YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>When I head off on my trip, which is posted in surface interval, I intend to take my Pony. I am just wondering whether they will accept the UK test and fill it for me. For those who may not have read the thread, I am going to Cook Islands, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia and then Thailand.

If anyone has any knowledge or experience of travelling with a Pony, ( No beastiality replies please ) I would like to know,
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Phil

Before I knew any better ;-) I took a pony bottle to Malaysia, Cuba and to the Red Sea a few times.  I never had a problem getting it filled.  These days though, you might have some trouble at check-in, although if you declare it you should be OK.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks Bob,
The travel agents are checking with the airlines to see what the requirements are, I am hoping it will just be that it must be empty with the valve left open, just a case of waiting to see what they say.
Obviously with current events they will have to be 100% sure that it is not a bomb, someone mentioned that the pillar valve may have to be removed to allow them to inspect it.
If I can travel with it then it is a bit pointless if I cant get it filled because they dont recognise the test marks, but hopefully with a bit of talk I should be able to convince them that the UK test is as good as thiers if not better.

In that order.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I took my 3ltr to Gozo no problem back in Oct I think. I will be taking it to Egypt on the 23rdMarch and will let you know how I got on.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Phil,

If memory serves, be prepared to unscrew the valve and have the inside inspected (you've wisely got your travel agent to go and check that the airline(s) you're booked on will accept its carriage beforehand) at the airport by both check-in and security/ground staff.

Needless to say, it's travelling in the gargo-hold and not in 1st-class with your good self.

Get it in writing from the airline(s) (email or letter) that you're good-to-go with its transportation on each sector of your flight - i.e. where you might 'inter-line' between carriers/airlines for different legs of your trip.

Take a DIN to A-clamp adaptor with you - just in case some joint in the BFE's looks at your DIN sideways when attempting to fill it.

Some of the joints you'll be visiting (the Boonies) will only have either a 16-seat Fockker or similar to take you from a larger airport to your destination, so be prepared to haggle, whine, simper, fawn etc. for them to take it gratis, or at least not roger-you-rotten for excess weight charges, as these aircraft do not have a massive hold.

And remember, if all else fails, simply stand there in the middle of the check-in concorse and exclaim very loudly (whilst waving your passport at any officialdom-wallah) "My good man, I am a Bristish Subject !"

It won't get you or your kit on the flight, but it will be 'kin funny.......

Good luck mate. I if I think of anything else, I'll give you a shout.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks Bren,
I will remember the 'Im a british citizen' bit and make sure I never use it

It will be interesting travelling with the pony, hope I dont end up regretting it

When I find reliable internet I will let you all know how it is going

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phil Ennis @ Mar. 05 2003,23:06)]Thanks Bren,
I will remember the 'Im a british citizen' bit and make sure I never use it

It will be interesting travelling with the pony, hope I dont end up regretting it

When I find reliable internet I will let you all know how it is going
hi Phil, Australian LDS wont fill a pony if it doesnt have a burst disk fitting, and AS stamp.

picky little buggers down here.....

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Strictly speaking, a cylinder can only be filled if it has the correct marking for that country - so a filling station would have every right to say your pony is not in test by their standards.

Something you COULD consider: You can order a decanting whip from Kent Diving for £55 (I bought one yesterday) and if they do get snotty about filling the thing themselves, whack in air from your main cylinder. Since the first dive or two tend to be shallow check-out dives, you won't miss the air.

A quick calculation says that an empty pony filled from a 12L @ 232 bar will give you 185 bar in both - not too bad.

If you then top up the pony again from a full 12 before the second dive, it'll go up to 222 bar - which is full enough for me!

Just an idea..

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks Yorkie and Dom,
I will give the decanting whip some thought, it sounds like a bl**dy good idea, that way its me thats filling and I am happy about the safety.

Its a bit pointless taking it if I cant get it filled.

Keep them coming

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

you always do make me giggle Phil...

this ones gotta be the best...how dare you call Lucy a pony?

As for getting a fill, surely this is down to her?

Eh lad ye made me afternoon. cheers.

And what's this about a whip? Ben will go spare.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello JP,
Back two bl**dy minutes and you have lowered the tone  

Have decided not to take the Pony...
 after asking these good folk for thier advice I have decided it will be more hassle than it will be worth.

My plan now is to take a stage sling and use one of thier cylinders wherever I am for the deeper stuff and just avoid diving with Muppets  

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

avoid muppets??  Is that possible?

you can always count on me mate to get the wrong end of the stick and waggle it about.

See you tomorrow...early start, Tara has to get back to watch the rugby and get drunk...women eh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts