YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Looking to get myself a pony setup and ive noticed a deal on go-dive for a 3 ltr pony and Cressi XS2-2 reg. for £149.  Seems pretty good.  But is this a worthy reg. for the job?! Am i better off getting the cylinder separately and investing some more money in a better reg. set?!  

Cheers
Steve

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I don't normally speak poorly of any regs having dived or played around with many different types.

However,  Cressi regs, especially the XS range are IMHO crap.

I used to have to strip my wife's 2nd stage apart after every other dive as it would start free flowing etc..  The replacement one she had was the same.  

In the end, we replace her regs with Sherwood and now she uses Oceanic.  Both have been a lot less trouble and more reliable.

Go for a pony setup but pay a bit more for a reasonable reg, you don't have to pay a fortune.  I would recommend a cold water rated one.

Apeks TX40, Oceanic Alpha 7 etc.

HTH
Daz

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I've used Cressi regs a few times in rental / club settings, and hated them. I found it was like breathing through treacle. (and my main point of comparison here is scubapro mk2/r190 which isn't a particularly high performace reg).

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I'm guessing this is the Go-Dive setup. Don't bother with it. The reg's useless. Used them in blue water and swapped it for an aqualung calypso at the earliest available opportunity.

I'd spend the extra £50 and get it with an Apeks TX40. Much better reg, much better suited to UK diving, and generally a piece of kit you can rely on.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I'll do you a 3l, MK2 and R190 second hand for less than that. PM me if you're interested. New test on the tank, I can do you buddy pony bands (much much better than those useless bags) or get a sidemount kit for it no probs.

Let me know.

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>When I say less than that, I mean significantly less than that. I just read my post, and it looks like I'm just price matching a new one!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Well thats kinda unanimous, cheers guys and ill check out those links as well. Thanks for the offer Digs, PM sent.

Steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
SteveC said:
Looking to get myself a pony setup and I've noticed a deal on Go-dive for a 3 ltr pony and Cressi XS2-2 reg. for £149.

Seems pretty good. But is this a worthy reg. for the job?! Am i better off getting the cylinder separately and investing some more money in a better reg. set?!

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

I know you've answer this question a while back now - but you raise an interesting question on kit in general.

Whilst ALL regs and cylinders are 'commodity' items, you have to bear that against the fact that all retailers just wanna do is 'shift tin' (i.e. product) - therefore any combos or package deals you might see are not necessarily 'best in class': they are 'priced to move' (i.e. be sold quickly).

My advice would be to buy the 'best'/most appropriate individual products which your wallet will allow.

I've a working theory on the old adage 'buy cheap, buy twice' - and it has stood me good stead for years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts