YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

All my training has been PADI which advocates the Octopus route - 'have an octopus and learn how to deploy it should your buddy be in trouble'

Until recently, I never questioned this UNTIL I thought - in the UK, what is probably the major cause of underwater problems? - FREEFLOWS

In cold water, why do freeflows tend to occur? Normally it is because your gas is being drawn through your 1st stage too quickly. Why?

Either:

1. Your are breathing off your own 2nd stage AND inflating your dry suit at the same time OR
2. You AND a buddy are breathing off your 2nd stage and Octo

Either result - your 1st stage goes into freeflow and you (& buddy) are in trouble

(BTW - This HAS happened to me with a non-environmentally sealed 1st stage - no names!!)

As a result, I am in the process of pricing a new 7l pony and Apeks TX50 O2 clean reg & 1st stage for absolute redundancy.

What are your thoughts / experiences?

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Alright go for a pony, but why not just get a twin set and be done with it?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Having noted just how quickly a full cylinder is emptied with a free flow i likewise opted for a pony setup.
Agree if your doing deeper stuff on a regular basis twin sets the way to go. a bit pricey though at the moment, a doesnt make you Mr popular on a rib LOL

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

7 litre 'bail-out' cylinder and TX40 reg ordered - should have in time for St Abbs (whohoa!!). Got the cylinder already O2 cleaned, with straps and with a EAN40% fill for £100 (second hand but well looked after) - not bad I thought! (Hehe - glad my instructor has just bought a rebreather and is selling his old kit!)

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Parahandy.  Ahh but if you use something versatile like a tekwing you can easily go from twins to single and pony for on the RIB popularity.  Personally I shall continue with my twin 18's on the RIB and #### you all!!!!!!!(sic)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Andy take this point, us Lancashire wimps need to build ourselves up for the Twinset, either that or i must get a better surgical truss LOL

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Cut throat Jake on 10:37 pm on Dec. 7, 2001
You must be a mighty big guy to use twin 18's?
<span =''>
Hehe - thats nothing. You ought to see Andy when he has 2 7l deco bottles side slung as well as his twin 18's!! No wonder he's only 3'6" !!

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Ha Ha  I might only be 3'6" but when you put wheels on the bottom of your 18's that s no problem at all!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

With regards to the Topic .. Stay away from Octopuses, I had a fight when one got on my head and when I went to get it off it refused profusely, bit me with its extremely sharp beak, tore my reg out from my mouth and even tried to take off with my mask - to say I was shocked was an understatement !! they are the arnie scwarzeneggers of the deep !!

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from divedog on 4:02 am on Dec. 9, 2001
With regards to the Topic .. Stay away from Octopuses, I had a fight when one got on my head
<span =''>
Looking at your photo, I think its still there mate!! :biggrin:

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Cut throat Jake - is that really you?

Back to equipment, I have gone for the ultimate (I think...hope) in redundancy.  Twin 12's with all DIN fittings.  Overkill?  Perhaps, but in my proffession we are taught that what you have in the way of gear, take.  Better to have it unneeded on your back than stuck in the boot of the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Imported post

Of course it's me trooper. Do you like the little site I knocked up for you?
When you going to put my avatar on?
I don't like being called newbie.
Twin 12's if you can carry them are ideal for redundancy if you have independant 1stages and a good coldwater reg.
For example if you were diving with twin independant regs of the same make and type/model, when it decides it wants to kill you and bleed your gas of at 50m. Swapping to back up reg will in all probs do the same thing. Same reg same specs, same cold water limits.
You will probably be nicking my Posiden for the trip so that should not be a problem.
It's worth considering though as some might twin poor cold water capable regs! What manafactures say and how they perform are two different things.
Wish I could be with you but as you know I am busy this week. Would like to go to Oban soon or Filey in the Flying Dustbin? I would realy like to find out if there are plenty of rasor fish off shore.  Tata for now.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from divedog on 10:45 pm on Dec. 9, 2001
Ouch .. that hurt ! .. dont ever ask me for assistance when your drowning mate !!
<span =''>
No problem - I'll just grab your octopus! (hehe)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Check this out all ..Navey Inverted twinset - pretty hardcore  I think the protection plate is an excellent design ... have contacted the shop but they dont do a similar one... anyone know wear I might be able to get one.

LINK

1 - 20 of 48 Posts