YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working through a set of night shifts so only just turned on the TV to see that a police officer has been shot dead in Shropshire. Seems he was attending a domestic incident - the sort we all go to every day of the week.

A second person is also dead - not sure whether murdered by the same person who killed the officer or is the killer having committed suicide - so because of that the Witch Finders General (sorry, the Independant Police Complaints Commission) have already announced an enquiry. Christ - the officer's body isn't even cold yet!

:angry:

It's a small force - I imagine it will hit friends, colleagues and family (essentially all the same rolled into one) very hard.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Mark, don't worry mate. He was a colleague of mine on West Mercias ARV (the role I currently perform). I was on duty when it happened and even tho it was on another BCU we were listening live to it via Airwave. The full story will come out soon. He has nothing to answer to. He was protecting lives, as we all would do.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Very,Very sad and sobering, As you say we do it day in day out without a second thought.
Heart felt condolences and deepest sympathy to all involved especially family and friends.

·
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, there's no need for me to say how sorry I feel for you, your colleagues and the brave officer's family - I'm sure you know. The news had not said it was an AFO and that just brings it still closer to home.

There are no words adequate.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Steve, there's no need for me to say how sorry I feel for you, your colleagues and the brave officer's family - I'm sure you know. The news had not said it was an AFO and that just brings it still closer to home.

There are no words adequate.
Thanks Mark. I really feel for his family and his partner who remained so professional and focussed despite having just seen his mate killed.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I heard about this when I got up this morning.

My sympathies are with the Officers family of course.

Just another reminder of what members of the Police Forces around the country face on day to day basis. This time at what must have seemed like a routine domestic shout no doubt.

You all have my utmost admiration, just a crying shame some of you have face death in order to protect the rest of us.

Thank you for what you do for us.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Whilst I am sure most of us happy to have a verbal with mark over certain views he holds I am also very sure all of us wish this sort of thing just didnt happen to our police force, it may be part of the job, but it shouldnt be.
Sincere condolences to all of those involved.

I have a lad that is part of our family, he's also a serving policeman, we worry everyday whenn we hear news like this.

Matt

·
Registered
356 Posts
Very sad.

Mark , sad news indeed.

I think you'll find the independent enquiry thing is mandatory, and it's probably a good thing they get started as soon as possible. Wouldn't say much about an investigation if they didn't start at the first opportunity, the longer an investigation is left unstarted the harder it must be.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
i would like to echo my great sorrow to see yet another one of our finest

sercoming to the violence that manifests itself within our society,

ive no dought that the officers family, friends, and collegues will be feeling such

loss for many days, weeks, and months to come.

best wishes leigh

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
My thoughts and commiserations are with the officers family, friends and collegues.

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Would also like to add my condolensces to the officer's family and colleagues.

As Mark said in his OP, this appears to have been a low level domestic incident that officers deal with every day.

My thanks to those that risk their lives, without being given a lot of credit.

Cheers guys!

·
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And here we go again. The fifth police officer murdered whilst on duty since 2003.

Thoughts and condolences to family, friends and colleagues of PC Jonathan Henry.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Very sad, It time to Arm the peelers full time now so they have chance!
It will never happen ! Believe it or not, even "armed response" like me are not permanently armed. It might upset the public apparently and the "risk assessment" doesn't call for it.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
And here we go again. The fifth police officer murdered whilst on duty since 2003.

Thoughts and condolences to family, friends and colleagues of PC Jonathan Henry.
This is where i cop the reds, but we passed 150 soldiers killed in Iraq the other week, however as we all know it is sad and there family will have a hard time, but you took on the risks when you signed the paperwork just as i did when i was in and everyone else does in these difficult jobs.

As long troubles continue both in domestic and foreign this will always be apart of our life. But you could always take up another career

Graham

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
I have allot of good mates in the police force and 80% think it would be a bad idea

Graham

·
Team Starburst
865 Posts
JamesW said:
It will never happen ! Believe it or not, even "armed response" like me are not permanently armed. It might upset the public apparently and the "risk assessment" doesn't call for it.
In Devon & Cornwall they have an overt thigh holstered Gloc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts