YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

The viz in the Sound this weekend was brill, the best i've ever seen. Saturday was better than today but still excellent. Not as many turned up as normal on a sunny Saturday but at least it meant we could park in the cafe car park without blocking it. A huge shoal of pouting followed us round the wall while an equally sized shoal of pollack swam over us. We checked on the squid eggs in the cave and then came up the wall looking for nudibranchs( 3 types on one dive, a record). One plaice on the muddy bit didn't get a look in as we tormentd a crab instead. What a cracking dive.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Just got back from the sound, Good viz is back (7m). Nudibranchs all over the place, polycera faeroensis, janolus cristatus, coryphella browni, flabellina pedata. That's not bad for one dive. Also saw dogfish, pouting, pollack, common starfish, painted top-shell, cowrie, spiny squat lobster, edible crab, spider crab, dead mens fingers, cup coral, burrowing anenome, jewel anenome, snakelocks anenome, tompot blennies and ballan wrasse, but apart from that it was quite dull.  

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Hi Doug, I dived Plymouth sound last time I was in the UK! I will be in Devon from the 7th 0f June for a week, so maybe we can get together for a dive!

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ April 21 2003,12:44)]polycera faeroensis, janolus cristatus, coryphella browni, flabellina pedata. That's not bad for one dive.
Wow, all that foreign crumpet diving in Plymouth.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Eddie. Of course. Give me a shout nearer the time, keeping in mind i would've forgotten about this by tomorrow.  

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Diving dude. I would rather look at
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]polycera faeroensis, janolus cristatus, coryphella browni, flabellina pedata. That's not bad for one dive. Also saw dogfish, pouting, pollack, common starfish, painted top-shell, cowrie, spiny squat lobster, edible crab, spider crab, dead mens fingers, cup coral, burrowing anenome, jewel anenome, snakelocks anenome, tompot blennies and ballan wrasse
than crumpet, it's a lot less bother.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Imported post

That Plymouth sounds great Doug i will have to dive it with you when i have time (AGAIN)
(I can back Doug up here as i was on the said dives and they were very good.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

We done (Simon, Headlice & i ) Devils point this afternoon and it was stunning.  Loads more nudibranchs, lobster, Big edible crabs, Spiny starfish and lots of wrasse.  We don't know how lucky we are to have such a lovely shore dive 5 minutes from our doorstep. You would have loved it as long as you weren't frightened by the fishing line, because i know what a scaredy cat you are.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

It's got to be Devils point. Phone long room (01752663225) to tell them how many are diving and estimated time.Go in an hour before high tide. jump off, go North ish, keep the wall on your right. 45 metres max. Ascend up the wall onto huge mussel bed for stops while swimming along to exit point. Phone long room to tell them your out. go home.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ascend up the wall onto huge mussel bed for stops while swimming along to exit point. Phone long room to tell them your out. go home.
. Keeping man made wall on your left. It might be worth reeling off from the steps if you haven't done it before.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

We went into the Sound this morning 03/05/03 and the viz was so bad that i lost my buddy as soon as our heads were under the water, my torch decided it wasn't playing so i switched to my back up, which because i lent it to my mate the other day wasn't going to last 20 minutes. I headed off towards the block at 32 metres expecting my mate to be somewhere near it, not a chance.  He bottled and went back in, knowing that i would carry on and see him in 40 minutes. Even though i couldn't see 1/2 a metre in front of me it was still an excellent dive.  I saw a few creatures and got wet, what more do you need ?.  I surfaced within a metre of the slip but i didn't see it until i was on the surface.  I hope nobody made an effort to get down here for a weekends diving.  

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Nope, not this time!  Itching to get down there though.  Don't know how long it takes to clear there, but it's at least 5 days to clear at this end.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>hi Mdemon

what part do you call your end?
need a vis update Dorset area.
Cheers
Bob

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Doug

Did you have a dip to-day Sun? If so can you give us a vis update.
Cheers
Bob

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Imported post

I went down to Firestone last night, nearly got kitted up when i remembered something vital which i should have thought about 2 hours previously.  Don't forget to take a full cylinder from the garage and put it in the van, so i watched everyone else go in and the i went home to sulk.  The surface viz looked better and going on past history that means it's ok from 12 metres down.  I'm going in at 08:15 today and will give you a viz report in 2 hours time.  Too late for anyone to get down here and dive.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Imported post

I'm back from the dive, and didn't die or bend. I'm getting better at this diving lark.  We done the wall at Millbay pit this morning just for a change.  The viz was about 3/4 metres until you got to the drop and then it improved to 6/8.  It was a lovely dive, we could hear all the RN frigates going over us but we went in after the ferry. We saw the usual assortment of creatures and a bonus pipefish.  We're doing Devils point tonight because we haven't been there for days.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts