• Don't care

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • No idea what you are talking about

Votes: 2 2.3%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Owner of the Frankinspo
947 Posts
I use PPO2 for Partial Pressure and FO2 for Fraction, keep things clear.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
i thought it was a shortened version of PPO2. bit difficult to really get them confused though, as PPO2 are likely to be very small numbers and percentages are pretty high numbers. If i said my mix was 1.3, you wouldn't think i'm diving a mix with only 1.3% O2 in it.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Well, reading the medical dictionary linky, it appears that PO2 is Partial Pressure of O2.

Its been a long time since I have done any of the working out (teaching DM physics) but I don't recall ever seeing it written as PO2, only ever as PPO2

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
As I just posted in the other thread, the BSAC terminology used in the Nitrox Workshop is PO2 for partial pressure, and FO2 for fraction of O2 (FO2 of Nitrox 36 would be 0.36). i.e. PO2 = FO2 x Absolute Pressure.

·
GUE Tech instructor
1,072 Posts
I spent a long time looking at this a while back to see if there was a standard or official SI nomenclature. It seems that pO2 and ppO2 are used interchangeably for partial pressure, with no real debate on whether one is right or not. I try to use one term consistently when working to avoid any potential confusion.

I have NEVER seen PO2 used to express the fraction or percentage, and would advise against doing so. FO2 is for the fraction.

Rich

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I've only ever seen PO2 taken to mean partial pressure. Proportion of O2 in a gas has always ever been FO2 or occasionally %O2 on instruments like analysers. AFAIK that's pretty much always been the standard format in technical diving that I can remember (since 1993). Exhibit A, a signed t-shirt from Dick Rutkowski from 1994 with both "FO2" and "PO2" on the logo. He more or less invented mainstream nitrox diving so I would think he'd know.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
PO2 means PPO2 but with the added subtext that you don't know what your talking about so you can be safely ignored.

Alternatively maybe you're really clever but just can't tpye.

PS: in solution and in a tissue it is no longer a 'partial pressure' but a 'tension'. HTH

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Think the BSAC manuals used to say PPO2 but changed this to PO2 a few years ago.

I could have a look and check but its too trivial to bother with ;)

Reactions: dynarob

·
TTFN
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PO2 means PPO2 but with the added subtext that you don't know what your talking about so you can be safely ignored.

Alternatively maybe you're really clever but just can't tpye.
Who says which is right? Rich Walker says he can't find any standard. A quick straw poll of several (mostly respected) diving books/web sites* this morning reveals that PO2 is used more commonly than PPO2.

How worried should we be for the 6 people (so far) who think it means percentage of oxygen.

*RBW
Tom Mounts Tech Diving Encyclopedia
Understanding Rebreathers
DIR - The Fundamentals of Better Diving
Deco for Divers
Deep Diving
Tech Diving from the Bottom Up
TDI Nitrox thru Trimix
IANTD Nitrox thru Trimix
DAN Dive Medical FAQ

·
Always did like HP sauce.....
736 Posts

·
Team HPDW Cake Queen.
3,550 Posts
Who says which is right? Rich Walker says he can't find any standard. A quick straw poll of several (mostly respected) diving books/web sites* this morning reveals that PO2 is used more commonly than PPO2.

How worried should we be for the 6 people (so far) who think it means percentage of oxygen.
Just make sure you use PO2 to mean partial pressure not % of oxygen or that bereaver will be living up to its nickname ! :frown::kiss2:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
probably not relevant, just for fun. partial pressure of oxygen abbreviated to PaO2 or PO2 is often used in medicine/physiology to describe oxygen dissolved in a fluid (i.e. blood).

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Hmmm - I do find it mildly amusing to have a poll to prove me wrong - I've been in Congress House this morning, and found this much more interesting than Fit Notes :D

I've been looking in all the diving books i have, and notice one thing that is common in every formula that is produced. No matter what symbols are used within the formula, there is a little code at the end of it.

P, I have noticed is used to denote, in various different formulae, Pressure at ambient, Pressure in BAR/ata, Partial pressure, Absolute pressure and a whole host of others. Never percentage. So - I seem to be wrong. I will tell myself off, punish myself severly and stand in the corner :) The OP seemed particularly concerned that I might be actually teaching it wrongly. To be honest - when i teach this stuff, I have the formulae written down, and the little key's with it, so I don't think i have ever taught that, as it wouldn't be that way in the materials the students have.

However, In normal circumstances, if I am referring to Partial Pressure of Oxygen, then it is always, for me, PPO2.

So - the poll is wrong :D

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
I spent a long time looking at this a while back to see if there was a standard or official SI nomenclature. It seems that pO2 and ppO2 are used interchangeably for partial pressure, with no real debate on whether one is right or not. I try to use one term consistently when working to avoid any potential confusion.

I have NEVER seen PO2 used to express the fraction or percentage, and would advise against doing so. FO2 is for the fraction.

Rich
What he said.

I have seen PO2 and PPO2 used interchangeably to mean partial pressure of O2 but don't remember ever having seen it used to mean percentage of O2.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts