% that got knocked done to 14 odd minutes.

Since 2 members of the boat were leaving us we had to drop them off at Mount Batten. Due to low water we dropped them off at the taxi point. 2 members who were ill also got off. Leaving 7 divers, 2 more said they did not fancy going back out into the rough sea.

We could fight our way to dive the HMS Scylla but the vis would be very bad or go east and have big fight back in the sea and do a reef dive or a wreck but vis could not be confirmed. So we decided to end day’s diving and go for tea and scones.

Final Days diving Monday 03-09-2012

Dive 6 - Maine

Another dive I was looking forward to after a recommendation from here. Like the Persier, we were diving as a three. My mate was taking his camera. Once again we dropped in and vis was ok.

My buddy said that he was going to stay on top of the wreck and head to the bow. Buddy & I plan was a slow swim to the bows while going in and out of the wreck. Once we got to the bow we had a look around bow. We then headed to the stern, I did most of the dive inside while mate took photos and my other buddy was above me. When I got to the boilers I waited for my buddy to catch up while we looked round the boilers and carried on to the stern.

When we go to the bows, mate with camera popped over to look at the rudder and I had a look inside. My buddy asked about times and I said 5 more minutes to look at rudder etc then we go up. Quick look at rudder and my two buddies said lets go back to boilers, ok change of plan.

Nice slow swim to boilers and I said I am going up to save gas for second dive, buddy one joined me in ending dive, but buddy with camera wanted to carry on to the bow so we waved him off. With deco gas of 80% I had a nice 10minutes of deco.

Dive 7 – Persier

Since I enjoyed the dive I was happy to do it again. Buddy one was going to dive with his buddy from the Totnes castle and I was going to dive with my normal buddy since we was going to take in stages to do deco on stages but not accelerate. Reason I was going to use it was that I had to put my stage in for a test before the next dive, so it was going to be wasted any way. Kitted up and jumped in as soon as I hit the water I knew I had a problem I was getting wet.

Now I dive with a front loading suit so I could only blame me. Said to mate carry on dive and he was happy to dive solo. Got out and my feet was fall and I was wet in both legs. As soon as I got out of twins had a look and noticed zip was not fully closed and some of my under suit was stuck in the zip at the bottom.

4 great days diving plus 7 great dives. While coming back in mate asked about booking for next year like we did last year. Unfortunately Seeker will not be available so need to find a new boat. Since been back plans have already started for next year instead of one boat we might have two one for shallow dives i.e. max 30m and one for deeper dives i.e. max 50m
Jesus. Is this post a wind up??

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jon Lavin not sure what you mean is this a windup?

byethesea sorry if some one did kickup the vis I am sure they did not mean to. I can confirm it was not me or my 2 buddies trying to entice a conger out. I try to steer clear of them and leave them in peace.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
no there has actually been good conditions around plymouth of late.

. like the persier where my buddy was harassed (his words) by the seeker lot for "being alone" the must have missed me playing Shepard to BTS and him and im a sodding big thing to miss and my torch is a bit of a monster. where the muppet was actually prodding a conger which had been perfectly happy to have its picture taken 30 seconds before by my buddy no2.

here is a hint poking them wont make them swim around. it makes them hide away even more and given that i counted easily 30 congers around the boilers including some actually rather friendly and amiable ones attacking one really wasn't needed it was a case of OH CONGER i must show off to the people i am with.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
byethesea sorry if some one did kickup the vis I am sure they did not mean to.
I have no doubt there was no intention to kick up the viz, it was the conger prodding that pissed me off really, three divers, fins on the bottom kicking up silt and pink sea fans prodding a conger... I had top leave before I took the prodder and shoved it where the sun don't shine... Sorry to be a grumpy b'stard, my dive was for the sole purpose of photographing the conger it is a good trip report and I am glad you had a good time, your dive list is a south Devon wreck tour par excellence...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paul I agree with you about the congers, I also.do not understand why people try to touch them etc. I do not go near them. On Monday on the Maine we had one free swimming plus feeding while out.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have no doubt there was no intention to kick up the viz, it was the conger prodding that pissed me off really, three divers, fins on the bottom kicking up silt and pink sea fans prodding a conger... I had top leave before I took the prodder and shoved it where the sun don't shine... Sorry to be a grumpy b'stard, my dive was for the sole purpose of photographing the conger it is a good trip report and I am glad you had a good time, your dive list is a south Devon wreck tour par excellence...
BTS
always fancied taking a bit of fish, or meat offal to try and feed a conger. it would be great if you dont lose a finger! i understand they are really placid as long as you dont hack them off! have you ever tried this??

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Back when I used to dive with Stan, I fully intended to take a tin of pilchards down to the one at Firestone, give the open tin to Stan and get photos of the conger savaging his fingers.

Pity it never happened, would've made a great shot......

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Back when I used to dive with Stan, I fully intended to take a tin of pilchards down to the one at Firestone, give the open tin to Stan and get photos of the conger savaging his fingers.

Pity it never happened, would've made a great shot......
i am diving with Stan (AKA Margery) on Saturday, maybe i will try this for you ;)

·
16,005 Posts
i am diving with Stan (AKA Margery) on Saturday, maybe i will try this for you ;)
Excellent! Another one to try - if you find an Angler fish on top of a rock, get Stan to pose next to its huge, teeth-lined mouth, then pull its tail. Try to get his face framed in the jaws if you can.

I tried this with him when I found one on the Coronation, but he wouldn't get close enough to the mouth and I didn't have my wide-angle lens with me.

Reactions: MRKYMARK

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Excellent! Another one to try - if you find an Angler fish on top of a rock, get Stan to pose next to its huge, teeth-lined mouth, then pull its tail. Try to get his face framed in the jaws if you can.

I tried this with him when I found one on the Coronation, but he wouldn't get close enough to the mouth and I didn't have my wide-angle lens with me.
with his weeble style shape, it may of been an ask too far! ;)

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
BTS
always fancied taking a bit of fish, or meat offal to try and feed a conger. it would be great if you dont lose a finger! i understand they are really placid as long as you dont hack them off! have you ever tried this??
A tin of tuna in oil...oil is best as it carries the aroma, ring pull for ease, crack the tin, retreat to a safe distance....

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
cool, i will defo try this at the weekend, and will get Stan to be ready with the camera! (he wont try it himself as he is a girl) could be the first DAWIN award actually caught on film!!!
i have a chain mail glove, so may use this for extra safety

will let you know how it goes :D

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Good luck, just stay still and let them swim around you and beware loose bits of tuna near your neck, I have seen a guy get bit in the throat doing this when a chunk floated up under his chin.... It was only a scratch but I laughed...and laughed... and laughed a bit more ;)

·
16,005 Posts
off to shops now, tuna is on the list!!
Wish I could be there on Saturday to see you and Stan fighting off the congers :)

However, I shall be on my way to a week of sun, sand and ouzo in the blistering heat of Crete.

Take plenty of footage!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts