YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Finally I've gone and done it.

I've bought a pony set-up from Go-dive at their show prices - they'd sold out at the show (ok it was the one bargain I did see that I wanted).

I'm waiting for delivery then I'll be out fixing it up, discovering all the various config options, trying it out and then, and then, hopefully NEVER USING IT!

How the #### will I justify that to Mrs TimIng?  Suggesting that it may save my life may very well not swing it.  It may even be the cause of some very severe bruising (I'm told a 3L cylinder swung at head height can be very painful).

Wish me luck.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Stop wussing about, tell her you earnt it, you'll spend it. OK so it may not avoid the bruising but #### it'll give the rest of us a bit of a laugh. Or you could say it will go well with the twin-tank decos when you decide to go that way, might deflect her a bit, probably not though and remember whatever you tell her she WILL remember till she dies so make it good.
Matt

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

And on the subject on ponies, I posted this on the dark side, but no replies so either no-one has any opinions or I have been sent to Coventry...

Ponies are next up on the want list...but do I go ally and side slung, or steel and back mounted?

Ally - I can easily detach it from my BC to hand into the rib seperately and I can swing my BC on myself and then attach pony (I would struggle lifting both up from ground level to put on, which is necessary at those thoughtless spots with no wall, benches, rails etc to support it whilst i wriggle in!)

Steel - the more standard material, backmounted is out the way, it is what everyone else assumes you will do..

Torn....any offers of advice, opinion or piddle-taking for being such a weak girlie to even consider these things!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Lou - I've got a 3l Faber steel and have both tried back-mounting (keeps it out of the way but you really need it left switched on. And side-slung  - turn on when ya need a bit awkward in the short-term to get used to.

I'm gonna stick to side-slung from here on in because if I'm using stages in the future the technique will already be in place. I'm not anti back-mounting tho'.

My advice try both and see what feels best for you. On the weight issue I have used a 15 and backmounted pony and you can sling the lot up on yer own but I wouldn't recommend it.

Tim,

Tell her that after you've done the TDI Adv Nitrox that you'll be able to legally purchase 100% O2 and it's a great hangover cure?

Just a thought ...

(Edited by Gavin Yates at 2:19 pm on Oct. 16, 2002)

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

No, no, you want to tell her its all a question of priorities.........

or you could tell her you have also spent the dosh for christmas on more diving gear and you`ve booked next years family holiday on a liveaboard in the Maldives!!!!

Take the kicking for everything all at once, get it over and done with!

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Lou
there were loads of replies on the dark side, this is part way down the thread http://www.diverforum.co.uk/talkforums/equipmenttalk/posts/10399.html
(page 2 or maybe 3 I think)

there are others as well on page 1.

Ben - good plan, can you come and tell my wife that one next week whilst I'm at Stoney.
Cheers mate you're a real pal!
Matt

(Edited by MATTBIN at 2:25 pm on Oct. 16, 2002)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Ah, they were posted after I had switched off that thread because it was time for the dive show....oops, apologies to the dark side.

So, maybe Steel and side mounted then?

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

All,

thanks, I see you only have my wellbeing at heart.

Heads, I like the cut of yer jib matey.  That's the one to go for!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Tim - don't lie - she'll know, they always know ... and then they punish you. I haven't got over my missus finding out about the egg whisk and the German flying helmet but that's another story.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

I got a better one for you....

Tell the wife that the girlfriend bought it for you. Tell her that your bit on the side always buys you nicer presents than she does.

Trust me........

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Tahts cos they all share the same brain, as in Startrek collective thingy, you know 4 of 96 or whatever. Agree dont lie, she will find out and that will cost BIG TIME, and you'll bugger it for the rest of us cos she'll tell her mates who'll tell their mates ad infinitum. Then we'll all be lieing bastards, #### they think that anyway, do it lie!
Matt

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Tim - putting the female viewpoint across, can i suggest something "off the wall"?  Tell her the truth.  She will probably be so shocked that you have owned up (she will already know everything and be waiting for you to tell her)that you can then continue to distract her with compliments, flowers and a romantic dinner for two....

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

Lou... Touche.

Thats tou-chay - not touch-ie BTW.

(Edited by Timing at 2:54 pm on Oct. 16, 2002)

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Rank idea. That costs money, think of the dive kit you could buy if you saved the cost of all that malarkey.
Take your beating like a man!

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

You romantic, big girls blouses.
Your suppose to be Yorkshiremen.

Tell her you like what you buy and youll buy what you bl**!y well like.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Imported post

Actually, like Lou, I'm a big softy southener - there I'm out of the closet!  Hope that explains all my behaviour to you all.

Ben,  I am becoming more sure that you'll find a way to keep that weight belt - having me killed by my wife should just about ensure it ;-)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts